Latin translation help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UtahDan
    *
    • Nov 2008
    • 14496

    #1

    Latin translation help

    Can anyone translate these two phrases?

    vevor haud hostillis
    novus ordo seclorum
  • creekster
    It is NOT a monkey!
    • Nov 2008
    • 22661

    #2
    sounds like a job for the solon-ator
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

    Comment

    • UtahDan
      *
      • Nov 2008
      • 14496

      #3
      Originally posted by creekster View Post
      sounds like a job for the solon-ator
      Yeah I was hoping he might be on.

      Comment

      • Solon
        Lost in the flood
        • Nov 2008
        • 5747

        #4
        Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
        Can anyone translate these two phrases?

        vevor haud hostillis
        novus ordo seclorum
        I'm not sure about this first line - there's no word "vevor" in Latin. Maybe vivor? That's not much help either, as it's a passive form of "I live" (literally, "I am lived.") haud means "not at all", and hostilis (one L) is "hostile" or "enemy."

        So, maybe it's supposed to read "vivat haud hostilis", which would mean "let no enemy live/survive!" as a jussive subjunctive. Even then, the word really should be "hostis" instead of hostilis (hostilis is an adjective).

        My best guess is that it's supposed to be "versor haud hostilis", which means roughly " I am not at all hostile." (versor literally means "I am turned" but has connotations of being and existence)

        Otherwise, you'll have to re-check the Latin or give me a reference. I'll check my massive dictionary at school tomorrow all the same.

        My inclination is that it's crappy Latin or medieval or something, since there are more succinct ways to get the "I am not unfriendly" point across.

        The second one is easier. It's on the back of the dollar bill. In proper Latin, it would read, "novus ordo saeculorum" but this an allusion to a line by Virgil the poet, (magnus . . . saeclorum nascitur ordo in Eclogue 4, line 5) who often syncopated words in order to fit meter.

        Literally, it means "new order of the ages", or "a new order of generations" but there's a lot of nuance in there. It's often translated as "new world order" or something along those lines. It's supposed to refer to the dawning of a new era of hope and plenty without toils and labors heralded by the birth of a boy (nobody is sure to whom Virgil was referring, although many believe it was the expected son of Marc Antony & Octavia). Perhaps it was a tribute to Augustus, a close friend of Virgil's. It could just be allegorical as well. Certainly early Christians saw it as a prophecy of Jesus. (The Eclogues were published in about 38 BCE.)

        Also, here's a nice look-up tool: http://lysy2.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/words.exe

        Finally, when I did a google-search to look for a reference for vevor, I got a link to cougarboard. What are you doing slumming over there, UD?

        http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...tml?id=8488461
        "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

        Comment

        • UtahDan
          *
          • Nov 2008
          • 14496

          #5


          CUF was down for a little while tonight. That's why I went slumming.

          Comment

          • UtahDan
            *
            • Nov 2008
            • 14496

            #6
            Hope you don't mind I shared your answer in the fb group where this image came from.

            Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

            Comment

            • Solon
              Lost in the flood
              • Nov 2008
              • 5747

              #7
              Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
              Hope you don't mind I shared your answer in the fb group where this image came from.

              Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
              I don't mind you sharing it.

              Knowing these are Danites, I wonder if they meant "vero haud hostilis", which would mean, "in truth, not at all inimical." That seems like it would work.

              I'm glad it's just SuperGabers' leather jacket and not her biceps tattoo.

              How embarrassing.
              "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
              -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

              Comment

              • pellegrino
                miserere me
                • Jan 2009
                • 12100

                #8
                Originally posted by Solon View Post
                I don't mind you sharing it.

                Knowing these are Danites, I wonder if they meant "vero haud hostilis", which would mean, "in truth, not at all inimical." That seems like it would work.

                I'm glad it's just SuperGabers' leather jacket and not her biceps tattoo.

                How embarrassing.
                dunno, if they were attempting "let no enemy live/survive!" then that would work too.
                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                Alessandro Manzoni

                Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                pelagius

                Comment

                • UtahDan
                  *
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 14496

                  #9
                  When I stop and think about it I have a truly astonishing array of experts available to me in my life. It is a fact I do not take for granted.

                  Comment

                  • Solon
                    Lost in the flood
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5747

                    #10
                    Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                    dunno, if they were attempting "let no enemy live/survive!" then that would work too.
                    True. I was leaning away from that one because it has more mistakes, but it's not like any of the others is that much better. Maybe you're right.

                    Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                    When I stop and think about it I have a truly astonishing array of experts available to me in my life. It is a fact I do not take for granted.
                    Oh, we're available alright.
                    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                    Comment

                    Working...