Spiral Jetty - anything to see?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • oxcoug
    Dolphins Rape Hipsters
    • Dec 2009
    • 5309

    #1

    Spiral Jetty - anything to see?

    A girl I've been dating might be joining me on a visit to Utah in July and is interested in seeing Spiral Jetty - but I've come to understand that it's mostly submerged most of the time.

    Truthfully - I'd never even heard of the damn thing until it came up in this conversation. I can't imagine it being that interesting.

    Anyone been? Is it worth the visit? Is it mostly submerged? Is it a big waste of my time?


    N.B. - savvy cross-posters between CB and CUF will notice subtle differences between my parallel queries.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

    It can't all be wedding cake.
  • oxcoug
    Dolphins Rape Hipsters
    • Dec 2009
    • 5309

    #2
    And frankly, the fact that she's more interested in this than she is in Zion or Arches is the biggest strike so far against this girl.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

    It can't all be wedding cake.

    Comment

    • San Juan Sun
      Kicked to the curb
      • Dec 2009
      • 9214

      #3
      Never heard of it. I wonder why you aren't hitting more well know Utah attractions.You should take her to Bridal Veil Falls after dinner at the Brickoven. And go for a late Sunday night walk around the Provo temple. (Don't get any ideas from the dozen or so couples parked strategically apart from each other.)
      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

      - Ty Cobb

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37979

        #4
        I have always wanted to go see the spiral jetty. I think the real reason you're annoyed by this request is that is shows that this girl is more cultured that you.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • LiveCoug
          LA Ute loves me
          • Nov 2008
          • 18488

          #5
          What is the point of the spiral jetty? I've never understood.

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37979

            #6
            Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
            What is the point of the spiral jetty? I've never understood.
            ART.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • LiveCoug
              LA Ute loves me
              • Nov 2008
              • 18488

              #7
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              ART.
              When you are ready to respond with a serious answer, let me know.

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69695

                #8
                Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                And frankly, the fact that she's more interested in this than she is in Zion or Arches is the biggest strike so far against this girl.
                Bingo.

                I can't understand stopping on the way to Reno or Wendover to take a peek, but I can't imagine purposefully driving that far to see it.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • wuapinmon
                  Soul Plumber
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 30711

                  #9
                  Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                  When you are ready to respond with a serious answer, let me know.
                  Peasant!
                  "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                  The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                  Comment

                  • hostile
                    lollygagger
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 5736

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Bingo.

                    I can't understand stopping on the way to Reno or Wendover to take a peek, but I can't imagine purposefully driving that far to see it.
                    Exactly. I've driven by it several times but never stopped.

                    If you decide to make the trip don't miss out on The Tree of Utah
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                    Comment

                    • Shaka
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 10449

                      #11
                      Not worth it. Go to Moab.

                      Comment

                      • LiveCoug
                        LA Ute loves me
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 18488

                        #12
                        How have you guys driven by the spiral jetty several times? It's not on the way to wendover or reno... It's on the eastern shore of the GSL up by promontory point.

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69695

                          #13
                          Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                          How have you guys driven by the spiral jetty several times? It's not on the way to wendover or reno... It's on the eastern shore of the GSL up by promontory point.


                          Oops. I was thinking of the location of the big tree thing.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • old_gregg
                            scaly man fish
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 16915

                            #14
                            it's lame. go do something else.
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37979

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post


                              Oops. I was thinking of the location of the big tree thing.


                              Here's one reason to go see it versus Moab or Zion: It will only take you a few hours total, not 2 days. Maybe she's not interested in 10 hour car ride.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              Working...