Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian View Post
    nethack
    LOL. nethack is responsible for lowering my college GPA by at least 0.2.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Getting more comfortable with this thing, but I can't believe how buggy the Mac OS is. Way more buggy than Windows. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Getting more comfortable with this thing, but I can't believe how buggy the Mac OS is. Way more buggy than Windows. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.
        I had the same thought as I would force close multiple apps on a daily basis.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

You must be using Microsoft Office.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I realized long ago that both operating systems had their problems. By far the most stable computer I've ever had was a self built machine running 7.

I love Macs but they aren't all that and a bag of chips.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              I realized long ago that both operating systems had their problems. By far the most stable computer I've ever had was a self built machine running 7.

I love Macs but they aren't all that and a bag of chips.
              I switched to Macs when OS X first came out for the simple reason that it was based on Unix (derived from NextStep which is Mach/FreeBSD).

[YOUTUBE]dFUlAQZB9Ng[/YOUTUBE]
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                I switched to Macs when OS X first came out for the simple reason that it was based on Unix (derived from NextStep which is Mach/FreeBSD).

[YOUTUBE]dFUlAQZB9Ng[/YOUTUBE]
                I like OSX about the same as I liked W7. IMHO both a great operating systems. I'm thinking of grabbing a decked out Mac mini to run my project studio as I'm a little leery about migrating to W8 not because of the OS but because I'm worried some of my peripherals will not function properly. I need to upgrade soon as my current system only allows for 8gb of RAM and I need more.

Comment

You must be using Microsoft Office.
                  Finder, Mail, Calendar, iTunes, etc. Lots of bugs with each one. Now every single time I close VLC, it hangs. Ther are plenty of things I like about the OS, but stability definitely is not one of them.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

The bash shell on OS X is the best thing about the OS. Powershell just doesn't cut it for working in a heterogeneous environment, although it's decent enough if one is at a 100% Windows shop. Alas, I am forced to live in the world of Cygwin and putty

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                      The bash shell on OS X is the best thing about the OS. Powershell just doesn't cut it for working in a heterogeneous environment, although it's decent enough if one is at a 100% Windows shop. Alas, I am forced to live in the world of Cygwin and putty
                      cygwin isn't bad
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Finder, Mail, Calendar, iTunes, etc. Lots of bugs with each one. Now every single time I close VLC, it hangs. Ther are plenty of things I like about the OS, but stability definitely is not one of them.
                        If you do "About this Mac" which version of OS X are you running? Mac 10.8.something?

Check the system log when VLC hangs. Run the Console app in Applications::Utilities and select "all messages". Also, check User Diagnostic Reports for VLC crash reports.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

My Mac never crashes. It works just fine. The buggy things I find are with software like iBank (not apple produced) or Microsoft Office. Never had any problems with anything else. Out of habit I usually reboot the Mac every month or so just to refresh everything, but that is a habit I learned on a PC (although it was much more often back then).
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

If you do "About this Mac" which version of OS X are you running? Mac 10.8.something?

Check the system log when VLC hangs. Run the Console app in Applications::Utilities and select "all messages". Also, check User Diagnostic Reports for VLC crash reports.

I have a several diagnostic reports for VLC hanging but it is all in gibberish.

Comment

I have a several diagnostic reports for VLC hanging but it is all in gibberish.
                              What does the first 20 lines look like?

Anything interesting in the system log around the time VLC hangs?
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

What does the first 20 lines look like?

Anything interesting in the system log around the time VLC hangs?
                                Define interesting. Nothing that makes much sense to me.

2/17/13 2:14:10.000 PM kernel[0]: Sandbox: sandboxd(15036) deny mach-lookup com.apple.coresymbolicationd
                                2/17/13 2:15:09.636 PM VLC[14503]: kIOPMAssertionTypePreventUserIdleSystemSleep
                                2/17/13 2:15:09.706 PM VLC[14503]: kIOPMAssertionTypePreventUserIdleDisplaySleep
                                2/17/13 2:15:26.000 PM kernel[0]: Limiting closed port RST response from 316 to 250 packets per second
                                2/17/13 2:15:32.000 PM kernel[0]: Limiting closed port RST response from 332 to 250 packets per second
                                2/17/13 2:15:34.000 PM kernel[0]: Limiting closed port RST response from 322 to 250 packets per second
                                2/17/13 2:15:44.658 PM VLC[14503]: kIOPMAssertionTypePreventUserIdleDisplaySleep
                                2/17/13 2:15:47.310 PM VLC[14503]: kIOPMAssertionTypePreventUserIdleDisplaySleep
                                2/17/13 2:16:55.089 PM LKDCHelper[15054]: Starting (uid=502)
                                2/17/13 2:18:10.717 PM mdworker[15062]: Unable to talk to lsboxd
                                2/17/13 2:18:10.736 PM mdworker[15061]: Unable to talk to lsboxd
                                2/17/13 2:18:10.774 PM mdworker[15060]: Unable to talk to lsboxd
                                2/17/13 2:18:10.785 PM sandboxd[15064]: ([15062]) mdworker(15062) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd
                                2/17/13 2:18:10.790 PM sandboxd[15064]: ([15061]) mdworker(15061) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd
                                2/17/13 2:18:10.794 PM sandboxd[15064]: ([15060]) mdworker(15060) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd
                                2/17/13 2:18:11.000 PM kernel[0]: Sandbox: sandboxd(15064) deny mach-lookup com.apple.coresymbolicationd
                                2/17/13 2:18:41.293 PM coreservicesd[24]: SendFlattenedData, got error #268435459 (ipc/send) invalid destination port from ::mach_msg(), sending notification kLSNotifyApplicationDeath to notificationID=3046
                                2/17/13 2:18:41.335 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[139]: ([0x0-0x996996].org.videolan.vlc[14503]) Exited: Killed: 9
                                2/17/13 2:18:41.372 PM UserNotificationCenter[15075]: *** WARNING: Method userSpaceScaleFactor in class NSWindow is deprecated on 10.7 and later. It should not be used in new applications. Use convertRectToBacking: instead.
                                2/17/13 2:18:51.247 PM spindump[15070]: Saved hang report for VLC version 2.0.5 (2.0.5) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/VLC_2013-02-17-141851_XXX-MacBook-Pro.hang

Comment

Working...
                                X