Who Else Knoes a Secret Language?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • The_Tick
    Made something of myself
    • Nov 2008
    • 7295

    #31
    Fluent ASL.

    I wouldn't say that I get "pissed" when someone tells me that they can Sign, but it bothers me when someone tells me that they can Sign and all they know is the alphabet. That isn't Sign Language. That is finger spelling.

    And yes...it is always funny when you tell me that you know Sign Language and then toss me the bird. Hilarious.

    Comment

    • woot
      Resident Science Cop
      • Nov 2008
      • 5531

      #32
      Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
      Is anyone as special as me?

      All the show-offs with their Spanish and whatever else that was in the Religion forum reminded me of something. I know a (written) language that can, in my estimation, be read by only a few thousand people on the earth. As many returned missionaries from Asian missions know, you don’t start out learning the characters, but instead use a Romanization system, which represents each character with a alphabetized word. So the character 我, for example, which means “I”, is transcribed as “Wo” in Mandarin or “Ngoh” in Cantonese (ignoring the accent marks that the systems use). Native speakers never use this system, of course, and even native speakers who speak English can almost never look at a Romanized string of text and decipher it (we used to try sometimes).

      So I went to Hong Kong, and learned Cantonese. Native speaking Chinese people cannot read the Romanization. Of foreigners who learn to speak Chinese, the vast majority learn Mandarin, so Cantonese Romanization (for a couple of linguistic reasons) is completely unintelligible to them. Also, unlike Mandarin, which has a standardized Romanization system, Cantonese has 3 or 4 systems in fairly wide use, so there are even a lot of foreigners who have learned Cantonese who cannot read my Romanization system. So outside of Mormon missionaries, I really can’t see there being more than a few thousand people who could read what I write in Romanization. For example, the sentence:

      Bingo fongpei?

      is immediately familiar to any Hong Kong RM, but a mystery to the rest of the world (it has nothing to do with Mormonism).

      No real point to this. I just wanted to put you Spanish speakers in your place. I have had a persistent dream since my mission that the US gets in a war with Russia or Islamists or Martians, doesn’t matter the enemy, who is able to decipher all of the US codes until, reminiscent of the Navajo Windtalkers, the military recruits Hong Kong RMs to save the day by sending written communications in Cantonese Romanization.
      So what does "Bingo fongpei?" mean? I'll go with "who farted?"

      Comment

      • Clark Addison
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10310

        #33
        Originally posted by woot View Post
        So what does "Bingo fongpei?" mean? I'll go with "who farted?"
        After one year, you win the prize! Actually, TheBYUGuy did, but he cheated by knowing the language. Did you find some translator somewhere, or do you just know missionaries well?

        Comment

        • woot
          Resident Science Cop
          • Nov 2008
          • 5531

          #34
          Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
          After one year, you win the prize! Actually, TheBYUGuy did, but he cheated by knowing the language. Did you find some translator somewhere, or do you just know missionaries well?
          I hung out with the Cantonese guys in my mission when I was an AP and vaguely recall that being a popular phrase. I'm surprised I remember it after 10 years. I thought the only thing I remembered was chopsticks. I can still say the name of the church and a couple other things in Mandarin, too.

          Comment

          • TheBYUGuy
            Friend of Rodin
            • Sep 2009
            • 1442

            #35
            Originally posted by woot View Post
            I hung out with the Cantonese guys in my mission when I was an AP and vaguely recall that being a popular phrase. I'm surprised I remember it after 10 years. I thought the only thing I remembered was chopsticks. I can still say the name of the church and a couple other things in Mandarin, too.
            woot, in which mission were you an AP?

            Comment

            • woot
              Resident Science Cop
              • Nov 2008
              • 5531

              #36
              Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
              woot, in which mission were you an AP?
              'twas one of them canuck missions up der in hoser land. Many toques were worn; many buses were missed; much poutine was eaten.

              Comment

              • kccougar
                9262
                • Nov 2008
                • 7020

                #37
                Originally posted by Solon View Post
                Is it true that Quechua speakers can talk while both inhaling and exhaling?
                There's a kid in my ward that does that. Pretty funny actually. When he reads a scripture in church or gives a talk he doesn't pause when he takes a breath - just keeps plowing through.
                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                Comment

                • YOhio
                  Hipster Mode
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26165

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                  After one year, you win the prize! Actually, TheBYUGuy did, but he cheated by knowing the language. Did you find some translator somewhere, or do you just know missionaries well?
                  I knew the answer, too. I just didn't say so.

                  Comment

                  • il Padrino Ute
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 19161

                    #39
                    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    I learned Quechua on my mission and worked in a Quechua area for about 5 months exclusively.

                    Try finding someone in the US that speaks Quechua. Actually, try finding someone in Bolivia that speaks Quechua.
                    I bet I could find someone who speaks Quechua that lives on the same street as me.
                    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 37987

                      #40
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      I learned Quechua on my mission and worked in a Quechua area for about 5 months exclusively.

                      Try finding someone in the US that speaks Quechua. Actually, try finding someone in Bolivia that speaks Quechua.
                      I think most of us could find someone who speaks Quechua. My friend learned it in Argentina.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • woot
                        Resident Science Cop
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5531

                        #41
                        I personally know a half dozen people who speak Quechua, but only one of them natively. Such is life in an anthropology department.

                        Comment

                        • Solon
                          Lost in the flood
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 5747

                          #42
                          Originally posted by woot View Post
                          I personally know a half dozen people who speak Quechua, but only one of them natively. Such is life in an anthropology department.
                          Is it true that a Quechua speaker can speak while inhaling? I heard this while I was in Bolivia and tried to eavesdrop on the Quechua women in the marketplace, but they always quit talking when I got too close.
                          "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                          -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                          Comment

                          • woot
                            Resident Science Cop
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 5531

                            #43
                            Originally posted by Solon View Post
                            Is it true that a Quechua speaker can speak while inhaling? I heard this while I was in Bolivia and tried to eavesdrop on the Quechua women in the marketplace, but they always quit talking when I got too close.
                            Others here could answer that better than me. I've heard words and phrases but never an actual conversation. I don't hang out with the linguists much.

                            Comment

                            Working...