Kindle meet Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    My wife wanted on of these but it is being hammered in reviews. The only positive I have seen is the price.
    Which means it will fly off the shelves.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I thought you were finally going to throw your kindle into the fire and go buy an iPad.
      I just got an iPad today! It was a gift from Aristides and he even had it engraved. I really like it. Glad our HP order got canceled! And that Aristides finally let go of his silliness about buying Apple stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
        I just got an iPad today! It was a gift from Aristides and he even had it engraved. I really like it. Glad our HP order got canceled! And that Aristides finally let go of his silliness about buying Apple stuff.
        Of course you like it. It is a great device. I'm pretty sure you won't give it away as a raffle prize!
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Did he also get one for himself?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Did he also get one for himself?
            No. It is not geeky enough for him.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Of course you like it. It is a great device. I'm pretty sure you won't give it away as a raffle prize!
              Even if I wanted to, which I don't, he had it engraved so it isn't an option.

Comment

No. It is not geeky enough for him.
                I'll bet he'll geek out over the new asus eee pad transformer prime.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  I'll bet he'll geek out over the new asus eee pad transformer prime.
                  Does it have 3G network capabilities? Is it less user friendly than an iPad? If it less expensive? If so, I'm sure he would say geektastic!

Comment

So I have been playing with this thing for a while now, mostly using as a kindle + some games, TapaTalk, web browsking, etc. I like it but the Amazon UI leaves a lot to be desired. And it is not really full blown android.

So today I rooted it and installed an work in progress Ice Cream Sandwich ROM (CM9). Kick Ass!

Basically I have $199 Android 4.0 tablet with a dual core processor.

"It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                      So I have been playing with this thing for a while now, mostly using as a kindle + some games, TapaTalk, web browsking, etc. I like it but the Amazon UI leaves a lot to be desired. And it is not really full blown android.

So today I rooted it and installed an work in progress Ice Cream Sandwich ROM (CM9). Kick Ass!

Basically I have $199 Android 4.0 tablet with a dual core processor.

Did you re-root after the 6.3 upgrade? What did you use to root it? For some reason I cannot get the ADB to function correctly with the Kindle. As soon as I go to install the drivers my Kindle gets disconnected and no longer appears in My Computer and ADB can't detect it.

I had similar issues trying to root my Evo with ADB and eventually gave up and found another way to root it.

I ended up side-loading apps I wanted using my Evo, Astro and DropBox. But that is clumsy. I want root to install the Google marketplace and place with some ROMs. It's not a big deal as this is Gidget's Fire and I have been able to add most of the apps that she wants.

I really like the Fire. I like the size quite a bit. For me it is much easier to type on quickly than an iPad. And I think this is because of the smaller screen and being able to use my thumbs to enter text. I get annoyed at having to hold the iPad with one hand and pecking everything out with the other or setting it on my lap to type something lengthy.

A couple of my biggest gripes with the KF is that there are no widgets. They should have a calendar built in that syncs with iCal, Google, and Outlook. Also things like no basic calculator are minor annoyances. I also don't care for the stock browser, but I side-loaded Dolphin Browser which works great.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

I used this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1399889
                        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                          I'll try that. My main issue right now is getting my damn computer to recognize the KF. And when it finally does ADB can't see it. After reading the end of that thread one guy was having a similar issue and ended up installing a VM with XP because his 64-bit 7 was having the same issue I am. That's a pain in the ass to get root access.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            I'll try that. My main issue right now is getting my damn computer to recognize the KF. And when it finally does ADB can't see it. After reading the end of that thread one guy was having a similar issue and ended up installing a VM with XP because his 64-bit 7 was having the same issue I am. That's a pain in the ass to get root access.
                            I used it on Win7 x64 with no problems.

Comment

Think this sucker might be perma-bricked.

LED blinks when it's plugged in but hard reset doesn't work. When unplugged (even after charging overnight) I get nothing. On with Amazon support right now ... but if I send it in and they can bring it back to life, maybe it will still be rooted which voids the warranty. Guess we'll see.

Comment

"Melinda" does not appear to be a native English speaker.

Comment

Working...
                                X