No announcement yet.

Take a Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading to Kenya and maybe Uganda on a work trip in July. Starting a three year project. Hoping to take my wife on one of my trips to do a safari, etc.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
      Has any one here planned a Safari or gone on one. Looking for reputable company, but also don't want to break the bank.

My mom and dad had one planned last spring, but with his health issues, they had to cancel.

My mom really wants to go still after my dad's passing, so I am going to tag along and keep her safe.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

We were thinking of a South Africa one and then hit Victoria Falls (she really wants to see that). But are open to suggestions.
      My retired partner takes a lot of African trips. She took her parents one year with this outfit:

https://www.naturalmigrations.com/

She recommended them and still plans trips with them.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

Thanks.

After doing a lot of searching today, I also found the Costco travel option. https://costco.ttc.com/en-us/vacatio...nerary-section

I will check these out as well.
        That's a very good deal. The only concern I'd have is the size of the group. On safari, You want to have only a few (no more than 6, 8 tops) and be sure to have a "window" seat.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

That's a very good deal. The only concern I'd have is the size of the group. On safari, You want to have only a few (no more than 6, 8 tops) and be sure to have a "window" seat.
          They say they are small group safaris. I will enquire as to the group size.

Comment

• So, my wife and I decided to do a Norwegian cruise this summer and will be in London for a few days. Having never been to the UK, I first and foremost want to brush up on historical sites so I can identify them in timeguessr. Besides that, I know there is at least one Anglophile on the board. What are your recommendations while we are there? We have 2 nights there before and after the cruise. I'm particularly interested in good hotels with good locations that aren't too expensive.

I think we both want to see a musical, probably a Les Miserable matinee. If you would recommend something else, let me know.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
              So, my wife and I decided to do a Norwegian cruise this summer and will be in London for a few days. Having never been to the UK, I first and foremost want to brush up on historical sites so I can identify them in timeguessr. Besides that, I know there is at least one Anglophile on the board. What are your recommendations while we are there? We have 2 nights there before and after the cruise. I'm particularly interested in good hotels with good locations that aren't too expensive.

I think we both want to see a musical, probably a Les Miserable matinee. If you would recommend something else, let me know.
              London is very tourist friendly. You can buy an all-day public transit pass (or multi-day) to ride the tube which is easy to use and efficient. They also have double-decker buses with an open top you can hop on and off. They list the sites visited by the bus route on the side. You should do the main sites:

Buckingham Palace
              Big Ben - Westminster Abbey
              St. Paul's Cathedral
              London Bridge/Tower of London
              etc.

I would also recommend the British Museum if you can squeeze it in. It is pretty spectacular. It has all the stuff they looted from around the world (Egypt, Greece, the Orient, etc). Including the Rosetta Stone.

I was in London for 24 hours last week for a meeting. Pretty impressed with British efficiency overall. Going through customs was a breeze.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

So, my wife and I decided to do a Norwegian cruise this summer and will be in London for a few days. Having never been to the UK, I first and foremost want to brush up on historical sites so I can identify them in timeguessr. Besides that, I know there is at least one Anglophile on the board. What are your recommendations while we are there? We have 2 nights there before and after the cruise. I'm particularly interested in good hotels with good locations that aren't too expensive.

Shows are so cheap, go see a couple of them.

My favorites in no particular order:
                Imperial War Museum
                Churchill War rooms
                Tower of london
                Sky Garden (free and great view)
                British Museum
                St Pauls Cathedral
                Westminster Abbey
                National Gallery

Comment

• What shows have you seen?

When we went in 2020 some in our family saw: Wicked, The Lion King, Les Miserables, and Matilda (this was everyone's favorite)

I have also seen Hades Town (broadway, was excellent but not for everyone), Hamilton, and Moulin Rouge. Those are all good choices as well.

Comment

Good call on Les Mis. We've seen a few plays there and that one is my favorite so far.

We've had good luck with Hilton brand hotels as far as value and comfort. With status you can get a free full breakfast at most of them as well. I always like to stay close to a tube station to conserve on walking at to be able to save time getting to and from. I've stayed at the DoubleTree across from Victoria Station and the Hilton connected to Paddington Station a couple times each and they've been pretty good.

Skip the London Eye. My favorite place to visit is Westminster Abbey. Pay extra and look around upstairs. There's some really cool stuff up there including a copy of the Magna Carte. You can get lunch around the corner at a Pub named Westminster Arms. The dining room is inside, downstairs. And if you can book a tour of Houses of Parliament, that's pretty cool as well. There are certain times of year you can take a tour inside Buckingham Palace as well. Believe it or not, I haven't had the opportunity yet. Tower of London and the Tower Bridge are both really cool. Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square are as well.

There really is so much to see that I would let your interests be your guide. If you would like more specific information on any particular topic, let me know. I'd be happy to talk on the phone or meet over lunch as well.

Comment

• My wife isn't interested in Hamilton. I'm thinking Les Miserable and Matilda might be good. My wife did just see Matilda at the Middle School on Monday. Wicked and The Lion King might be just as good state side.

Is Moulin Rouge the same songs and story as the 2001 movie?

Comment

My wife isn't interested in Hamilton. I'm thinking Les Miserable and Matilda might be good. My wife did just see Matilda at the Middle School on Monday. Wicked and The Lion King might be just as good state side.

Is Moulin Rouge the same songs and story as the 2001 movie?
                        No interest in Hamilton? SAD! Would be interesting to see Hamilton in London as it features a gay version of King George and the kicking England's ass at Yorktown.

We had low expectations for Moulin Rouge but loved it.

They are all just as good stateside. But the London theater is as good as Broadway so you will have a ton of choices and production quality and talent are top-notch. That being said, if you deciding between the theater and something like Westminster Abbey, skip the theater.

Comment

• My advice, don’t eat English food unless it’s fish and chips.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            My advice, don’t eat English food unless it’s fish and chips.
                            Ha. English breakfast is an abomination. Beans? Gross.

But in general, there is plenty of fantastic food in England. I had some of the best Thai food I have ever had last week in Reading.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              My advice, don’t eat English food unless it’s fish and chips.
                              Cornish Pasty? Sunday roast dinner with Yorkshire pudding? There are quite a few English foods besides Fish & Chips that are good to try.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Ha. English breakfast is an abomination. Beans? Gross.

But in general, there is plenty of fantastic food in England. I had some of the best Thai food I have ever had last week in Reading.
                                Exactly. When I London, eat Thai or Indian food. There’s even a five guys by Leicester square in case you need a real meal.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X