Cutting the cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    This discussion began with Tick saying he was cutting the cord and getting YoutubeTV after the superbowl. Then chrisenrut said just get an OTA antenna now and cut the cord now. My question was, why do you need the antenna for the SB? YoutubeTV already has the top local networks, including whichever one has the superbowl. And it has a built-in DVR. I get that there are other OTA channels that a few people might like, but that doesn't fit into the original discussion of cutting the cord after the SB.

But whatever. Enjoy your Tablo DVR.
    I think chrisenrut was suggesting that with an OTA antenna, you get the Super Bowl without any need for YouTube TV.

You brought up DVR functionality, presumably as a reason that YouTube TV was needed.

BigFatMeanie responded that OTA DVR functionality can be added with Tablo.

Your question assumed a YouTube TV subscription for the Super Bowl, which was neither planned by The Tick nor suggested by chrisenrut or BFM. So which contribution to this thread are you claiming did not fit into the original discussion?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
      Why pay for Youtube TV when OTA is free (except for the Tablo DVR which is a heck of a lot cheaper than YouTube TV)?
      If football is the only sport you are interested in that would work. Otherwise forget it.

Cool thing about YouTube tv is that you can start and stop in seconds. No stupid contracts.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        I think chrisenrut was suggesting that with an OTA antenna, you get the Super Bowl without any need for YouTube TV.

You brought up DVR functionality, presumably as a reason that YouTube TV was needed.

BigFatMeanie responded that OTA DVR functionality can be added with Tablo.

Your question assumed a YouTube TV subscription for the Super Bowl, which was neither planned by The Tick nor suggested by chrisenrut or BFM. So which contribution to this thread are you claiming did not fit into the original discussion?
        Your face! [emoji35]
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• OTA HD here in Bakersfield is horrible. I'm on the opposite side of the valley for the HD antennae. It isn't great.

Only problem that I can see with YouTube TV...the 4 main channels I watch are not on there yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
            OTA HD here in Bakersfield is horrible. I'm on the opposite side of the valley for the HD antennae. It isn't great.

Only problem that I can see with YouTube TV...the 4 main channels I watch are not on there yet.
            Lifetime, Lifetime Movies, and what else?
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              Lifetime, Lifetime Movies, and what else?
              Oprah and TLC.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                Oprah and TLC.
                At least it includes Oxygen.
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Yeah. HGTV and Food network are the deal breaker for my wife... That is besides not wanting to waste 40 bucks a month on something we are fine without right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                    Yeah. HGTV and Food network are the deal breaker for my wife... That is besides not wanting to waste 40 bucks a month on something we are fine without right now.
                    Wait a minute. You don't want to get it because it doesn't have two channels you currently don't have?
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      BYUTV. I want to be able to record and watch BYU sports.

EDIT: One nice feature of the Plex DVR I am anxious to try is a feature that automatically removes commercials.
                      I have been looking at Plex DVR as well. There are a number of tuner options, however. I haven't had time to evaluate them all. Which tuner do you have or are planning to get?
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        I have been looking at Plex DVR as well. There are a number of tuner options, however. I haven't had time to evaluate them all. Which tuner do you have or are planning to get?
                        I ordered this antenna:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got a white one to be a little less obtrusive. There are a zillion options. The Plex guide says any antenna should work.

I ordered this tuner:

Supposed to be Mac compatible. I am running Plex on my Mac Mini at home. It is one of the Plex-compatible tuners listed here:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/225...-and-antennas/

Will arrive tomorrow but I won't be able to set it up for a week or two.

I have been reading reviews about Plex OTA DVR. Most reviews say that once you get it set up, it is the best OTA option with the most powerful interface, etc. However, because you need a server, Plex pass, etc, getting it set up can require more work than others. But since I already have Plex set up and running on my home network (love it), then it sounds like it will be a simple add-on. Setup instructions here:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/225877347-live-tv-dvr/

Comment

Wait a minute. You don't want to get it because it doesn't have two channels you currently don't have?
                          Correct. The price is right at $0 to not have those channels currently.

Is that really hard to follow logically?

Comment

I ordered this antenna:

I got a white one to be a little less obtrusive. There are a zillion options. The Plex guide says any antenna should work.

I ordered this tuner:

Supposed to be Mac compatible. I am running Plex on my Mac Mini at home. It is one of the Plex-compatible tuners listed here:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/225...-and-antennas/

Will arrive tomorrow but I won't be able to set it up for a week or two.

I have been reading reviews about Plex OTA DVR. Most reviews say that once you get it set up, it is the best OTA option with the most powerful interface, etc. However, because you need a server, Plex pass, etc, getting it set up can require more work than others. But since I already have Plex set up and running on my home network (love it), then it sounds like it will be a simple add-on. Setup instructions here:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/225877347-live-tv-dvr/

I am leaning toward one of the HDHomeRun boxes myself. Supposedly it is Linux Plex server compatible. I run my plex server on a FreeNAS box full of disks that runs the Linux Plex server in a container/jail (light weight VM).
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              I am leaning toward one of the HDHomeRun boxes myself. Supposedly it is Linux Plex server compatible. I run my plex server on a FreeNAS box full of disks that runs the Linux Plex server in a container/jail (light weight VM).
                              I got the dual tuner model, but I am wondering if I end up wishing I had the four-tuner model. Time will tell.

You don't need the Extend model. It has a built-in transcoder, but your Linux server should be able to do that for you.

Let me know if you get it working before I do.

Comment

I got the dual tuner model, but I am wondering if I end up wishing I had the four-tuner model. Time will tell.

You don't need the Extend model. It has a built-in transcoder, but your Linux server should be able to do that for you.

Let me know if you get it working before I do.
                                Yeah, my FreeNAS (with uses FreeBSD but emulates the Linux syscall ABI) has lots of cores but it still takes a bit to transcode videos when I download them to my iPhone/iPad for watching offline. A hardware transcoder (Extended model) would be nice but it is $$$$. Who knows if the h264 format is something that is compatible with Plex and my Plex clients. I am wondering if the HDHomeRun Connect Quaro could actually keep up with four devices watching streams at the same time. Of course, I don't think there are four channels that my family would want to watch at the same time on the OTA line up. We just don't know Spanish that well. I really only remember the Spanish swear words myself.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X