For those thinking of going to law school

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LA Ute
    Receiver of Memory
    • Nov 2008
    • 19512

    #1

    For those thinking of going to law school

    If you know anyone who is thinking of going to law school, this piece lists what seem to be good suggestions for making that decision:

    Suppose you've thought about the general risks  of attending law school but are still struggling over whether to accept a particular offer. ...
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden


    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #2
    Question: should I go to law school?
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

    Comment

    • Pheidippides
      Liberal Feminazi
      • Nov 2008
      • 14759

      #3
      Originally posted by nikuman View Post
      Question: should I go to law school?
      Answer: No.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

      Comment

      • Pheidippides
        Liberal Feminazi
        • Nov 2008
        • 14759

        #4
        Originally posted by nikuman View Post
        Answer: No.
        Longer answer: hell, no!
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

        Comment

        • All-American
          Right, as Usual
          • Nov 2008
          • 15664

          #5
          .
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

          Comment

          • clackamascoug
            Banned
            • Dec 2009
            • 9709

            #6
            Good Info.

            My oldest son wants to go to law school in 2 years. He wants to be a Constitutional Scholar working in DC. I don't know what that means, or if he could make a living doing that.

            Comment

            • MarkGrace
              Grooveshark dick tease
              • Dec 2008
              • 31546

              #7
              Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
              My oldest son wants to go to law school in 2 years. He wants to be a Constitutional Scholar working in DC. I don't know what that means, or if he could make a living doing that.
              ha. Everyone who goes to law school wants to be something like that (not a constitutional scholar, specifically).
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

              Comment

              • UtahDan
                *
                • Nov 2008
                • 14496

                #8
                Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                ha. Everyone who goes to law school wants to be something like that (not a constitutional scholar, specifically).
                The vast majority of people whose practice involves the constitution are prosecutors or criminal defense lawyers.

                Comment

                • New Mexican Disaster
                  Suomalainen
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 4549

                  #9
                  Depends on where you want to practice.

                  Comment

                  • Commando
                    Explosivo
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 20748

                    #10
                    Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    Good Info.

                    My oldest son wants to go to law school in 2 years. He wants to be a Constitutional Scholar working in DC. I don't know what that means, or if he could make a living doing that.
                    Do you think your son knows?
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #11
                      I really enjoyed law school
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69689

                        #12
                        Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                        Longer answer: hell, no!
                        You guys are ruining all my fun.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • San Juan Sun
                          Kicked to the curb
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 9214

                          #13
                          Quick question: I have an acquaintance that did a "extra year" in tax law. Like a fellowship I guess. Does this provide him with any added desirability for employers/pay/security/etc?
                          "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                          - Ty Cobb

                          Comment

                          • Katy Lied
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 9435

                            #14
                            Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                            Quick question: I have an acquaintance that did a "extra year" in tax law. Like a fellowship I guess. Does this provide him with any added desirability for employers/pay/security/etc?
                            Did he get an LLM?

                            Comment

                            • Donuthole
                              Official Outgayer
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 25267

                              #15
                              Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                              Quick question: I have an acquaintance that did a "extra year" in tax law. Like a fellowship I guess. Does this provide him with any added desirability for employers/pay/security/etc?
                              Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                              Did he get an LLM?
                              Yes, an LLM, i'm guessing. We have some on here who have done that, I believe. I don't know that it gives him any significant amount of leverage if he's not working in securities or finance, but it looks pretty on a resume.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                              Comment

                              Working...