Python: How to Begin Programming?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Indy Coug
    Heartless Bastard
    • Dec 2008
    • 18747

    #1

    Python: How to Begin Programming?

    So I'm watching some YouTube videos on Python and I'm getting increasingly interested in using this as a tool. For the CS members that are already experienced users, what are your suggestions for getting Python up and running?

    Code base?
    Libraries?
    Developer tools?
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats
  • pelagius
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5288

    #2
    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    So I'm watching some YouTube videos on Python and I'm getting increasingly interested in using this as a tool. For the CS members that are already experienced users, what are your suggestions for getting Python up and running?

    Code base?
    Libraries?
    Developer tools?
    For general programming or data analysis programming?

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #3
      Both.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69717

        #4
        sudo apt-get install python2.7
        Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 07-20-2015, 07:32 AM.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • pelagius
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 5288

          #5
          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          Both.
          Anaconda Python Distribution

          If you want to do any data analysis type programming (and it sets you up just fine for general programming) use Anaconda:


          Anaconda automatically installs not only base python but also the defacto standard scientific and data libraries. For you the most important library is,
          • Pandas: http://pandas.pydata.org/ (the documentation and tutorials are pretty good. Python for Data Analysis is the pseudo-canoncial book but it's little old given the pace of pandas development).

          • Pandas is primarily built on the following lower level libraries: numpy (scientific array library ... like Matlab), scipy, and matplotlib.


          General programming:
          • Pythons online docs and tutorials are pretty good: https://docs.python.org/3/

          • Python also has a big video library from the PyCons. Check out some of the Python 101 type videos: http://pyvideo.org/category

          • Introductory Books: I like Quick Pythoyn and Python: The Essential Reference

          • Stackoverflow is very active for python


          Data Programming:


          Note

          You can do either python 2.7 or 3.4 in the scientific/data python world. The scientific/data world has been pretty good about porting to python 3
          Last edited by pelagius; 07-19-2015, 10:21 PM.

          Comment

          • Indy Coug
            Heartless Bastard
            • Dec 2008
            • 18747

            #6
            Excellent information. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
            Everything in life is an approximation.

            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

            Comment

            • pelagius
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 5288

              #7
              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              Excellent information. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
              Also, one of the things I did improve my python/pandas skills after initially learning it was to answer questions on stackoverflow. I answered questions for like 1.5 months

              Comment

              • YOhio
                Hipster Mode
                • Nov 2008
                • 26165

                #8
                I only use PyDev as my IDE for Eclipse. That's how I roll.

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #9
                  Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  I only use PyDev as my IDE for Eclipse. That's how I roll.
                  It's python on the command-line with vim for the editor for me. I don't need no stink'n IDE.

                  Homebrew is your friend when it comes to installing modules, etc. on OS X.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • pelagius
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5288

                    #10
                    Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    I only use PyDev as my IDE for Eclipse. That's how I roll.
                    That reminds me Indy.

                    I think most people in the data analysis/data scientist space are basically using the iPython Notebook as their IDE: http://ipython.org/ (it will be automatically installed with anaconda). Although, I think on windows some are still using the python plugin for Microsoft Visual Studio.

                    Comment

                    • BigFatMeanie
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7116

                      #11
                      I don't often use python, but when I do, I prefer vim. Stay vimmy, my friends.

                      Comment

                      • old_gregg
                        scaly man fish
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 16915

                        #12
                        lol @ you dorks
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                        Comment

                        • Indy Coug
                          Heartless Bastard
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 18747

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          It's python on the command-line with vim for the editor for me. I don't need no stink'n IDE.

                          Homebrew is your friend when it comes to installing modules, etc. on OS X.
                          I spent (wasted) 5 years of my life doing Pascal software development using vim in a UNIX environment. I guess at least I didn't have to worry about punch cards.
                          Everything in life is an approximation.

                          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                          Comment

                          • Indy Coug
                            Heartless Bastard
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 18747

                            #14
                            Does anyone use Pycharm as their IDE? Thoughts? Which other IDEs are worth considering?
                            Everything in life is an approximation.

                            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                            Comment

                            Working...