Yanny or Laurel

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Donuthole
    Official Outgayer
    • Nov 2008
    • 25268

    #16
    Originally posted by Commando View Post
    I hear both at the same time.
    Yep. (Though admittedly, the n sounds more like an m to me. Yammy and Laurel. Or even a muddled w. Yawwy)
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

    Comment

    • CJF
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 8497

      #17
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      LOL @ CJF!
      I KNEW IT!
      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

      Comment

      • Flystripper
        Degenerate Gambler
        • Nov 2008
        • 14094

        #18
        I can hear them both now the Yanny is lighter and kind of in the background for me. If I listen through my crappy computer speakers I hear Laurel if I am close and Yanny if I am more than 5 feet away. I can literally hear it transition as I step away.
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37987

          #19
          Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
          I can hear them both now the Yanny is lighter and kind of in the background for me. If I listen through my crappy computer speakers I hear Laurel if I am close and Yanny if I am more than 5 feet away. I can literally hear it transition as I step away.
          I just tried that - putting my ear right next to the speaker I hear laurel. As I move back I hear Yanny.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • mtnbiker
            it's all a blur
            • Mar 2009
            • 2573

            #20
            Yanny. I don't hear anything resembling an L or an R. I hear ee-annie.

            Comment

            • smokymountainrain
              Impressive Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22593

              #21
              yanny
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

              Comment

              • Surfah
                Where's Wallace?
                • Nov 2008
                • 33726

                #22
                A fight that's consumed the Internet and ruined productivity in offices everywhere for the past few days is over. It's officially "Laurel," not "Yanny."


                It's laurel.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

                Comment

                • Pelado
                  Bald not naked
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 21142

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  It's not exactly yanny to me. I'm not hearing the "n" sound in the middle. It's more like "yeah-e".
                  Just listened to the clip through my computer speakers and it was pretty clearly "laurel". Previously was listening through my phone.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

                  Comment

                  • LiveCoug
                    LA Ute loves me
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 18488

                    #24
                    I hear laurel, wife yanny

                    Comment

                    • Green Monstah
                      Royal Rooter
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 13961

                      #25
                      I hear yanny. This is way more interesting than gray/pink dress. I can't hear L or R at all.
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                      "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 37987

                        #26
                        I find it changes based on the quality of the speakers.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69711

                          #27
                          OK, check out this video:



                          Once you isolate the two components and then listen again, I can hear both at the same time.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • mtnbiker
                            it's all a blur
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 2573

                            #28
                            pretty crazy. On the headphones at work, it sounded like yanny. On my phone and home computer, it sounds like laurel.

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69711

                              #29
                              Check this out:

                              https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...el-debate.html

                              Use the slider to emphasize different parts of the sound wave. Now I hear both parts clearly. Crazy how the brain just picks up one or the other initially.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • SCcoug
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 7625

                                #30
                                I tried that yesterday. Went from hearing only yanny to either depending on slider position and direction to only laurel.

                                I wonder how I'd react initially if there were no word suggested before I heard the clip.

                                Comment

                                Working...