In the most recent issue of BYU Magazine, you can read all about the history of Cosmo the Cougar and how he came to be the official mascot of BYU. Did anyone else see or read the article?
It can be found here:
The article was interesting but the pictures were really great. Some of my faves:
Very first Cosmo. Terrifying!

Chillin' with Swicket (that lid is sweet, btw)

Other versions:



When I was in undergrad, our Cosmo was the bulbous headed cartoonish iteration but the article doesnt really have any good pics from that era. Does anyone remember when they did the big change to a more "realistic" cougar....there was a big article in the Daily Universe about how Cosmo had injured himself while rock climbing and his face was all bandaged up. Then they unwrapped his face at a football game and revealed the newer, more modern version seen here:

That version was short lived, as he changed up pretty quickly. I don't like the newer versions as much. I miss the cartoonish one from undergrad. I really wish they would dust off the original version, though.
It can be found here:
The article was interesting but the pictures were really great. Some of my faves:
Very first Cosmo. Terrifying!

Chillin' with Swicket (that lid is sweet, btw)

Other versions:



When I was in undergrad, our Cosmo was the bulbous headed cartoonish iteration but the article doesnt really have any good pics from that era. Does anyone remember when they did the big change to a more "realistic" cougar....there was a big article in the Daily Universe about how Cosmo had injured himself while rock climbing and his face was all bandaged up. Then they unwrapped his face at a football game and revealed the newer, more modern version seen here:

That version was short lived, as he changed up pretty quickly. I don't like the newer versions as much. I miss the cartoonish one from undergrad. I really wish they would dust off the original version, though.
Cosmo was imagined and named by the late H. Dwayne Stevenson (BA ’57), head of pep activities at the time. “The name Cosmo—he plucked that out of the sky,” says Stevenson’s then-roommate, B. Udell Winkler (’56). “He thought of it being kind of far out, kind of beyond our reach, something special.”

Comment