Anyone changed the clutch on a '99ish Honda Civic?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Shaka
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 10449

    #1

    Anyone changed the clutch on a '99ish Honda Civic?

    Tonight the bishop decided that I was the guy to help a single parent family with some of their car issues so I'm now their home teacher.

    This family is struggling financially and lack means to fix the car. I'm curious if it's replacing a clutch in a Honda is a DIY repair and the costs. Also I'm curious if anyone knows what it costs to have a mechanic do the work.

    TIA
  • Shaka
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 10449

    #2
    Update. She just told me the clutch pedal is resting on the floor. Maybe it's the clutch master cylinder that's the problem.

    Comment

    • old_gregg
      scaly man fish
      • Nov 2009
      • 16915

      #3
      i know i wouldn't try it without a lift. suspension removal, trans removal, lifting all of it back in place...
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #4
        Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        Update. She just told me the clutch pedal is resting on the floor. Maybe it's the clutch master cylinder that's the problem.
        Sounds like a master or slave issue to me. Is the master cylinder reservoir dry? You could top it off and pump the clutch pedal to see if you can find the leak. I had this issue and turned out to be the slave cylinder. It would squirt fluid every time the clutch was pushed.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • Shaka
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 10449

          #5
          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Sounds like a master or slave issue to me. Is the master cylinder reservoir dry? You could top it off and pump the clutch pedal to see if you can find the leak. I had this issue and turned out to be the slave cylinder. It would squirt fluid every time the clutch was pushed.
          Very good advice. Now I just have to figure out where the master and slave are.

          Comment

          • pellegrino
            miserere me
            • Jan 2009
            • 12100

            #6
            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            Very good advice. Now I just have to figure out where the master and slave are.
            hanes and chilton are your friends. you can get them at the library.
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

            pelagius

            Comment

            • old_gregg
              scaly man fish
              • Nov 2009
              • 16915

              #7
              i've got a pdf of the 99 civic chilton. let me know if you want it.
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

              Comment

              • Shaka
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 10449

                #8
                Originally posted by camleish View Post
                i've got a pdf of the 99 civic chilton. let me know if you want it.
                Thanks. It may come to this. Fortunately I found a link that showed how to replace the master cylinder. Looks pretty easy.

                Comment

                • Scott R Nelson
                  UofU/BYU mixed marriage
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 1508

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                  Thanks. It may come to this. Fortunately I found a link that showed how to replace the master cylinder. Looks pretty easy.
                  Make sure it's not the slave cylinder before replacing the master.

                  I don't have any experience with them in cars, even though I once worked as a mechanic. But I've worked on them on motorcycles with hydraulic clutches.

                  If you replace any of the parts, you have to carefully bleed the hydraulic system to get any air bubbles out. Sometimes all the system needs is to bleed it rather than replace master or slave cylinder. Be sure to check that first. It's fairly easy to do, but requires two people.

                  Comment

                  Working...