Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you used to buy, but now you rent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sex

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      Sex
      Do you also rent something that cures E.D.?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        Do you also rent something that cures E.D.?

Can't rent those as they can't be re-used. Does remind me of something someone said after a golf round. Overheard him tell his friend he was going to leave his "pump" to him when he died.

Comment

Time - I rent it out to the highest bidder.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

I used to buy copies of MS Office. Used to cost $495 for the suite for personal use. When I decided to move all my records and files to the cloud, I looked at Google and Drop Box, but Microsoft was the cheapest provider, and their cloud came with a desktop version of Office at home, and an internet version of Office everywhere else I go. So now I pay $49 per year for a couple of gigs of cloud storage, and "rent" Office for free.

Comment

I rent movies on Amazon once in a while. Not that I don't buy movies on there time and again, but some are one and dones. That's all I got.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                2. Tires
                ... So when your set of tires only has 2,000 miles on them, and someone slashes one tire...
                Does this happen often to you? I have never had anyone slash any of my tires. Ever.

Maybe you need to go rent a home in a nicer neighborhood?

Comment

Sure. Blame the victim.

Comment

Sure. Blame the victim.
                    If you didn't flaunt those sexy tires...

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      Shaka made me think of one more thing I rent. Music. I subscribe to Spotify Prime but am thinking of moving to Amazon Music once their family plan is available.
                      Great example. Everyone used to buy music, but there is no point anymore. Just rent it.

1. Cell phones
                      They are so expensive, that you get them on credit, make monthly payments. But you can never hope to pay them off before they become obsolete, so the next year when the phone manufacturer upgrades the phone, they give you credit back for what your current phone is worth, and give you a new phone and now you make monthly payments on a new phone. Just like I said, you never really own a phone anymore.
                      Terrible example. You aren't renting a phone. You are purchasing it on a two-year installment plan. At the end of that period it is yours with no strings attached. If you want to sell it, that is fine, but the very fact that you have the freedom to sell it proves that you are not renting.

2. Tires
                      With All Wheel Drive, you can't just buy a single tire any more. You have to buy them in sets of 4, because the tread has to be the same on all four tires. So when your set of tires only has 2,000 miles on them, and someone slashes one tire, now you have to get all four replaced. And its not like you can buy just one tire and have that tire ground down to match the tread, because doing that will void the tire warranty. Not to worry-- you have tire hazard insurance or at the very least, they will prorate the cost of the other 3 tires, since they are practically new. And then when your tires finally wear out, your new set will be the purchase price, less whatever the tires are valued at given their pro rated price. Rental city.
                      Even worse example. Once you buy those tires, they are yours.

I only recall encountering your scenario once, btw.

LES Legacy Seats.
                      Worst example yet. You never purchased those seats outright. You always purchased the right to sit in them. A right which you can sell to others.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

DVDs.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          G

Terrible example. You aren't renting a phone. You are purchasing it on a two-year installment plan. At the end of that period it is yours with no strings attached. If you want to sell it, that is fine, but the very fact that you have the freedom to sell it proves that you are not renting.
                          Ask around; many younger people especially millenials do NOT exercise the option to continue paying on their phone for the second year. They just trade the phone in and start paying on a newer model phone, effectively just "renting." The very fact that many people never intend to actually pay the entire balance owing proves they are renting.

Comment

I used to buy copies of MS Office. Used to cost $495 for the suite for personal use. When I decided to move all my records and files to the cloud, I looked at Google and Drop Box, but Microsoft was the cheapest provider, and their cloud came with a desktop version of Office at home, and an internet version of Office everywhere else I go. So now I pay $49 per year for a couple of gigs of cloud storage, and "rent" Office for free.
                            You can get by with "a couple gigs" of cloud storage?
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Katy lied
                              LES legacy seats.
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Worst example yet. You never purchased those seats outright. You always purchased the right to sit in them. A right which you can sell to others.
                              I read this as a dis on byu and its search for a conference: whereas in the past she would have loved to have byu season tickets, now for whatever reason (6 straight losses to utah, unappetizing home schedules, prop 8, etc) she finds the thought distasteful and would rather just rent in the event she finds a new team which better aligns with her values.

Made sense to me, kl.

Comment

Ask around; many younger people especially millenials do NOT exercise the option to continue paying on their phone for the second year. They just trade the phone in and start paying on a newer model phone, effectively just "renting." The very fact that many people never intend to actually pay the entire balance owing proves they are renting.
                                A distinction without a difference. That is like trading in your car for a new model before you have paid off the loan. Still fundamentally different from renting. You are also ignoring the $200-300 upfront charge on a new phone (a good one, that is).

Furthermore, how does this fit into the category of "things you used to buy, but now you rent"? When did phone companies ever not entice you to pay a cheaper up front price (a downpayment basically) in exchange for a two-year contract?
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X