In-flight wi-fi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
    Hope you made it safe and sound and, assuming my hopes came to fruition, I'd like to be the first to welcome you to the Eastern Time Zone!
    Thank you; I've never felt so welcome! Red eyes suck, even with great seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Thank you; I've never felt so welcome! Red eyes suck, even with great seats.
      Red eyes are the worst. I can't sleep on planes for more than a few minutes at a time. International travel and red eyes destroy me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        Red eyes are the worst. I can't sleep on planes for more than a few minutes at a time. International travel and red eyes destroy me.
        A few years back, over a nine-month period, I spent about every other week in Germany. Company policy for domestic flights was - coach only. For international flights (not to Canada!), we could take a paid-travel day on either end of the flight (which no one did!) or fly business class - but you had to WORK the day you landed.

United had a couple all-business class flights from O'Hare to Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Berlin, etc. 64 seats that all folded flat, everyone paying $7K+ for their seat. The flights took off about 5:00 pm from O'Hare, and landed at 8:00 am in Germany. I was working out in Dusseldorf so that's usually where I flew.

They'd serve dinner immediately after takeoff, after which it was put on the noise canceling headphones, pop an Ambien, and sleep like a baby until they woke me up for breakfast. I'd get through customs quickly, and then take shower in the business class lounge, and then get a taxi to work - usually getting in around 9:30 or 10:00. That first day wasn't really too bad. The Ambien ensured that I'd slept. But jet lag was a killer on days two & three. By the end of work on Tuesday & Wednesday, things were CRAWLING. Thursday was usually okay - we'd start with early morning meetings, be on a 3pm flight back, and land at Ohare in the middle of rush hour on Thursday evening.

Without Ambien doing that trip every other week would have been hell...

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          They ended up cancelling our flight, and with no imminent alternatives we came back home. We're making a return trip to SFO in a few minutes where we'll board a redeye to Charlotte. We're told we'll be given first class seats unless someone pays full freight. I am not optimistic.
          Given our experience over the past 36 hours, I am happy to be free of SFO and will try to avoid it in the future. What a fiasco.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Man, I fall asleep quickly on flights. I usually fall asleep before takeoff. I don't stay asleep long on domestic, but I can get a full 8 plus on my international flights. I don't mind red eyes because I can get enough sleep to be functional and I get more family time.
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Had a red eye event today. Went to the funeral of a dear old family friend. He battled MS 50 out of his 70 years. The last few years were pretty tough, but a common thread today was that no one ever heard him complain - not even once. He was the nicest most up beat person you'd ever meet. If you can read this out in the aether Don, good luck and God's Speed.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Depart: LaGuardia
                Arrival: Denver
                Plane: A320
                Device: HP Laptop
                Provider: Gogo
                Snack: Diet Coke and Biscoff Cookies
                Entertainment: Work

With this flight I finally acheive lowly Silver Medallion status with Delta. Rebuilding status after switching airlines is annoying.

Comment

• Depart: Denver
                  Arrival: LaGuardia
                  Snack: Chicken Fajita wraps

First upgrade attempt: denied. I have a feeling Silver doesn't count for much.

Comment

On my flight home from Orange County yesterday there were 32 on the upgrade list for two first class seats.
                    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                    SU

Comment

Depart: Denver
                      Arrival: LaGuardia
                      Snack: Chicken Fajita wraps

Silver is worthless. If you're going from hub to hub, gold and platinum is not great. I've missed a few upgrades as diamond over the last two years. Especially at the end of the year, but normally you're good at the diamond level. Plus free Sky Room access with diamond. That's where you need to be.
                      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                        On my flight home from Orange County yesterday there were 32 on the upgrade list for two first class seats.
                        I've noticed out of LaGuardia on certain routes there are very few medallion members. On the way to Denver on Wednesday there was no one on the upgrade list and they were selling first class upgrades for $150. That was the flight that gave me Silver so I didn't get bumped up. 3 first class seats were empty. On this flight there were about 8 on the list in front of me when first class filled up. I'll mainly be going to Denver, Indianapolis, SLC, and Omaha. So I'm hoping those routes are not as well traveled by Medallions out of LaGuardia and JFK so I'll get an upgrade some of the time. A collegue from Atlanta who I see in Denver often tells me there are often 90+ people on the upgrade list.

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                        Silver is worthless. If you're going from hub to hub, gold and platinum is not great. I've missed a few upgrades as diamond over the last two years. Especially at the end of the year, but normally you're good at the diamond level. Plus free Sky Room access with diamond. That's where you need to be.
                        I would love to be Diamond. But it's almost impossible to get unless you fly every week or go international regularly.

Comment

I've noticed out of LaGuardia on certain routes there are very few medallion members. On the way to Denver on Wednesday there was no one on the upgrade list and they were selling first class upgrades for $150. That was the flight that gave me Silver so I didn't get bumped up. 3 first class seats were empty. On this flight there were about 8 on the list in front of me when first class filled up. I'll mainly be going to Denver, Indianapolis, SLC, and Omaha. So I'm hoping those routes are not as well traveled by Medallions out of LaGuardia and JFK so I'll get an upgrade some of the time. A collegue from Atlanta who I see in Denver often tells me there are often 90+ people on the upgrade list.

I would love to be Diamond. But it's almost impossible to get unless you fly every week or go international regularly.
                          Upgrades in JFK goes quickly. Stay with LaGuardia when at all possible, or even Newark.

Comment

• Depart: SLC
                            Arrival: JFK
                            Plane: 757
                            Snack: Chocolate/Biscoff Cookies

Got an unexpected upgrade on this redeye home. My luck is finally turning around after the game on Saturday.

Comment

• Depart: Indianapolis
                              Arrival: JFK
                              Plane: CRJ-900
                              Snack: As many dips into the magic snack basket as I am allowed

I'm 3/4 on upgrades since getting Silver. I'm starting to think if you stay away from the big hubs with Delta you are ok.

Comment

• Something different and surprising just happened. I landed at LAX about 20 minutes ago. Right as I stepped off the plane there was a Delta representative waiting with a sign with my name on it. I figured something must be going on with my Toyko flight, but thought it odd that they just didn't tell me at the gate. Turns out they were giving me the VIP treatment. They took me down the stairs, loaded me into a Porsche Cayenne on the tarmac and drove me to my departing gate. Very cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X