University Police Suck

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RobinFinderson
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 10548

    #1

    University Police Suck

    Nothing in particular brought this to mind this morning... maybe 71's 'dead to me' thread got me thinking in general about stuff that sucks, and the first thing that came to mind is University Police (lax child labor laws in Indonesia was a close 2nd).

    University Police suck. Why should a private university like BYU own an official branch of the local law enforcement? Aren't BYU's University Police just a bunch of glorified jay-walking-ticket-giver a-holes whose primary reason for existence is to enforce trespassing laws whenever a loud-mouthed apostate wants to stir something up in the heart of cougar country? A man should be able to walk across campus in a flesh colored naked suit without getting harassed by Johnny Law... at least that is how this Libertarian sees it.
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #2
    Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    Nothing in particular brought this to mind this morning... maybe 71's 'dead to me' thread got me thinking in general about stuff that sucks, and the first thing that came to mind is University Police (lax child labor laws in Indonesia was a close 2nd).

    University Police suck. Why should a private university like BYU own an official branch of the local law enforcement? Aren't BYU's University Police just a bunch of glorified jay-walking-ticket-giver a-holes whose primary reason for existence is to enforce trespassing laws whenever a loud-mouthed apostate wants to stir something up in the heart of cougar country? A man should be able to walk across campus in a flesh colored naked suit without getting harassed by Johnny Law... at least that is how this Libertarian sees it.
    Why single out BYU's police. I think most Universities have their own cops. Your attacks on BYU are another reason you are dead to me and I won't respond to any of your posts.

    Comment

    • RobinFinderson
      Banned
      • Nov 2008
      • 10548

      #3
      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      Why single out BYU's police. I think most Universities have their own cops. Your attacks on BYU are another reason you are dead to me and I won't respond to any of your posts.
      You are correct in that all University Police suck, but BYU's version strikes me as particularly Taliban-esque, since 'trespassers' are essentially identified by their non-adherence to LDS religious customs.

      But the other day I was up near SC watching a little pack of storm troopers bust people for talking on cell phones while driving around the campus. What a bunch of fascists.
      Last edited by RobinFinderson; 05-27-2009, 07:50 AM.

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69752

        #4
        BYU police let my son off the hook. Not once, but twice. They are fine by me.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #5
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          BYU police let my son off the hook. Not once, but twice. They are fine by me.
          My only ticket ever received was from a University Cop who pulled me over on North Canyon Road into LES parking lot. I was cited for going 10 over there. The speed limit is a deceptive 25 mph there because of the residential homes on the north side across from the MC, though as you travel west there is nothing but the stadium parking lot and the baseball/softball fields. The sign was also obstructed by a tree. I told the cop that I had never been ticketed before and asked if he really was going to give me my first for going 35 in a 25. All he said was, "There's a first for everything."
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69752

            #6
            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            My only ticket ever received was from a University Cop who pulled me over on North Canyon Road into LES parking lot. I was cited for going 10 over there. The speed limit is a deceptive 25 mph there because of the residential homes on the north side across from the MC, though as you travel west there is nothing but the stadium parking lot and the baseball/softball fields. The sign was also obstructed by a tree. I told the cop that I had never been ticketed before and asked if he really was going to give me my first for going 35 in a 25. All he said was, "There's a first for everything."
            That stinks.

            I got pulled over for 45 in a 25 on campus once. Talked my way out of it.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • RobinFinderson
              Banned
              • Nov 2008
              • 10548

              #7
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              That stinks.

              I got pulled over for 45 in a 25 on campus once. Talked my way out of it.
              It sounds like Jeff Jr. inherited his father's silver tongue. But not everyone is blessed with such skillful appendage, which is why University Police suck.

              Isn't it cool when BYU police cite BYU students with trespassing on BYU campus when the students demonstrate against BYU policy? University police suck in general, but BYU Police are especially sucky.

              Comment

              • byu71
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 22070

                #8
                They broke into our apartment once when my ex and I were having an intimate moment. Seems the folks in the apartment next door thought her screams were due to abuse going on.

                I still had to go before the honor committee to explain what would cause her to scream like that during intimacy. They were sure I was breaking some kind of rule.

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #9
                  Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                  They broke into our apartment once when my ex and I were having an intimate moment. Seems the folks in the apartment next door thought her screams were due to abuse going on.

                  I still had to go before the honor committee to explain what would cause her to scream like that during intimacy. They were sure I was breaking some kind of rule.
                  Are you sure those were University Police? I thought they were BYU Academy Police back then.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • Indy Coug
                    Heartless Bastard
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 18747

                    #10
                    I always enjoyed working at the Marriott Center, but not being allowed to park there.
                    Everything in life is an approximation.

                    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                    Comment

                    • byu71
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22070

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      Are you sure those were University Police? I thought they were BYU Academy Police back then.
                      Nice, you just made the list.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69752

                        #12
                        Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                        It sounds like Jeff Jr. inherited his father's silver tongue. But not everyone is blessed with such skillful appendage, which is why University Police suck.
                        The cops called me and reported that my son and his friends had been busted throwing firecrackers at EFY attendees. I assured the officer that I would take of the situation at home. I was quite surprised when they agreed. I thought he was a goner.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • RobinFinderson
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10548

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          The cops called me and reported that my son and his friends had been busted throwing firecrackers at EFY attendees. I assured the officer that I would take of the situation at home. I was quite surprised when they agreed. I thought he was a goner.
                          Your son sounds pretty awesome.

                          Comment

                          • FMCoug
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 6825

                            #14
                            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            I still had to go before the honor committee to explain what would cause her to scream like that during intimacy. They were sure I was breaking some kind of rule.
                            That's the best honor code story yet. LOL!
                            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                            Comment

                            • DU Ute
                              RIP CUF
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 7393

                              #15
                              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                              They broke into our apartment once when my ex and I were having an intimate moment. Seems the folks in the apartment next door thought her screams were due to abuse going on.

                              I still had to go before the honor committee to explain what would cause her to scream like that during intimacy. They were sure I was breaking some kind of rule.
                              Your neighbor probably just wanted to figure out what you were doing to elicit such a response.
                              "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                              "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                              "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

                              Comment

                              Working...