2018 deaths thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Color Me Badd Fan
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 12519

    #91
    Tom Wolfe.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

    Comment

    • PaloAltoCougar
      Semper infra dignitatem
      • Nov 2008
      • 16938

      #92
      Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
      Tom Wolfe.
      Bummer, I loved his stuff in the '80s (The Right Stuff, From Bauhaus to Our House, Bonfire of the Vanities, etc. and later with A Man in Full). I liked that he dressed like an upscale temple officiator.

      Comment

      • happyone
        Board Bookworm
        • Mar 2009
        • 5398

        #93
        Novelist Philip Roth



        He was 85

        I may be small, but I'm slow.

        A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

        Comment

        • happyone
          Board Bookworm
          • Mar 2009
          • 5398

          #94
          For those old enough to remember to beginnings of the 49's 80s dynesty

          Dwight Clark who was on the receiving end of "The Catch" passed away from ALS

          Dwight Clark, who made one of the most famous catches in NFL history, died Monday -- 15 months after he announced he had been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. He was 61.

          I may be small, but I'm slow.

          A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

          Comment

          • PaloAltoCougar
            Semper infra dignitatem
            • Nov 2008
            • 16938

            #95
            Originally posted by happyone View Post
            For those old enough to remember to beginnings of the 49's 80s dynesty

            Dwight Clark who was on the receiving end of "The Catch" passed away from ALS

            http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/0...ls-battle.html
            Very sad. He was a very good person as well as a great athlete, and is responsible for one of the top two or three Bay Area sports memories.

            Comment

            • happyone
              Board Bookworm
              • Mar 2009
              • 5398

              #96
              Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              Very sad. He was a very good person as well as a great athlete, and is responsible for one of the top two or three Bay Area sports memories.
              In addition to seeing the replay and actually watching the game (on TV) what really brings it close to home is that I turn 61 next month. Way, Way too young!

              I may be small, but I'm slow.

              A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

              Comment

              • Dwight Schr-ute
                Members Only
                • May 2011
                • 4917

                #97
                Kate Spade gets one more bag. Another suicide.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                Comment

                • YOhio
                  Hipster Mode
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26165

                  #98
                  Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                  Kate Spade gets one more bag. Another suicide.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  So sad.

                  Comment

                  • Dwight Schr-ute
                    Members Only
                    • May 2011
                    • 4917

                    #99
                    Anthony Bourdain committed suicide.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                    Comment

                    • YOhio
                      Hipster Mode
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 26165

                      #100
                      So sad.

                      Comment

                      • myboynoah
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 21719

                        #101
                        Wow.
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                        For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                        Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                        Comment

                        • old_gregg
                          scaly man fish
                          • Nov 2009
                          • 16915

                          #102
                          that is one that sucks a lot
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                          Comment

                          • Dwight Schr-ute
                            Members Only
                            • May 2011
                            • 4917

                            #103
                            Several years ago, I was in a downtown Vegas restaurant for lunch. They were clearly set up for filming some sort of video segment we debated sticking around when we were done eating to see what the excitement was about. Decided to go back to the office. Was watching Parts Unknown about a year later and it was the segment we missed out on. Probably missed Bourdain by 15 minutes.


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                            Comment

                            • MartyFunkhouser
                              Disciple of RNGesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 18754

                              #104
                              Bourdain is awesome and this sucks. He was an absolutely brilliant storyteller.
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

                              Comment

                              • MartyFunkhouser
                                Disciple of RNGesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 18754

                                #105
                                This is the way to remember Anthony Bourdain.

                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

                                Comment

                                Working...