No announcement yet.

Take a Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to Great Britain and Denmark for 12 days tomorrow. 2 days in London, 4 days in Scotland, 2 in Copenhagen and then back to London and finally home

We are going with Mrs Happy's BFF since Kindergarten and are kinda letting them set the agenda (thus the side trip to Denmark). I made some suggestions on what I would like to see, but I really don't have any must sees.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
      Off to Great Britain and Denmark for 12 days tomorrow. 2 days in London, 4 days in Scotland, 2 in Copenhagen and then back to London and finally home

We are going with Mrs Happy's BFF since Kindergarten are kinda letting them set the agenda (thus the side trip to Denmark). I made some suggestions on what I would like to see, but I really don't have any must sees. I
      Have fun! I'm totally jealous.

Comment

Off to Great Britain and Denmark for 12 days tomorrow. 2 days in London, 4 days in Scotland, 2 in Copenhagen and then back to London and finally home

We are going with Mrs Happy's BFF since Kindergarten are kinda letting them set the agenda (thus the side trip to Denmark). I made some suggestions on what I would like to see, but I really don't have any must sees.
        Hope if goes well. I would appreciate any findings that would help my trip this summer.

Comment

• I have suggested Hampton Court or Greenwich while in London and we have a trip to Sterling while in Scotland (one of my great grandfather's was born there). Being a Shakespeare fan, I would like to see the Globe Theater and take in a play, Westminster Abbey is also a possiblity, but.... Mrs. Happy's BFF's husband served a mission is Scotland, so he is definately planning that leg.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

I have suggested Hampton Court or Greenwich while in London and we have a trip to Sterling while in Scotland (one of my great grandfather's was born there). Being a Shakespeare fan, I would like to see the Globe Theater and take in a play, Westminster Abbey is also a possiblity, but.... Mrs. Happy's BFF's husband served a mission is Scotland, so he is definately planning that leg.
            I really enjoyed Hampton Court.

Comment

We are going with Mrs Happy's BFF since Kindergarten and are kinda letting them set the agenda (thus the side trip to Denmark). I made some suggestions on what I would like to see, but I really don't have any must sees.
              How are you getting between London, Scotland, and Denmark? Flying?

Originally posted by happyone View Post
              I have suggested Hampton Court or Greenwich while in London and we have a trip to Sterling while in Scotland (one of my great grandfather's was born there). Being a Shakespeare fan, I would like to see the Globe Theater and take in a play, Westminster Abbey is also a possiblity, but.... Mrs. Happy's BFF's husband served a mission is Scotland, so he is definately planning that leg.
              I found Hampton Court and Westminster Abbey both really cool.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• We are flying, I suggested a train between London and Scotland and BFF said hard no. Appearently she had a "bad" experience with them on a previous trip to GB.

Back in '08 I visited the grounds of Westminster and Parlwment, but didn't go in either, didn't have the 25 pounds plus in wasn't on the priority list. I've seen a couple of TV programs by Lucy Worsly on Hampton Court and it sounds fascinating, plus I know a bit of its history

Comment

We are flying, I suggested a train between London and Scotland and BFF said hard no. Appearently she had a "bad" experience with them on a previous trip to GB.

Back in '08 I visited the grounds of Westminster and Parlwment, but didn't go in either, didn't have the 25 pounds plus in wasn't on the priority list. I've seen a couple of TV programs by Lucy Worsly on Hampton Court and it sounds fascinating, plus I know a bit of its history
                  I met (sort-of) Lucy Worsley at Hampton Court while she was filming in the Chapel Court Garden, although she wasn't in costume. At first I chatted with her staff who were very friendly and said "please watch our shows" and then Lucy came over towards her staff and I said, "I love your shows" and she said, "You have good taste, sir!". And then she whisked off with her staff to some other place.

I think I posted that somewhere on here before.

EDIT: Ah, yes, I did: https://www.cougarstadium.com/forum/...05#post2303305

Comment

• My wife asked the theater folk at her work about London shows. They recommended Mary Poppins (which doesn't appear to be playing anymore), Hadestown, Six, and Back to the Future.

We ended up getting tickets for Les Miz and Back to the Future.

I will let you how they were

Comment

• back from Europe - the weather for the most part cooperated We only had day and a half of rain/mist and that was in London.

We lost a day in London because our flight was an hour late leaving SLC and we only had a 45 min layover at JFK. Mrs Happy got a notice from Delta as we were landing at JFK that our London flight had departed. They booked us on an Virgin Atlantic flight that left about 4 hrs later, but that basically killed the first day in London.

Got tickets on one of the sightseeing tour buses and ended up going to the Tower (the couple we went with really wanted to see it) and to Portobello (as in the mushroom) Street in the Notting Hill area of London (basically a large flea market). We also did a Thames Riverboat tour in conjunction with the Tower. That was interesting. I did get to see the Globe Theater from the river.

Scotland was everything I hoped. One word of warning - they only allow a limited nr of people in Edinburgh Castle per day. We went up about noon Saturday and they were already sold out. We immediately booked a tour for Sunday and were able to get in. I was in heaven. As a military history buff, there were not one, not two, but three different military museums. Two regimental and the the Scottish National war museum, plus the Scottish war memorial. It was fun to wander around. We went to Sterling Castle the next day and it was better IMHO, not so crowded. When we couldn't get into the castle, we wandered down the Royal Mile ( a shopping street that runs from the Castle down to Holyrood Palace. We then took in the Scottish National Art Gallery. The gallery was free and worth every penny . I must have spent 3 - 4 hours there. A word of warning about the castles - they are both quite a climb from the train stations, doable, but fairly steep and on cobble stone road as that

We flew Ryan Air from Edinburgh to Copenhagen. Work of warning - don't, they nickel and dime you to death. There is a reason the flights are so cheap!

Copenhagen was great. Again we took the sightseeing bus tour and went from there. Also took a harbor/canal tour. Saw the "Little Mermaid" statue from both the sea and the land. We wandered through the old citadel. It is an old star fort (built in the 1600s), but it still used by the Danish Military. There are guards posted at one entrance, but not the other. The grounds are just beautiful! The tulips were out which added to the beauty. We also stopped and went into Tivoli Garden amusement park, it is right in downtown Copenhagen, again wonderful gardens in addition to all the rides ( of which we did not partake ). Supposedly Walt Disney got the inspiration for Disneyland from Tivoli.

My main memory of Denmark will be the bicycles - everybody is riding one. The bike lanes are built into the streets and God forbid you are walking in one when a cyclist comes by. At a minimum you will get a dirty look/scowl. Other than the bike lanes. everyone was pleasant, spoke English and went out of their way to be helpful.

Well worth the time - must make time to go again.

For the most part, we stayed in AirBnBs and had delightful hosts. I've really come to prefer them to regular hotels

I guess that is about it.

Comment

back from Europe
                        Glad you had a good time!

Comment

• Excellent report, happy. Thanks!
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Glad you had a good time Happy. The Edinburgh castle is great.

Now I need to go see Copenhagen.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Copenhagen was great. Again we took the sightseeing bus tour and went from there. Also took a harbor/canal tour. Saw the "Little Mermaid" statue from both the sea and the land. We wandered through the old citadel. It is an old star fort (built in the 1600s), but it still used by the Danish Military. There are guards posted at one entrance, but not the other. The grounds are just beautiful! The tulips were out which added to the beauty. We also stopped and went into Tivoli Garden amusement park, it is right in downtown Copenhagen, again wonderful gardens in addition to all the rides ( of which we did not partake ). Supposedly Walt Disney got the inspiration for Disneyland from Tivoli.
                              You didn't go to Freetown Christiania?
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Aaaaaaaaaah, no

We saw it from the tour boat though

The tour guide on the boat said the authorities are tightening up on activities there

Comment

Working...
                                X