Tell me about Stockton, California

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Borg
    Tour de CS 2013?
    • Dec 2008
    • 1501

    #1

    Tell me about Stockton, California

    Anyone know anything about this little piece of heaven on earth? I don't know much about this area. Anyone live by or know much about it? Fill me in please, enquiring minds want to know!
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

    Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.
  • creekster
    It is NOT a monkey!
    • Nov 2008
    • 22661

    #2
    Why do you want to know?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

    Comment

    • BigPiney
      Huge Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12366

      #3
      Kind of a hole. Has a ok disc golf course.

      Comment

      • marsupial
        Mississippi Queen
        • Nov 2008
        • 3678

        #4
        UOP has a pretty campus.

        I'd live in Stockton.
        What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
        -Teenage Dirtbag

        Comment

        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
          Time to camp
          • Nov 2008
          • 26082

          #5
          It is close to the Manteca waterslides! Also has many murders.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

          Comment

          • bluegoose
            7th round draft pick
            • Nov 2008
            • 4121

            #6
            Just like most big cities, it has some nice areas and some really, really crappy ones. Its less than an hour to the Siera foothills and an hour to the SF Bay area. The Jelly Belly and Anheuser Busch Factories are also an hour away.

            Basically its an hour drive to do anything fun.

            Comment

            • New Mexican Disaster
              Suomalainen
              • Nov 2008
              • 4549

              #7
              the housing crisis hit Stockton particularly hard.

              Comment

              • creekster
                It is NOT a monkey!
                • Nov 2008
                • 22661

                #8
                It is one of Americas largest inland deep water ports.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                Comment

                • oxcoug
                  Dolphins Rape Hipsters
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 5309

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Borg View Post
                  Anyone know anything about this little piece of heaven on earth? I don't know much about this area. Anyone live by or know much about it? Fill me in please, enquiring minds want to know!

                  In 1949 my Mom's family moved from SF, where she was born, to Stockton. She was raised there and both my grandparents lived there til they died. My aunt still owns their old home which is in the shadow of UOP.

                  Key facts:

                  1. Used to be a hopeful slice of the Californian dream
                  2. Is now a hellish little slice of the Californian disintegration
                  3. Still has some beautiful neighborhoods
                  4. UOP is cool
                  5. Some beautiful neighborhoods + influence of UOP means it's possible to make a decent life there
                  6. Tons of crime
                  Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

                  It can't all be wedding cake.

                  Comment

                  • Borg
                    Tour de CS 2013?
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 1501

                    #10
                    Hmmm.... "tons of crime". Hmmmm.....but would I be a victim of a drive by shooting if I rode my bike all around?

                    Dang.... I was hoping for a "bit of heaven on earth" shpeal, but, that got blown to bits.

                    Potential job opportunity. Just thinking and wondering if I'd get a thumbs up for approval by the CUF community.

                    Seems pretty "iffy" to me.
                    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

                    Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

                    Comment

                    • Scott R Nelson
                      UofU/BYU mixed marriage
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 1508

                      #11
                      Earlier this year I was driving weekly between Pleasanton and Fulsom. Stockton is half way between the two. I always knew that I was getting close to Stockton because traffic would suddenly start to get crazy. It only seemed to happen within about ten miles either side of the city.

                      You don't have to live in Stockton to work there. There are lots of nice little towns to choose from in the area.

                      I'm not especially fond of any towns in California's Central Valley, although I now live on the edge of the Central Valley. The hills and coastal areas are more interesting places to live. Stockton is basically right in the middle of the Central Valley.

                      Comment

                      • Uncle Ted
                        The Big 12 money shot.
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 28853

                        #12
                        I wife grew up in Stockton. She doesn't like to talk about it much and doesn't want to live there now.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        Working...