Thanks, Provo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

I hate when mental illness is dragged into gun discussions. The problem is not mental illness. I have no doubt that had the idiot survived and faced trial, he would have been deemed competent. If I thought he were really mentally ill, then I might be able to gin up a bit of compassion for him, but I don't think he was mentally ill, and I struggle to pretend to have empathy for him. Kudos to the FBI for taking out the garbage.
    Agreed, this is not mental illness, it's brain rot. These people stew in disinformation all day and the resultant rage becomes their identity. Sadly, it dovetails with a certain ultra right segment of Mormonism perfectly.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post

I saw this break on twitter from one of his ward members before it broke in the national media. The person tweeting was raging against the FBI saying he was 80, 300 pounds and could barely cross the street and couldn't hurt a fly. All the responses were about booting the FBI out of Utah. Having had a brother who was an agent for 2 decades, I don't know how to tell them how ultra conservative most agents (I'm talking 90%+) are.

There's a not insignificant segment of Mormonism that has put MAGA above their religion. Many have been leaving the church altogether around my very conservative county. The man killed in Provo was apparently a guy serving as a ward clerk and beloved in his ward and seen by many as a gentle giant. Then you see his facebook posts and it seems he was insane and violent, set on what in his mind was justified murder. Not sure how this will pan out for Mormonism over the next decade, but (as a now outside) observer, I think it should disturb the faithful and the church would do well to address it, though I'm not sure how exactly.
      MAGA brain rot infects all quarters. LDS included.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

MAGA brain rot infects all quarters. LDS included.
        I remember being warned from a young age about false prophets, but I never gave it much thought because it didn't seem very relatable. There are a lot of people who should have given the warnings more thought.
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Working...
        X