destroying hard drives

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Danimal
    Junior Member
    • May 2009
    • 387

    #1

    destroying hard drives

    What's the best way to destroy a hard drive? I know there's software to save over and over them, but this one is not connected to a computer and I'd rather not have to buy a device to connect it to a computer. I took a hammer to our last one, but it was surprisingly tough. It took a lot of smacking to do much damage. Any ideas?
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #2
    Originally posted by Danimal View Post
    What's the best way to destroy a hard drive? I know there's software to save over and over them, but this one is not connected to a computer and I'd rather not have to buy a device to connect it to a computer. I took a hammer to our last one, but it was surprisingly tough. It took a lot of smacking to do much damage. Any ideas?
    Why not buy an enclosure and keep it as a back up hard drive?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69751

      #3
      Shoot it. If you don't own a gun, just randomly pick a neighbor and knock on their door. You live in Mississippi after all.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • Danimal
        Junior Member
        • May 2009
        • 387

        #4
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Shoot it. If you don't own a gun, just randomly pick a neighbor and knock on their door. You live in Mississippi after all.
        Hah! I guess you can actually speak from experience.

        Comment

        • il Padrino Ute
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 19161

          #5
          I'll throw it in the retort at the mortuary for you if you'd like.
          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

          Comment

          • Sizzle
            #ThisIsY
            • Nov 2008
            • 9004

            #6
            Submerge it in water overnight. Then smash the living hell out of it with a hammer.

            On a side note, how come things like this when you don't want them to break, they break, and when you want to get rid of them, you just can't destroy them.

            Comment

            • UtahDan
              *
              • Nov 2008
              • 14496

              #7
              I have heard from one who I assume knows that what he does is remove the drive and drill five or six holes in it. Not even the forensic guys can recover data from that, apparently.

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #8
                What the heck is on your hard drives, everyone???
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                  Time to camp
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26082

                  #9
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  What the heck is on your hard drives, everyone???
                  Porn, I have an addiction.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

                  Comment

                  Working...