Home schooling attitude.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • grapevine
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1992

    #1

    Home schooling attitude.

    Parents that homeschool there kids have a degree of weirdness about them. In fact many homeschool parents are weirder than there kids I think. Whose weirdness passes on to there kids.

    Any case one kid homeschooled most of his life approaching High School asked if he was going to public or homeschool. Liked homeschool better because you had to go to school. Were as in homeschool you could get done quicker and do whatever after school work is done. I heard many struggle with structure. Don't most adults have to be to work certian times every day? That is why school was tough on attendance policies.

    Another one asked lady whose in Ward Boundaries but live in neighboring district said was homeschooling. Had a bad experience in public schools and Idaho's education is not up to her standards. Interesting. My take is what makes somene smarter than certified educators? Homeschoolers have an interesting mentality to say the least.

    Besides though you go to work to create commerce goods and services you also go to serve your fellow man task is secondary. Why I think teachers and kids need each other in school to serve and be serve. Besides anyone heard the saying seek not what you can get out of organization but give as well.
  • Scott R Nelson
    UofU/BYU mixed marriage
    • Apr 2010
    • 1508

    #2
    Originally posted by grapevine View Post
    Parents that homeschool there kids have a degree of weirdness about them. In fact many homeschool parents are weirder than there kids I think. Whose weirdness passes on to there kids.
    Do you think they at least learn the difference between "there" and "their"?

    Comment

    • clackamascoug
      Banned
      • Dec 2009
      • 9709

      #3
      The missing link.. grapevine was home schooled!

      Comment

      • Mrs. Funk
        Lawyer Wannabe
        • Nov 2008
        • 2690

        #4
        I have no interest in homeschooling. I don't have the skills or inclination to be an effective teacher, and I went to law school partially out of a deeply set fear of junior high level math.

        Homeschooling done effectively is great, when the parents are disciplined and invested in doing a good job and follow a good homeschooling curriculum supplemented with opportunities to interact with other kids. On the other hand, I see a lot of homeschooled kids who seem to lack academic and social skills of similarly-aged peers who attend school. There's this bewildering new trend called "unschooling," an extreme form of homeschooling that I find positively ghastly. I don't think that schools are perfect by any means but they do a better job than I think I could.
        "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

        Comment

        • Sullyute
          a day late/a dollar short
          • Jul 2010
          • 3308

          #5
          Originally posted by grapevine View Post
          Parents that homeschool there kids have a degree of weirdness about them. In fact many homeschool parents are weirder than there kids I think. Whose weirdness passes on to there kids.
          This "weirdness" probably passes on whether or not those kids are homeschooled.
          Last edited by Sullyute; 01-07-2013, 10:41 AM. Reason: grammer
          "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

          Comment

          • Pheidippides
            Liberal Feminazi
            • Nov 2008
            • 14759

            #6
            Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
            I have no interest in homeschooling. I don't have the skills or inclination to be an effective teacher, and I went to law school partially out of a deeply set fear of junior high level math.

            Homeschooling done effectively is great, when the parents are disciplined and invested in doing a good job and follow a good homeschooling curriculum supplemented with opportunities to interact with other kids. On the other hand, I see a lot of homeschooled kids who seem to lack academic and social skills of similarly-aged peers who attend school. There's this bewildering new trend called "unschooling," an extreme form of homeschooling that I find positively ghastly. I don't think that schools are perfect by any means but they do a better job than I think I could.
            Please don't get me started. Is this a Cb discussion right now or something?
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment

            • Mrs. Funk
              Lawyer Wannabe
              • Nov 2008
              • 2690

              #7
              Originally posted by nikuman View Post
              Please don't get me started. Is this a Cb discussion right now or something?
              Wouldn't know. I only ever go to CB when something is linked here and rarely even then.
              "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

              Comment

              • Uncle Ted
                The Big 12 money shot.
                • Apr 2010
                • 28853

                #8
                Originally posted by grapevine View Post
                Another one asked lady whose in Ward Boundaries but live in neighboring district said was homeschooling. Had a bad experience in public schools and Idaho's education is not up to her standards. Interesting.
                Idaho's public education is not so bad. She should be counting her blessings that she isn't in California or, even worse, Utah that have performance rankings further toward the bottom side.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • Scott R Nelson
                  UofU/BYU mixed marriage
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 1508

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  Idaho's public education is not so bad. She should be counting her blessings that she isn't in California or, even worse, Utah that have performance rankings further toward the bottom side.
                  You list California as if all 37 million people have the same education available. There are many areas in the state with very high education ratings.

                  Comment

                  • Uncle Ted
                    The Big 12 money shot.
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 28853

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                    You list California as if all 37 million people have the same education available. There are many areas in the state with very high education ratings.
                    I would think the same would be true of New York and Texas but they are ranked 10th and 11th.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • grapevine
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 1992

                      #11
                      Haven't seen this on cb for awhile. Does show up though. Some like to take off when they can on trips. Most I know socially and even in some cases academically not on same level as kids there age. Teachers are at least trained in education. Another one that is why I go to school here. Not bigger schools.

                      Kids turn out the same regardless of school size I think. At least our school no longer plays bball in smallest gym in country and has yet to lose regular season fb or bb game this year. Is bigger than it was. Parents I think have a I'm smarting than someone that was trained mentality. I saw another thread on here about homeschooling. I have no patient for it and i think kids need peers. Diffrence in siblings of home vs public educated ones I see too.

                      In dnews comments about school shooting someone mentioned homeschool reason. There are some bad people in grocery store and such. Homeschooling isn't safer.
                      Last edited by grapevine; 01-09-2013, 07:51 AM.

                      Comment

                      Working...