Wireless Access Point- Whats Good?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Drunk Tank
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 2569

    #1

    Wireless Access Point- Whats Good?

    I get horrible reception from my U-Verse modem/wifi router. I drop out even the next room over from where the modem is and Netflix etc. is horribly slow due to poor connectivity. I went to see a buddy of mine who owns his own audio/video shop to look at getting cat 6 drops installed in every room, and he suggested that I get a stand alone WAP. He recommended the Luxul XAP-1500, and said he would give me a "bro" deal of $500, instead of $600. He promises it will cure all my wifi blues.

    Is anyone familiar with this brand? I had never heard of it until today, and at $500 am a little hesitant to pull the trigger. I came across another brand, Ubiquiti Networks, and it looks like they sell something similar the UniFi UAP-Pro Enterprise Wifi System. The specs look compatible to the Luxul, but for 1/2 the price.

    Anybody with experience in this area have any recommendations or suggestions on these or can you suggest any other products I should look at?
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III
  • The_Tick
    Made something of myself
    • Nov 2008
    • 7291

    #2
    Lol. What did he say about wired drops?

    How many neighbors are on Uverse? That can affect data speeds also. Regardless of what the speed test websites tell you you should be getting.

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69676

      #3
      That would be a waste of money. Buy one of these:

      The most powerful Mac laptops and desktops ever. Supercharged by Apple silicon. MacBook Neo, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac mini, and Mac Studio.


      I get strong signal through my entire house (rambler with a basement) and 6-700 mbps throughput. Very reliable. Simple setup and interface. Others here have installed it with good success.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • Joe Public
        8.1 YPC
        • Apr 2011
        • 8524

        #4
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        That would be a waste of money.
        I agree with the stranger. I tried using a wireless router from a service provider once, and mine didn't work well either. I picked up a decent Netgear router for under $100, and it works great.
        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

        "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

        Comment

        • Drunk Tank
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 2569

          #5
          So does the AirPort work well for those of us without gigabit internet?
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #6
            Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
            So does the AirPort work well for those of us without gigabit internet?
            Works flawlessly for me. My router was in my basement and so I was getting poor coverage on other floors throughout the house. I ditched the router for wifi, installed some airport bases and now I have full coverage in every corner of my house. Added bonus: based on the placement of my tower, I also have great coverage in much of my backyard.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69676

              #7
              Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
              So does the AirPort work well for those of us without gigabit internet?
              Your local network is (or should be) gigabit. So when you transfer files between your computers or stream video within your home, you want high capacity, regardless of whatever bandwidth you have coming into your house. But let's forget that for a second and talk about signal strength. I used to use three wifi access points at various locations in my house. Then I got the AAE tower and put it in the middle of my house and I get a strong signal everywhere. I have sold off my old access points as I don't need them anymore. And like DDD, I now have a nice wifi signal in my backyard. Works like a champ. I love it.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Drunk Tank
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 2569

                #8
                Awesome. Going to head to the apple store this afternoon to take a look.
                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                  Awesome. Going to head to the apple store this afternoon to take a look.
                  They have an Apple Store in Bakersfield?
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • Drunk Tank
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 2569

                    #10
                    Yep. We are high tech!
                    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                    Comment

                    • Uncle Ted
                      The Big 12 money shot.
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 28853

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                      I get horrible reception from my U-Verse modem/wifi router. I drop out even the next room over from where the modem is and Netflix etc. is horribly slow due to poor connectivity. I went to see a buddy of mine who owns his own audio/video shop to look at getting cat 6 drops installed in every room, and he suggested that I get a stand alone WAP. He recommended the Luxul XAP-1500, and said he would give me a "bro" deal of $500, instead of $600. He promises it will cure all my wifi blues.

                      Is anyone familiar with this brand? I had never heard of it until today, and at $500 am a little hesitant to pull the trigger. I came across another brand, Ubiquiti Networks, and it looks like they sell something similar the UniFi UAP-Pro Enterprise Wifi System. The specs look compatible to the Luxul, but for 1/2 the price.

                      Anybody with experience in this area have any recommendations or suggestions on these or can you suggest any other products I should look at?
                      Ubiquiti networks has some very hacker friendly and fast stuff. Of course, this may not be what you want.

                      If you want something that you can plug in and it works then go with the airport extreme. If you are picking up a lot of your neighbor's access points then you may need to manually switch to a channel that they are not using. Most modern access points will try to find an open channel but sometimes get confused. See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3900962?tstart=0 for a discussion on how to manually set your channel.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • Drunk Tank
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 2569

                        #12
                        I picked up the extreme at Best Buy. They had it $15.00 off and I didn't have to deal with tracking down an apple store employee to ring me up. As soon as I am home from watching the UFC fights, it is getting installed. Can't wait.
                        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                        Comment

                        • Drunk Tank
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 2569

                          #13
                          Works like a charm!
                          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69676

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                            Works like a charm!
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            Working...