Affordable quality tablets?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #1

    Affordable quality tablets?

    Looking for a quality tablet for my daughter to use in school. I'm expecting to pay around $400 or so, but are there any that would cost less than $200?

    I trust you folks more than the kid at Best Buy or other retailers) who has no idea what he's talking about.

    Edit: If there's already a thread about this, I apologize and any mod is welcome to move this there and shame me publicly. Except YO. He's too mean.
    Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 01-14-2013, 01:46 PM.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader
  • smokymountainrain
    Impressive Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22593

    #2
    Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    Looking for a quality tablet for my daughter to use in school. I'm expecting to pay around $400 or so, but are there any that would cost less than $200?

    I trust you folks more than the kid at Best Buy or other retailers) who has no idea what he's talking about.

    Edit: If there's already a thread about this, I apologize and any mod is welcome to move this there and shame me publicly. Except YO. He's too mean.
    Pretty sure the Kindle Fire is less than $200. Not sure how it compares in quality to the other tablets that come in under the Mendoza line.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

    Comment

    • falafel
      loves to talk on things
      • Mar 2009
      • 37983

      #3
      What kind of work will she be using it for?

      My son has a 32GB Google Nexus 7, which was $250. The 16GB version is $200.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

      Dig your own grave, and save!

      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • chrisrenrut
        Strikes and Gutters
        • Jul 2009
        • 2298

        #4
        At that price point, you are probably looking at a 7 inch instead of 10 inch (that's what she said).

        But seriously, from what I have seen, the Google Nexus or Apple iPad mini are probably your best bets. My sister has a Kindle Fire HD, and she is frustrated with how tied in with Amazon you are forced to be. If was forced to be tied in with something, I would rather it be Google or iTunes.

        Comment

        • il Padrino Ute
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 19161

          #5
          Originally posted by falafel View Post
          What kind of work will she be using it for?

          My son has a 32GB Google Nexus 7, which was $250. The 16GB version is $200.
          Mostly to take notes and perhaps a few apps. She also wants to use it as an ebook reader.
          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37983

            #6
            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
            Mostly to take notes and perhaps a few apps. She also wants to use it as an ebook reader.
            Hmmm. Take notes. She'll probably need a bluetooth keyboard then. Taking notes by hand would be very difficult.

            Assuming you get that, I think the google nexus 7 would be a great fit. The 7-inch size is much better for reading on than a 10-inch tablet, IMO.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Walter Sobchak
              Adventurer
              • Oct 2009
              • 3815

              #7
              Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
              Mostly to take notes and perhaps a few apps. She also wants to use it as an ebook reader.
              Google Chromebook ($315) + basic Kindle ($90) =~ $400
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

              Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

              Comment

              • il Padrino Ute
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 19161

                #8
                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Hmmm. Take notes. She'll probably need a bluetooth keyboard then. Taking notes by hand would be very difficult.

                Assuming you get that, I think the google nexus 7 would be a great fit. The 7-inch size is much better for reading on than a 10-inch tablet, IMO.
                Thanks for the info. I've heard from a few others that have suggested the Nexus 7.
                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69696

                  #9
                  I played around with an iPad mini the other day. Was not impressed with the display quality.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • kccougar
                    9262
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 7020

                    #10
                    Too bad DDD isn't around to scoff, but I would suggest the Asus TF-300 (formerly the Transformer Prime). The price is right and you can buy a very nice hardbacked keyboard/mouse pad that basically makes it into a little laptop. Both my boys have them and have not had any issues.

                    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                    Comment

                    • FMCoug
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 6825

                      #11
                      I love my Kindle Fire HD. The UI tied to Amazon thing is an accurate observation. But I actually like that. I like the Kindle UI for what it is intended to be. Plus the Amazon Video integration is great. The Amazon app store has pretty much everything you would want.

                      For note taking, I use Evernote and it works great on the Kindle.
                      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 37983

                        #12
                        Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                        Too bad DDD isn't around to scoff, but I would suggest the Asus TF-300 (formerly the Transformer Prime). The price is right and you can buy a very nice hardbacked keyboard/mouse pad that basically makes it into a little laptop. Both my boys have them and have not had any issues.

                        That is a nice option.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #13
                          I bought a Nexus 7 for Christmas...16 gb. I love it. For notes and meetings, I got this:

                          [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VL8Y2C/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i02"]Amazon.com: Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K760 for Mac/iPad/iPhone (920-003884): Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MG1COcqJL.@@AMEPARAM@@41MG1COcqJL[/ame]
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • marsupial
                            Mississippi Queen
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 3678

                            #14
                            Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                            I love my Kindle Fire HD. The UI tied to Amazon thing is an accurate observation. But I actually like that. I like the Kindle UI for what it is intended to be. Plus the Amazon Video integration is great. The Amazon app store has pretty much everything you would want.

                            For note taking, I use Evernote and it works great on the Kindle.
                            I like Amazon more than iTunes. Music is usually cheaper, too.
                            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                            -Teenage Dirtbag

                            Comment

                            • FMCoug
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 6825

                              #15
                              One thing though. I know being hip and following the crowd are important to you, so you might want to get an iPad.

                              Otherwise go with an Android device.
                              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                              Comment

                              Working...