No announcement yet.

Cutting the cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We haven't picked up another broadcast channel subscription since we dropped youtube tv a few months ago. None of my kids have even noticed.

We have Netflix, Amazon prime, Hulu (from my daughter), Disney + (free year subscription from somewhere - ?Verizon), and HBO Max (we were keeping it until daughters finished Westworld but we'll probably maintain it). I don't want to add up those prices and find out that I'm not saving any money from when I cut cable in the first place
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      We haven't picked up another broadcast channel subscription since we dropped youtube tv a few months ago. None of my kids have even noticed.

We have Netflix, Amazon prime, Hulu (from my daughter), Disney + (free year subscription from somewhere - ?Verizon), and HBO Max (we were keeping it until daughters finished Westworld but we'll probably maintain it). I don't want to add up those prices and find out that I'm not saving any money from when I cut cable in the first place
      Amazon Prime does not really count. If you buy stuff from Amazon it pays for itself.
      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
        Amazon Prime does not really count. If you buy stuff from Amazon it pays for itself.
        True. That makes me feel a little bit better about how much money I pay so my kids can watch just youtube online and not any other service.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
          That's been part of my rationalization process, too.

We've had Amazon Prime for several years. We'll do a month of Netflix if/when the next season of Stranger Things drops. After I cancelled Sling, I signed up for one month of the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu bundle. I'm planning to cancel the bundle before the month is out (but don't tell my kids). I don't think we're subscribed to any other pay TV right now.

If there aren't any testimonials for Sling's DVR, then I'll probably succumb to YouTube TV on Monday and keep it as long as BYU football and basketball are being played.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• For paid subscriptions, we have (in order of usage):

Disney + (teenage/preteen daughters and Star Wars fans)
            YTTV (mostly sports and Little House on the Prairie...seriously my daughters/MJ love it and there's like 1000 episodes)
            Netflix (rare usage except for random Friday night movies, most shows are too gory/crude for MJ although we use Vidangel with it a bit)
            AppleTV + (technically didn't pay directly for it since it came with my iPad purchase but it's used very infrequently but some shows/movies have been great)

Oddly, Youtube is what gets watched the most in our house and I'm not talking about YTTV, just the free YouTube. I bet I could drop everything I pay for and no one would be too upset if we just had the free YouTube app.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• the flexibility over a traditional cable package is indeed a huge win worth some premium. so nice to be able to stream from anywhere, and yttv seems to always stream perfectly. also, can you imagine paying per box? super dumb.
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                Oddly, Youtube is what gets watched the most in our house and I'm not talking about YTTV, just the free YouTube. I bet I could drop everything I pay for and no one would be too upset if we just had the free YouTube app.
                Try it. If you're family is anything like mine, they won't notice.
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• We currently have:

- Amazon Prime Video

That's it. And Prime doesn't really count because I would pay for Prime even without the video stuff.

I'll probably sign up for YTTV on Monday so I can watch BYU football.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                    We currently have:

- Amazon Prime Video

That's it. And Prime doesn't really count because I would pay for Prime even without the video stuff.

I'll probably sign up for YTTV on Monday so I can watch BYU football.
                    I didn't even know BYU was playing football this year until this afternoon. I used to be as hard core a BYU fan as there was, but I've got to admit that I'm at a point where I just don't care. Independence without a pandemic sucked. Independence with a pandemic is kind of useless.
                    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Hulu sent out an e-mail today that their Hulu Live service is going up from $54.99 to $64.99 in December. 20% increase.

Time to start looking again.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                        Hulu sent out an e-mail today that their Hulu Live service is going up from $54.99 to $64.99 in December. 20% increase.

Bah. I just signed up for it too.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                          Hulu sent out an e-mail today that their Hulu Live service is going up from $54.99 to $64.99 in December. 20% increase.

That's probably the end of Hulu for me then. I just don't use it enough.

Comment

• I'm having difficulty with Sling's DVR on ESPN content. I know they used to not allow DVR on ESPN and Disney networks, but that has since reportedly changed. However, when I watch recorded content on ESPN, it often will force me to watch commercials (lots of them) before starting or restarting a program. Sometimes it wont let me fast forward or rewind, either.

I saw a suggestion online saying that to turn off the auto run commercials, I had to change a setting on Roku, which I did. But it's still happening. Anyone know how to get Sling to work like a real DVR instead of forcing me to watch commercials?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I have been free riding from my parent's Comcast streaming account for the past decade. I really only use it to watch college football in the Fall. Now that my dad has passed and my mom is in assisted living, this will be my first season without cable access and a way to watch the games. I'm not incredibly excited for the season to be honest, but I figure I should look into options. Do any of you have experience with online sports streaming packages?

Comment

• Hulu or YouTube TV are really going to be your only two viable options. And you are looking at around $60 a month. There isn't anything for just sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X