Major more important than school

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69711

    #1

    Major more important than school

    According to a Georgetown economist, that is. Forget about trying to get your kid into a top school. Get them to pick the right major.

    What you major in has a bigger influence over your income than where you go to school, according to Anthony Carnevale, an economist at Georgetown University. The graph below is based on Carnevale's research — and it shows the huge range in median earnings for people with different majors.
    In terms of income, what you major in matters more than where you go to school. Here are the 10 majors where graduates have the highest incomes — and the majors where incomes are lowest.


    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
  • Indy Coug
    Heartless Bastard
    • Dec 2008
    • 18747

    #2
    Pure common sense.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

    Comment

    • YOhio
      Hipster Mode
      • Nov 2008
      • 26165

      #3
      We get it. You're an engineer and you're rich. Just cut to the chase and say it.

      Comment

      • Guest

        #4
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        According to a Georgetown economist, that is. Forget about trying to get your kid into a top school. Get them to pick the right major.



        In terms of income, what you major in matters more than where you go to school. Here are the 10 majors where graduates have the highest incomes — and the majors where incomes are lowest.


        I testify with every fiber of my electrical engineer being, that this is true.

        Comment

        • cougjunkie
          *Banned*
          • Nov 2008
          • 23223

          #5
          I can't trust a guy that went to Georgetown.
          *Banned*

          Comment

          • San Juan Sun
            Kicked to the curb
            • Dec 2009
            • 9214

            #6
            LOL @ all the "pre-meds" dragging down the average.
            "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

            - Ty Cobb

            Comment

            • ERCougar
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10978

              #7
              Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
              LOL @ all the "pre-meds" dragging down the average.
              Lol. If "pre-med" is your major, you're not ever going to be "med".
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

              Comment

              • Lost Student
                BAND!
                • Nov 2008
                • 4324

                #8
                True story: when I was deciding on a major during the first week of my first semester at Y, I knew that I wanted to do some kind of engineering, but I didn't know which. I saw a similar chart that had ChE as the highest paying so I cursorily picked it. For some reason, 18 year-old me didn't think that decision was worth taking five minutes to consider other factors. Lo, these many years later, I wish that I had picked EE instead.
                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                  True story: when I was deciding on a major during the first week of my first semester at Y, I knew that I wanted to do some kind of engineering, but I didn't know which. I saw a similar chart that had ChE as the highest paying so I cursorily picked it. For some reason, 18 year-old me didn't think that decision was worth taking five minutes to consider other factors. Lo, these many years later, I wish that I had picked EE instead.
                  I started as a math major but decided all the career paths in that major were not interesting so I switched to EE and CompE.

                  I have a daughter that is a ChE grad. After seeing the compensation and benefits package she has I wished I was in ChE instead.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69711

                    #10
                    Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    We get it. You're an engineer and you're rich. Just cut to the chase and say it.
                    My branch of engineering isn't even listed.

                    Pharmacy sciences/administration #2? That one surprised me.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Uncle Ted
                      The Big 12 money shot.
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 28853

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      My branch of engineering isn't even listed.

                      Pharmacy sciences/administration #2? That one surprised me.
                      Hmm... I need to talk to daughter #3 about her major.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • TripletDaddy
                        sweet triple
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 58186

                        #12
                        Whoa. Liberal arts and social science majors earn the lowest salaries??
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • old_gregg
                          scaly man fish
                          • Nov 2009
                          • 16915

                          #13
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          Whoa. Liberal arts and social science majors earn the lowest salaries??
                          but they learn how to learn.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                          Comment

                          • woot
                            Resident Science Cop
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 5531

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            According to a Georgetown economist, that is. Forget about trying to get your kid into a top school. Get them to pick the right major.



                            In terms of income, what you major in matters more than where you go to school. Here are the 10 majors where graduates have the highest incomes — and the majors where incomes are lowest.


                            Again, this is true if your only goal is money. It's an important consideration, but universities aren't vocational schools.

                            Comment

                            • Pelado
                              Bald not naked
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 21142

                              #15
                              Originally posted by woot View Post
                              Again, this is true if your only goal is money. It's an important consideration, but universities aren't vocational schools.
                              ???

                              What else is there?
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

                              Comment

                              Working...