Omaha. Somewhere in the Middle of America: The Business Travel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    For the record, Omaha does have great places to eat.

I spent nearly two years commuting to Denver. That sucked, but the city itself didn't (apart from the aggressive panhandlers and the potheads camping out on storefronts at night).

I used to do inspections/survey in some remote areas. But the worst city was probably Beaumont, TX. Flew into Houston in the middle of the summer and proceeded to drive east and it got continuously hotter, dirtier, and uglier the farther east I went.
    I haven't been there for work, but I can attest to Beaumont's name being a total lie.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Some weird places that I've done audits:

- Delta, UT (ate snow crab at a restaurant)
      - somewhere near Price, UT (spent time in a coal mine that collapsed a couple years later)
      - Billings, MT (fabulous sandwich shop downtown)
      - West Palm Beach, FL (the hood, not the beach)
      - Shreveport, LA

Lately my travel is limited to Singapore and London (both at least once a year), which is actually kind of cool.
      "Actually" kind of cool? Yeah, wouldn't think Singapore or London would be cool at all!
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
        "Actually" kind of cool? Yeah, wouldn't think Singapore or London would be cool at all!
        Ha, well I had no idea travel would be part of my job but I should have figured that since I have staff in both places. Managing a team in Singapore sucks though since I find myself having calls at all times of the day/night. It's by far the cleanest place I've ever visited....although there is very little in tourist attractions.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Lately I've been spending a lot of time in Canada, and Calgary specifically. I quite like it up there. I've also been to LA, Beijing and Tokyo at this my current job. Outside chance of another Asian trip this year.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I rarely travel for work anymore. Other than corporate trainings in Denver and the occasional out of state closing I attend.

My previous job I traveled quite a bit, always the same destinations.

Redding, Ca
            Woodinville, Wa
            Chino, Ca

Spent quite a bit of time in all 3 places, the most in Chino, followed by Woodinville. Woodinville would be fine if I had time to get to Seattle, but alone it sucks. Redding (no offense to a few CSers) but where I stayed was dumpy. It is also hot as hell in thesummer. Chino is famous for its prison.
            Last edited by cougjunkie; 01-09-2014, 02:14 PM.
            *Banned*

Comment

CJ you'll have to explain to Grace where Woodinville is, seeing as it is more than 10 minutes from downtown he probably has never heard of it. That's a great cut off point to catch 522 and beat traffic heading North.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                Burley, ID.
                Tacoma, Wa.
                Barstow, CA.
                Waukegan, Ill.
                Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                Yeah, but at least I gave an explanation, unlike others, to explain the poor rating. Although Barstow probably needs no further explanation.
                Originally posted by hostile View Post
                My uncle used to be the police chief in Barstow.
                Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                Are you bragging, or complaining? Anyway, it was SMR, not me, that first mentioned Barstow.
                Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                Just don't anyone speak ill of Barstow.
                Well anyway, who would of thought that work would bring me to Barstow? SMR's a prophet. This post's for you, DH.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                  Well anyway, who would of thought that work would bring me to Barstow? SMR's a prophet.
                  We are almost neighbors at this point.

Comment

In the last few months:

Buffalo, NY
                    Spanish Fort, AL
                    Wilmington, DE

I will not be planning future vacations to any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      We are almost neighbors at this point.
                      Yeah unfortunately here I am again at Fort Irwin. Swore I'd never return after last year, but here I am nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                        In the last few months:

Buffalo, NY
                        Spanish Fort, AL
                        Wilmington, DE

I will not be planning future vacations to any of them.
                        Responding to a year old post...

My boss and two people on my team are in Wilmington, so I get out there about four times a year. I agree with Omaha's assessment. I've probably spent about 150 nights in Wilmington since 2006, maybe 200. At least now there are two restaurants which I quite like, which was not the case ten years ago.

I have a sister in law who grew up in Wilmington. On a recent trip to Ireland she posted on Facebook that Cork "seems like the Wilmington of Ireland". I felt that this is not a sentence that you would say on vacation unless it preceded "And we will never use that travel agent again".

I will be there again in about a week, so if anyone else will be there, or just wants recommendations on Wilmington eats, hit me up!

Comment

Yeah unfortunately here I am again at Fort Irwin. Swore I'd never return after last year, but here I am nonetheless.
                          Man it is even hotter than last year too. Bummer

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            Man it is even hotter than last year too. Bummer
                            No kidding. With all the smoke in the air, I was hoping it would take the edge off the heat by insuring the sun, but I'm not feeling it that way.

Comment

No kidding. With all the smoke in the air, I was hoping it would take the edge off the heat by insuring the sun, but I'm not feeling it that way.
                              The smoke is bad. Yesterday I had the second worst air quality in the nation of any city.

Death valley just had the hottest month they have ever recorded. There were like 8 days in a row that it didn't drop below 100 for the low.

Stay hydrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                                Responding to a year old post...

My boss and two people on my team are in Wilmington, so I get out there about four times a year. I agree with Omaha's assessment. I've probably spent about 150 nights in Wilmington since 2006, maybe 200. At least now there are two restaurants which I quite like, which was not the case ten years ago.

I have a sister in law who grew up in Wilmington. On a recent trip to Ireland she posted on Facebook that Cork "seems like the Wilmington of Ireland". I felt that this is not a sentence that you would say on vacation unless it preceded "And we will never use that travel agent again".

I will be there again in about a week, so if anyone else will be there, or just wants recommendations on Wilmington eats, hit me up!
                                Wilmington is one of the more depressing cities I have stayed in. Just empty and decaying. It doesn't appear to have experienced any of the revitalization that many city centers have in the past decade. But I've only been a couple times.

I have been on a decent run for business travel. Long Beach and New York twice last month. Chicago next week, New York and Portland, Maine next month (during peak fall foliage!). I can deal with these trips. Cleveland and Albany are lurking as possibilities though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X