First Birthdays

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DrumNFeather
    Invisible Swordsman
    • Nov 2008
    • 8854

    #1

    First Birthdays

    So, my daughter turns one this upcoming weekend (can't believe it has been a year). We're having a modest get together with a few friends and family. Nothing spectacular.

    What is your stance on the first b-day? All out? Small gathering? Nothing at all?
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
  • JohnnyLingo
    La Naranja
    • Nov 2008
    • 3976

    #2
    Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    So, my daughter turns one this upcoming weekend (can't believe it has been a year). We're having a modest get together with a few friends and family. Nothing spectacular.

    What is your stance on the first b-day? All out? Small gathering? Nothing at all?
    Small gathering, family only. My wife made a cake for the adults, and also baked a smaller one for the kid to go to town on. We bought him a couple toys and called it good.

    Comment

    • marsupial
      Mississippi Queen
      • Nov 2008
      • 3678

      #3
      Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
      So, my daughter turns one this upcoming weekend (can't believe it has been a year). We're having a modest get together with a few friends and family. Nothing spectacular.

      What is your stance on the first b-day? All out? Small gathering? Nothing at all?
      For my oldest we had a few neighbors over for dessert. My son was so freaked out by everyone staring at him in his high chair, and I was too worried about calming him down to snap a picture of him with his cake. I don't think he touched his cake, anyway.

      When my daughter turned 1, I had invited some friends over and had planned on doing a cake. I sprained my wrist the day before and postponed the event. While we did eventually have them over to eat, I never ended up making her a cake or doing anything to celebrate her birthday. So again, another child with no first b-day picture.

      We'll be on vacation for our third's 1st birthday. I have no intentions of bothering with a cake or anything. This way I can at least say I treated them all the same. I know, I totally suck.
      What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
      -Teenage Dirtbag

      Comment

      • Coach McGuirk
        1
        • Nov 2008
        • 12109

        #4
        My stance, small to do about nothing.

        My wife's stance, Mtv Sweet Sixteen.

        Comment

        • LiveCoug
          LA Ute loves me
          • Nov 2008
          • 18489

          #5
          My little boy turns 1 in 2 weeks... We will be at a family reunion in Yellowstone. The plan is to have some cupcakes (with one candle for the boy) and then opening presents. Then he can just play with his cousins. I'm sure we will have some helium balloons and streamers. Nothing too crazy.

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #6
            We did a big thing when the Puffy Check turned one.

            However, it was more a "thank you" to everyone that helped us during the pregnancy, NICU, and bringing the kids home. My family, my wife's family, so many ward members and friends, and even several of the NICU nurses and the team of doctors that delivered them were able to pop by and say hello. It was like a wonderful reunion without the cheesy matching t-shirts.

            Now that I think about it, the party itself wasn't anything special. Each baby was given a little cake with a candle and we had some basic party favors. We specified "no gifts" because it is annoying having to buy 3 presents for a party. We had Wahoos cater, so everyone enjoyed the delish tastes and textures of fish, chicken, or beef tacos, taquitos, rice, spicy beans, guac, and lots of other goodness.

            We definitely wanted to have so many people there to celebrate with us because it was a big deal for us to make it through that first year in one piece.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • cougjunkie
              *Banned*
              • Nov 2008
              • 23223

              #7
              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              We did a big thing when the Puffy Check turned one.

              However, it was more a "thank you" to everyone that helped us during the pregnancy, NICU, and bringing the kids home. My family, my wife's family, so many ward members and friends, and even several of the NICU nurses and the team of doctors that delivered them were able to pop by and say hello. It was like a wonderful reunion without the cheesy matching t-shirts.

              Now that I think about it, the party itself wasn't anything special. Each baby was given a little cake with a candle and we had some basic party favors. We specified "no gifts" because it is annoying having to buy 3 presents for a party. We had Wahoos cater, so everyone enjoyed the delish tastes and textures of fish, chicken, or beef tacos, taquitos, rice, spicy beans, guac, and lots of other goodness.

              We definitely wanted to have so many people there to celebrate with us because it was a big deal for us to make it through that first year in one piece.
              Yesterday at church I actually thought about you (more so then usual). We had 9 kids in nursery and they were all going crazy, I was thinking about Jon and Kate plus 8, Octo-mom and TripletDaddy (you have more then just lots of kids in common) and I realized that I would absolutely go insane and that there is no way I could handle more then one 3 year old for an extended period of time, let alone 3, 6 or 8.
              *Banned*

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #8
                Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                Yesterday at church I actually thought about you (more so then usual). We had 9 kids in nursery and they were all going crazy, I was thinking about Jon and Kate plus 8, Octo-mom and TripletDaddy (you have more then just lots of kids in common) and I realized that I would absolutely go insane and that there is no way I could handle more then one 3 year old for an extended period of time, let alone 3, 6 or 8.
                I thought of you yesterday. Our Stake President addressed the congregation with power and authority. The Spirit was strong in the chapel and people were moved to tears. I thought, "Cougjunkie would be an awesome stake president!"

                ps whenever we go to the in-laws, all the sisters bring their kids over. So there are 6 grandkids running around screaming. Drives me nuts. I go on vacation and it is actually more stressful than being at home. Plus, every parent thinks that other people don't mind when their kids are noisy. Memo to those parents: nobody likes to hear screaming noisy kids. My wife's sisters drop their kids off "to play with their cousins" and we wind up watching them for most of the day. Boo!
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • FN Phat
                  I ♥ gateway sex
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 8691

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                  My stance, small to do about nothing.

                  My wife's stance, Mtv Sweet Sixteen.
                  Exactly how I feel.

                  For our daughter's b-day, we had a big luau. It was great to get together with family and friends, and the food was delish. Great experience, but just not worth the headache.

                  Our son got screwed because we had recently moved across the country. Just us and I liked that much better. My wife, not so much.
                  I'm your huckleberry.


                  "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                  Comment

                  • Color Me Badd Fan
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 12519

                    #10
                    It was unavoidable for our daughter who turned one last January. She is the first and so far only grandchild on my wife's side of the family and her mom absolutely adores our daughter. So, a big deal was made.

                    Our daughter is no. 12 on my side of the family and she's one of nine girls. My dad publicly laments that his sons aren't producing enough penises in their offspring. My parents sent her a dress and some books.

                    A mini baby boom is going to occur on my wife's side around this time next year. Her younger sister is now planning on trying starting in August, her older sister in September and my wife's birth control runs out in, I believe, August (or maybe that's when the last prescription gets filled). Given how long it took my wife to get pregnant last time she got off birth control, she may beat her two sisters again by getting pregnant come September. My wife talks a big game about waiting a long time between children ("I'm thinking we should wait until the baby's three") but now she's chomping at the bit.
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #11
                      Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                      So, my daughter turns one this upcoming weekend (can't believe it has been a year). We're having a modest get together with a few friends and family. Nothing spectacular.

                      What is your stance on the first b-day? All out? Small gathering? Nothing at all?
                      The 1st birthday is more for the parents and extended family than for the kid, but it really doesn't have to be a big gathering.

                      My only advice is to get one cake for everyone and one cake for the child, as watching the little one go to town on a cake is the highlight of the birthday. Don't deny yourselves that fun and take lots of pictures and/or video.
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      Working...