Which one? Tempur-pedic or the numbers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #1

    Which one? Tempur-pedic or the numbers

    mattress? I have actually had people tell me good things about both of them. People who actually sleep on them, not salespeople. I have severe spondylolysis.

    I guess the back doctor I am going to on July 16th for a second opinion could give me a suggestion. However, I have come to trust the combined wisdom of this board and am looking for opinions.
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #2
    Originally posted by byu71 View Post
    mattress? I have actually had people tell me good things about both of them. People who actually sleep on them, not salespeople. I have severe spondylolysis.

    I guess the back doctor I am going to on July 16th for a second opinion could give me a suggestion. However, I have come to trust the combined wisdom of this board and am looking for opinions.
    The sleep number bed is nice but it has a divider in the middle to separate the two sides which can be awkward if you sleep in the middle of a queen or larger size bed. It's also kind of a PITA to assemble.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

    Comment

    • pellegrino
      miserere me
      • Jan 2009
      • 12100

      #3
      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      The sleep number bed is nice but it has a divider in the middle to separate the two sides which can be awkward if you sleep in the middle of a queen or larger size bed. It's also kind of a PITA to assemble.
      come on surfah, everybody knows that sleeping is the last thing anybody is doing in the middle of a bed.
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

      Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

      pelagius

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #4
        Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
        come on surfah, everybody knows that sleeping is the last thing anybody is doing in the middle of a bed.
        byu71 asked the question. I was replying to him.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • byu71
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22070

          #5
          Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
          come on surfah, everybody knows that sleeping is the last thing anybody is doing in the middle of a bed.
          True, I haven't made it to the middle of the bed in years.

          Comment

          • RobinFinderson
            Banned
            • Nov 2008
            • 10548

            #6
            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            True, I haven't made it to the middle of the bed in years.
            Don't cry. When the time comes for you to slink off this mortal coil, you can take comfort in the fact that you were an obedient Mormon.

            Comment

            • byu71
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22070

              #7
              Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
              Don't cry. When the time comes for you to slink off this mortal coil, you can take comfort in the fact that you were an obedient Mormon.
              It is due more to opportunity than obedience.

              Comment

              • Clark Addison
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10303

                #8
                We got a latex mattress a couple of years ago. It is similar to Tempur-pedic, but a little springier, which is nice, and doesn't have the problem Tempur-pedics sometimes have with thermal control. Plus we don't have to worry about bedbugs. I like it quite a bit.

                Comment

                • RobinFinderson
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10548

                  #9
                  Faith and I have been using the same mattress for more than sixteen years. We bought it in Provo, where people really know something about how to build a durable mattress. About a year ago we bought a 1.5" memory foam top for the old mattress, and it had never been more comfortable. In sixteen more years, when my mattress is just a foam top resting on a platform of naked springs, I will return to Provo to buy a new mattress.

                  Comment

                  • pellegrino
                    miserere me
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 12100

                    #10
                    Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    True, I haven't made it to the middle of the bed in years.
                    you just coined a new expression "make it to the middle"
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

                    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                    pelagius

                    Comment

                    • byu71
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22070

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                      We got a latex mattress a couple of years ago. It is similar to Tempur-pedic, but a little springier, which is nice, and doesn't have the problem Tempur-pedics sometimes have with thermal control. Plus we don't have to worry about bedbugs. I like it quite a bit.
                      Bed-bugs?? You are being humorous right? I would hate to buy a mattress that has more of a chance with bed bug problems.

                      Comment

                      • RC Vikings
                        Known Heterosexual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8789

                        #12
                        Mattress shoppers are weighing the risk -- bad sex -- against the promise -- good sleep -- and are voting with their eyelids: They choose to snooze.


                        You may want to read this before you buy. Apparently if you do make it to the middle it can be difficult to get busy.

                        Comment

                        • SoCalCoug
                          Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 5214

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                          We got a latex mattress a couple of years ago. It is similar to Tempur-pedic, but a little springier, which is nice, and doesn't have the problem Tempur-pedics sometimes have with thermal control. Plus we don't have to worry about bedbugs. I like it quite a bit.
                          Latex? Wouldn't that be like sleeping on a giant condom?
                          If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

                          "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

                          "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

                          Comment

                          • Dwight Schr-ute
                            Members Only
                            • May 2011
                            • 4917

                            #14
                            My pregnant wife and I dropped $4,000 on the sleep number m4 (with memory foam) about 3 or 4 months ago. I'm like a 70 and my wife is like a 20. The "middle of the bed" is like the damn Himalayas. Must be anyway because the wife has yet to make the traverse. Maybe I should get her a sherpa.

                            Now one to your original question. Generally, we've been pleased with the purchase. Our old matress was wrecking both of our backs. The new sleep number has been a marked improvement. Although I'm not exactly getting what I would consider $4,000 worth of quality sleep, I haven't played around with my number as much as I probably should. I think the biggest selling point is the fact that both sides can have drastically different levels of firmness. If you don't have to share a bed with someone else, I would think that you could find something less expensive that would meet your needs.
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                            Comment

                            • Clark Addison
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 10303

                              #15
                              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                              Bed-bugs?? You are being humorous right? I would hate to buy a mattress that has more of a chance with bed bug problems.
                              We DON'T have to worry about them. Bedbugs can't live in a latex bed. At least, that's what my latex salesman told me.

                              Comment

                              Working...