Appalachian Speech

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #1

    Appalachian Speech

    [YOUTUBE]03iwAY4KlIU[/YOUTUBE]

    This video makes me plumb nostalgic for my early childhood in the mountains of Rabun County, Georgia. I knew some of the words, but I can absolutely nail this accent, because it was mine until I was nine.
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon
  • Tim
    Not Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 4390

    #2
    Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    [YOUTUBE]03iwAY4KlIU[/YOUTUBE]

    This video makes me plumb nostalgic for my early childhood in the mountains of Rabun County, Georgia. I knew some of the words, but I can absolutely nail this accent, because it was mine until I was nine.
    Ah, mountain folk! How pleasant!
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

    Comment

    • pellegrino
      miserere me
      • Jan 2009
      • 12100

      #3
      that was a cool video. the website they reference at the end seems pretty cool too. I got a mind to buy me one a them there dvds.
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

      Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

      pelagius

      Comment

      • dabrockster
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2009
        • 10947

        #4
        My wife's family lives in Washington County in Ohio on the border of Ohio and WV.. He has a nice accent to them but not that strong..

        When I served in Alabama (Nothern Bama), we ran into folks that talk just like this and even stroner.. One guy we talked to, I could barly understand him at all.


        Anyhow, that video reminded me of a movie called "Winter's Bone" (Stars the girl from Hunger's Game). It is not about the Appalachian Mountains, but the Ozarks but I would think the dynamics of the people are similar..

        [YOUTUBE]5O8F8JtSVmI[/YOUTUBE]

        Comment

        • clackamascoug
          Banned
          • Dec 2009
          • 9709

          #5
          Spent the best two years of my life (or so they say) in the Ozarks. I've had dinner with people that served possum and beans, and talked to where you could only understand every other word. To feel more at home, I started talking like the people around me, and learnt the ways of the mountain folk. When I got home, my family was shocked at my accent. Good times out yawnder.

          Comment

          • Indy Coug
            Heartless Bastard
            • Dec 2008
            • 18747

            #6
            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            This video makes me plumb nostalgic for my early childhood in the mountains of Rabun County, Georgia. I knew some of the words, but I can absolutely nail this accent, because it was mine until I was nine.
            Sounds like HS.
            Everything in life is an approximation.

            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

            Comment

            • wuapinmon
              Soul Plumber
              • Dec 2008
              • 30711

              #7
              Hey Tim, this is from one of my old student's facebook page. THIS is the coastal plains NC/SC idiom that I cannot ever get used to:

              Whenever I was younger, I used to always tell my mama that ...
              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

              Comment

              • Tim
                Not Banned
                • Nov 2008
                • 4390

                #8
                Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                Hey Tim, this is from one of my old student's facebook page. THIS is the coastal plains NC/SC idiom that I cannot ever get used to:
                Lol, I love that one. "Whenever I got here this morning, the lights were already on."
                Visca Catalunya Lliure

                Comment

                Working...