View from your office

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16940

    #76
    Originally posted by Gidget View Post
    Let's lighten this up

    This is the usual view from my office:


    [YOUTUBE]3Mx9TB7RCBg[/YOUTUBE]
    Ah, thats'a cute. And I enjoyed your reaction when she fell the first time: laughter! Way to go, Supermom.

    Seriously, most parents learn very quickly that unless the child is genuinely hurt, laughter or at least a smile is way better than looks of concern. There's a critical moment when the kid looks up for your reaction, and if you act really worried or act sickenly empathetic, they unleash the tears. Better to laugh and they're usually over it quickly. In the few cases where you may have underestimated the injury, you can apologize on the way to the emergency room.

    Comment

    • RobinFinderson
      Banned
      • Nov 2008
      • 10548

      #77
      Originally posted by Gidget View Post
      Let's lighten this up

      This is the usual view from my office:


      [YOUTUBE]3Mx9TB7RCBg[/YOUTUBE]
      Lovely Gidget. She is a doll!

      Comment

      • Gidget
        Philosophical Goldilocks
        • Nov 2008
        • 1312

        #78
        PAC, I laughed because it was funny. Especially since I was holding the camera, and she had fallen out of the frame. Though it did ease her being stunned by the fall, I actually just was laughing AT her and not with her. Am I still a super mom?
        I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

        You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

        Comment

        • PaloAltoCougar
          Semper infra dignitatem
          • Nov 2008
          • 16940

          #79
          Originally posted by Gidget View Post
          PAC, I laughed because it was funny. Especially since I was holding the camera, and she had fallen out of the frame. Though it did ease her being stunned by the fall, I actually just was laughing AT her and not with her. Am I still a super mom?
          Absolutely. Our family video archives are filled with scenes where one of the kids crashes, falls, drops something, etc., and my annoying laughter (more like a bray) can be heard over the anguished squeals of the victim. Mr. Sympathy I am not, but in most cases, it helped defuse the situation. I enjoyed the video, not only because she was so cute, but because your reaction was exactly what mine would have been. We can step up to the award stand, or be kicked out of the concerned parents club, together.

          Comment

          • Gidget
            Philosophical Goldilocks
            • Nov 2008
            • 1312

            #80
            Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Absolutely. Our family video archives are filled with scenes where one of the kids crashes, falls, drops something, etc., and my annoying laughter (more like a bray) can be heard over the anguished squeals of the victim. Mr. Sympathy I am not, but in most cases, it helped defuse the situation. I enjoyed the video, not only because she was so cute, but because your reaction was exactly what mine would have been. We can step up to the award stand, or be kicked out of the concerned parents club, together.
            The only time I have been Mrs. Sympathy was a few weeks ago. I have seen needles stuck in Leah's head, I have seen her be twisted, pulled, cut, squished beyond belief (she was a 10week early preemie some of these things come with that territory) and can you believe that when I put a suppository in her little butt a few weeks ago, I balled. She was in so much pain (I think the glycerin was burning) and crying that I cried right along with her. I think the sympathy was that I had caused it. Most of the time I just laugh at her, so does Surfah. It has made her pretty tough though. I think I am in your camp PAC.
            I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

            You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

            Comment

            • Gidget
              Philosophical Goldilocks
              • Nov 2008
              • 1312

              #81
              Originally posted by Gidget View Post
              The only time I have been Mrs. Sympathy was a few weeks ago. I have seen needles stuck in Leah's head, I have seen her be twisted, pulled, cut, squished beyond belief (she was a 10week early preemie some of these things come with that territory) and can you believe that when I put a suppository in her little butt a few weeks ago, I balled. She was in so much pain (I think the glycerin was burning) and crying that I cried right along with her. I think the sympathy was that I had caused it. Most of the time I just laugh at her, so does Surfah. It has made her pretty tough though. I think I am in your camp PAC.
              I'll add that my laughter sometimes does sound fake, I have been told that a lot in my life and can easily be mistaken as me feigning it for the purpose of her not overreacting.
              I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

              You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

              Comment

              • landpoke
                Never once baby snatched
                • Nov 2008
                • 4183

                #82
                Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                Why is landpoke getting off scott free here. He started the whole mess.
                It's an old Hindu fakir trick I picked up while stationed in Bengal during the Raj.
                There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                …
                Tomorrow is Saturday
                And Sunday comes afterwards

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #83
                  I love that view, SU.

                  If I could convince my wife, I would live in the Seattle area, but she is a sun worshiper and wouldn't be able to handle annual precipitation. She absolutely hated the two weeks we spent in the NW when we were still considered newlyweds. She didn't like the rain for part of a day/clear for part of the day weather we experienced.
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • Tim
                    Not Banned
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 4390

                    #84
                    Here's the view from our office:

                    Attached Files
                    Visca Catalunya Lliure

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #85
                      Tim - I've always suspected the Japanese were more technologically advanced and your photo proves it. Florescent light housings suspended in the sky rock. I can't wait until we have that here in America.
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      • UteStar
                        Sexiest Poster in Town
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 2419

                        #86
                        Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                        I never posted a nude photo of myself! That is a lie. I posted a photo of myself in a Speedo. BIGGG difference.
                        C'mon, BIGGG? Now you are just bragging. We don't need that kind of bravado around here!

                        Comment

                        • YOhio
                          Hipster Mode
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 26165

                          #87
                          Originally posted by UteStar View Post
                          C'mon, BIGGG? Now you are just bragging. We don't need that kind of bravado around here!
                          Stop drooling UteStar.

                          Comment

                          • YOhio
                            Hipster Mode
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 26165

                            #88
                            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            Why is landpoke getting off scott free here. He started the whole mess.
                            Have you seen his view? Working there is punishment enough.

                            Comment

                            • landpoke
                              Never once baby snatched
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 4183

                              #89
                              Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              Have you seen his view? Working there is punishment enough.
                              The land is a hellscape of soul killing suckitude, but the pay's low so....
                              There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                              Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                              Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                              Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                              …
                              Tomorrow is Saturday
                              And Sunday comes afterwards

                              Comment

                              • Borg
                                Tour de CS 2013?
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 1501

                                #90
                                I think all of your views "suck".

                                My office has no windows whatsoever. Zero, nada...zip. Sucks.
                                "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

                                Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

                                Comment

                                Working...