My computer at work was re-imaged the other day to "update" it to Windows 10. Among other odd side-effects, I was no longer to log into cougarstadium.com. Or, rather, I would log in, the site would welcome me, then redirect to the homepage, and I was no longer logged in. I had the same problem with other websites, such as cougarboard, but no problem with facebook, etc. This happened with Chrome, Edge (the new IE), as well as Firefox.
Over the weekend I saw some reports that other people had the same problem, but if they used an incognito window, they could log in and stay logged in. So I tried that this morning and found that I was able to stay logged in. That seemed pretty strange to me, so I fired up Fiddler to watch the internet traffic on the machine.
When I logged into CS, it would use www.cougarstadium.com, but when it redirected, it would go to cougarstadium.com, without the 'www'. Looking at the cookies, the user id cookies were stored in the www.cougarstadium.com version, but not in the cougarstadium.com cookie. I tried logging into other vbulletin websites, and saw that they stored user id cookies in both the www and non-www version of their cookies. So instead of typing cougarstadium.com in the address bar of the browser, I entered the full www.cougarstadium.com address. Voila, login worked, even though I wasn't in an incognito window. (I'm not sure why the incognito window made any difference - I didn't bother to track that down.)
Now I wonder if I was always using www in my bookmark on the old OS or whether this is a new issue. Anyway, I thought I'd write it up in case anyone else runs into the problem. I don't know if there's a setting in vbulletin that causes the user id cookies to be stored or read in both versions of the site cookies; I'll leave it to Jeff to decide whether to look into that or not.
Over the weekend I saw some reports that other people had the same problem, but if they used an incognito window, they could log in and stay logged in. So I tried that this morning and found that I was able to stay logged in. That seemed pretty strange to me, so I fired up Fiddler to watch the internet traffic on the machine.
When I logged into CS, it would use www.cougarstadium.com, but when it redirected, it would go to cougarstadium.com, without the 'www'. Looking at the cookies, the user id cookies were stored in the www.cougarstadium.com version, but not in the cougarstadium.com cookie. I tried logging into other vbulletin websites, and saw that they stored user id cookies in both the www and non-www version of their cookies. So instead of typing cougarstadium.com in the address bar of the browser, I entered the full www.cougarstadium.com address. Voila, login worked, even though I wasn't in an incognito window. (I'm not sure why the incognito window made any difference - I didn't bother to track that down.)
Now I wonder if I was always using www in my bookmark on the old OS or whether this is a new issue. Anyway, I thought I'd write it up in case anyone else runs into the problem. I don't know if there's a setting in vbulletin that causes the user id cookies to be stored or read in both versions of the site cookies; I'll leave it to Jeff to decide whether to look into that or not.
Comment