The linguist in me finds this interesting:

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #1

    The linguist in me finds this interesting:

    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.
  • JohnnyLingo
    La Naranja
    • Nov 2008
    • 3976

    #2
    This firmly establishes Texas as part of the South, not the West.

    Comment

    • il Padrino Ute
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 19161

      #3
      My wife calls it a refill.
      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

      Comment

      • Pheidippides
        Liberal Feminazi
        • Nov 2008
        • 14759

        #4
        Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
        This firmly establishes Texas as part of the South, not the West.
        I've been saying this as long as I've lived here. However, I am in Houston, which is a far different (and far more Southern) town than Dallas or San Antonio, in my view.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

        Comment

        • RobinFinderson
          Banned
          • Nov 2008
          • 10548

          #5
          The linguist in you?! Freaking TMI.

          Yes, the map is very interesting, but in the future please just say, "A linguist I know finds this interesting." Or some equivalent.

          Comment

          • Surfah
            Where's Wallace?
            • Nov 2008
            • 33726

            #6
            It's always been soda to me.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

            Comment

            • ERCougar
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10978

              #7
              Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
              This firmly establishes Texas as part of the South, not the West.
              Also, Cedar City.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

              Comment

              • Indy Coug
                Heartless Bastard
                • Dec 2008
                • 18747

                #8
                That's a helluva lot of sampling to get that kind of breakdown. My guess is that many of these counties have very, very few respondants.
                Everything in life is an approximation.

                http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                Comment

                • Indy Coug
                  Heartless Bastard
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 18747

                  #9
                  So what is the pocket of "Other" in NC and VA? Sodapop?
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

                  http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                  Comment

                  • Surfah
                    Where's Wallace?
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 33726

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    So what is the pocket of "Other" in NC and VA? Sodapop?
                    I only hear soda where I'm at.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • beelzebabette
                      Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 2907

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      So what is the pocket of "Other" in NC and VA? Sodapop?
                      I was a little bit hoping there'd be a Shasta pocket in Utah.

                      Comment

                      • RobinFinderson
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10548

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                        So what is the pocket of "Other" in NC and VA? Sodapop?
                        Beer? Bud Light? Hooch?

                        Comment

                        • creekster
                          It is NOT a monkey!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22661

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                          That's a helluva lot of sampling to get that kind of breakdown. My guess is that many of these counties have very, very few respondants.
                          I thought the same thing. Look at Alaska; The big blue chunk in the middle looks pretty good but probably is based on responses from a few drunks in a bar in Moosebutt, Alaska.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                          Comment

                          • Pheidippides
                            Liberal Feminazi
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14759

                            #14
                            Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            I thought the same thing. Look at Alaska; The big blue chunk in the middle looks pretty good but probably is based on responses from a few drunks in a bar in Moosebutt, Alaska.
                            I'm sure there are quite a few places where you have about three respondants. Doesn't make it any less interesting to me, but I suspect the colors might change just a bit if you had a larger sample size.

                            Also, what is going on in that pocket of Missouri? Damn carpetbaggers.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                            Comment

                            • CardiacCoug
                              вот так штука
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 11013

                              #15
                              Interesting. When I moved to St. Louis from Utah, I called it pop.

                              Locals looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Where are you from?"

                              Turns out from the map that St. Louis is "80-100% Soda" territory.

                              Comment

                              Working...