JCatch-22

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tim
    Not Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 4390

    #1

    JCatch-22

    In honor of my new life here in Japan, I'm adding the letter J to the front of everything from now on. All of the projects that I sponsor at work will have a J in front of them -- for example, today I wrote a business case for a project called "Japan Renewal Form Generator," which I'm codenaming "JForm." I'm going to a J-League soccer match next weekend. I love the letter J.

    Try getting a bank account when first arriving in Japan, though, and you'll find yourself in the middle of a JCatch-22. In order to get a bank account, you need to have your Alien Registration Card, a name stamp, and a name card (business card). I already ordered my name stamp (a simple "ティム") and my name cards will be ordered once I get my cell phone in a couple of days, but the Alien Registration Card is the difficult thing.

    The Alien Registration Card is the legal document that allows me to be in Japan throughout the length of the visa period (three years). I can register for it at the city office, but in theory I shouldn't do it until I've moved into my permanent apartment a month from now. The problem, though, is that without the Alien Registration Card, I can't get a bank account, and without a bank account, I can't get an apartment. Without an apartment, I can't get an Alien Registration Card.

    This, of course, is based on my assumption that whatever landlord I rent from won't let me pay with a foreign bank transfer. If that's the case, my JCatch-22 will remain a problem. If not, I have nothing to worry about.
    Visca Catalunya Lliure
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #2
    Think of the fun:

    JLOL!
    JSTFU!
    JFWIW
    JWWJD?

    J
    J
    J
    J
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

    Comment

    • Tim
      Not Banned
      • Nov 2008
      • 4390

      #3
      Exactly! That's I'm talking Jabout!
      Visca Catalunya Lliure

      Comment

      • Tim
        Not Banned
        • Nov 2008
        • 4390

        #4
        Actually, I decided to yank this and post it on my blog. Please don't think me unoriginal.
        Visca Catalunya Lliure

        Comment

        • Pheidippides
          Liberal Feminazi
          • Nov 2008
          • 14759

          #5
          Originally posted by Tim View Post
          In honor of my new life here in Japan, I'm adding the letter J to the front of everything from now on. All of the projects that I sponsor at work will have a J in front of them -- for example, today I wrote a business case for a project called "Japan Renewal Form Generator," which I'm codenaming "JForm." I'm going to a J-League soccer match next weekend. I love the letter J.

          Try getting a bank account when first arriving in Japan, though, and you'll find yourself in the middle of a JCatch-22. In order to get a bank account, you need to have your Alien Registration Card, a name stamp, and a name card (business card). I already ordered my name stamp (a simple "ティム") and my name cards will be ordered once I get my cell phone in a couple of days, but the Alien Registration Card is the difficult thing.

          The Alien Registration Card is the legal document that allows me to be in Japan throughout the length of the visa period (three years). I can register for it at the city office, but in theory I shouldn't do it until I've moved into my permanent apartment a month from now. The problem, though, is that without the Alien Registration Card, I can't get a bank account, and without a bank account, I can't get an apartment. Without an apartment, I can't get an Alien Registration Card.

          This, of course, is based on my assumption that whatever landlord I rent from won't let me pay with a foreign bank transfer. If that's the case, my JCatch-22 will remain a problem. If not, I have nothing to worry about.
          Easy solution: get your ARC now, then go back to the city offices after you get your apartment and have them change the address. Unless they've changed the system (and I fully allow that they may have), they just write it on the back.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

          Comment

          • byu71
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22070

            #6
            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
            Think of the fun:

            JLOL!
            JSTFU!
            JFWIW
            JWWJD?

            J
            J
            J
            J
            and JLIB

            Comment

            Working...