The lullabye thread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UtahDan
    *
    • Nov 2008
    • 14496

    #1

    The lullabye thread.

    On the theme of fathers' day:

    I sing my to kiddo every night before bed. Here are songs I sing (sometimes all but not usually).

    Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam
    Tell me the Stories of Jesus
    I Think When I Read
    Twinkle, Twinkle....
    You are My Sunshine
    Got an Angel on My Shoulder
    You Belong to Me
    Til there was You
    Golden Slumbers

    There are others, but those are the main ones. What do you sing to your little ones?
    Last edited by UtahDan; 06-22-2009, 06:27 AM.
  • Babs
    Not a Lawyer
    • Nov 2008
    • 17128

    #2
    I always sang either "you are so beautiful" or "american pie" to mine.

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #3
      Originally posted by Babs View Post
      I always sang either "you are so beautiful" or "american pie" to mine.
      Past tense?
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • bluegoose
        7th round draft pick
        • Nov 2008
        • 4121

        #4
        My son if sooo over singing bedtime songs, but my girls would have me sing to them for hours every night if I would. We've got a bunch, but here are a few that we seem to come back to:

        I am a child of God
        Families are Forever
        Give said the little stream
        I hope they call me on a mission
        I love to see the temple
        John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith
        Rainbow connection (their favorite)
        Sing (They love the Carpenters for some reason)
        Good night, ladies

        Comment

        • creekster
          It is NOT a monkey!
          • Nov 2008
          • 22661

          #5
          I wrote a couple fo songs i used ot play anad song on the guitar for my kids. Too shy to share the lyrics. typical bedtime stuff
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

          Comment

          • HBCoug
            Peanut Gallery Asshat
            • Dec 2008
            • 2082

            #6
            I Will -- the Beatles
            Kathy's Song -- Simon & Garfunkel
            Dream Big -- Ryan Shupe

            They like the folksy stuff. My son usually insists on "Child of God" too.

            Comment

            • SeattleUte
              Faith crisis consultant
              • Nov 2008
              • 20837

              #7
              No Brahms' lullabies?
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

              --Jonathan Swift

              Comment

              • UtahDan
                *
                • Nov 2008
                • 14496

                #8
                Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                No Brahms' lullabies?
                I'm sure you would be tickled to know that I play her a classical cd every night at bed time that includes all the masters, including Brahms. If the cd is not playing when she gets put down, there is a riot. I also have to admit, it has increased my apprieciation and familiarity with classical music which normally I appreciate on an intellectual level but don't ever put on to listen to.

                Comment

                • Indy Coug
                  Heartless Bastard
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 18747

                  #9
                  Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
                  Comfortably Numb
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

                  http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                  Comment

                  • Surfah
                    Where's Wallace?
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 33726

                    #10
                    I wrote a lullabye and tune for my daughter. I like to sing her "House at Pooh Corner." She usually gets mad at me when I sing and tells me to stop.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #11
                      We sing all kinds of stuff to the kids, depending on what they request. Never more than a few songs each night otherwise it would take forever.

                      I am happy to see a few non-traditionals on other lists here. For example, I sing "Tonight, You Belong To Me" to my kids (UtahDan, not sure if that is the same as yours) and they still enjoy that one. I saw it for the first time as a kid on the movie "The Jerk" and have always liked the song (although I don't bust out the Bernadette Peters trumpet solo when putting the kids to sleep).

                      Also, Rainbow Connection (they love the Muppets) and I Will by the Beatles are great ones.

                      I think by far the one they all enjoy and want to sing almost every night is "I Love to see the Temple." They still say "this is my secret duty," which I think is cool.

                      We do the usual primary tunes as well....Give Said, Hope they call me, Jesus Wants Me for a sunbeam, et al. These are fun because they are easy for the kids to sing and the lyrics are simple.

                      A few non-traditional ones that I sing to them....most were the result of having 3 kids at once and not being able to ease into the process of putting babies to sleep....I just started singing songs that I knew and enjoyed.....and they all have parts that allow the kids to sing along

                      Wave of Mutilation by the Pixies (they all sing the end part....Wa--aa--aave)
                      Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead (they all sing the "it wears me out"....)
                      Saint Simon by The Shins (they sing the la da da das, although by the end of the song, it is just a big mess of la da da das)
                      Careless Whisper (yes! started out as a joke, kind of still a joke....I can never get through the entire song because it is a ridiculous tune...but the chorus is fun to sing)

                      And my wife and I always close with the same tune....it is a tradition from my wife's childhood, but I think it is cool, too.....I guess growing up her parents would sing the Lawrence Welk song, Bubbles in the Wine...."Goodnight...sleep tight...and pleasant dreams to you...Here's a Wish and a prayer that every dream comes true...and now 'til we meet again....adios, au revoir, auf weidersehen." Good night!
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • creekster
                        It is NOT a monkey!
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22661

                        #12
                        also golden slumbers/the end.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                        Comment

                        • smokymountainrain
                          Impressive Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22593

                          #13
                          My kids used to like all the traditional primary songs that have been mentioned above and Rock-a-bye baby, but the one they liked the best and always put them sound asleep, was The Gambler. My wife refused to sing that to them, but when I was the one putting them to bed, that was the most popular request.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

                          Comment

                          • UtahDan
                            *
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14496

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            I wrote a lullabye and tune for my daughter. I like to sing her "House at Pooh Corner." She usually gets mad at me when I sing and tells me to stop.
                            That is a great song. Loggins actually has a whole children's cd he has done that is pretty fun. I know, dork alert. But I like it.

                            Comment

                            • UtahDan
                              *
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14496

                              #15
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              I am happy to see a few non-traditionals on other lists here. For example, I sing "Tonight, You Belong To Me" to my kids (UtahDan, not sure if that is the same as yours) and they still enjoy that one. I saw it for the first time as a kid on the movie "The Jerk" and have always liked the song (although I don't bust out the Bernadette Peters trumpet solo when putting the kids to sleep).
                              The one I sing is actually on old Duprees song that I became acquainted with when Ben Taylor (James Taylor's son) covered it. This is it. Just ignore that someone used it for the dumb "Jim and Pam" collage they did.

                              EDIT: Apparently embedding is disabled. Here is the link:



                              Your "non-traditional" reminds me that I also sing Such Great Heights. So many people have said Rainbow Connection, I may have to add that. Great song. Fake Plastic Trees is also a great idea.

                              Comment

                              Working...