The Joys of a New TV

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Shaka
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 10450

    #1

    The Joys of a New TV

    I've been shopping for a new LCD TV. Yesterday in anticipation of my purchase I created a matrix with all the local sellers, TV models, and prices. I had two requirements:

    1. 46"

    2. Must be best bang for the buck.

    I also wanted to see if I could get one with a 120hz refresh rate. I was willing to overlook this if the price was right.

    As I was doing my research I tried to think of one last place that sold TVs. Fortunately right when I was about to give up I thought of Sears. It's a good thing I did. They had a 46" Sony with 120hz refresh for $1399. The other stores that carried this tv were at least $300 more. The cheapest Vizio with similar features was $100 less.

    I figured this was the deal I was looking for so I cruised over to the Sears at Fashion Place. I was bummed to find out they didn't have any in stock and weren't accepting orders because it was backordered. I couldn't even order one online.

    I gave the salesperson my number so he could call me if the TV came in. As I was walking out of the store I decided to call Best Buy to see if they would match the price. I was in there the day before and knew they had the tv. I talked to one of their sales guys and he sought approval from two managers before they told me they would do the deal. I drove over and fifteen minutes later was out the door with my new TV.

    The only downside was I decided to set it up last night and ended up watching it until 1:30a.m. I try to get to work around 6:30 so my butt is dragging today in a serious way.
  • Donuthole
    Official Outgayer
    • Nov 2008
    • 25273

    #2
    I purchased a 50" Vizio VF505XVT plasma Saturday before last. It has been bringing me great joy ever since. Watching BYU defeat Utah in HD was a thing of beauty.

    FWIW, I don't think you get the best bang for the buck with any Sony, even at that price. But that's a great price for a Sony.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

    Comment

    • cougjunkie
      *Banned*
      • Nov 2008
      • 23223

      #3
      Circuit City has 40% off all of their plasmas right now since they are going out of business, when I was there Saturday they had about 10 left.
      *Banned*

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #4
        Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        Circuit City has 40% off all of their plasmas right now since they are going out of business, when I was there Saturday they had about 10 left.
        Plasmas in general will be gone shortly. All TVs will be LCDs soon.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • Donuthole
          Official Outgayer
          • Nov 2008
          • 25273

          #5
          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Plasmas in general will be gone shortly. All TVs will be LCDs soon.
          The same can be said for non-LEd backlit LCDs. The difference is that plasma technology is at its height right now, and is much better than non-LED backlit LCD tecnnology.

          As for Circuit City, the downside to buying anything there right now is that all sales are final. I need a little more wiggle room than that for peace of mind.
          Last edited by Donuthole; 03-03-2009, 12:25 PM.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

          There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

          Comment

          • Soccermom
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 4063

            #6
            Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            I purchased a 50" Vizio VF505XVT plasma Saturday before last. It has been bringing me great joy ever since. Watching BYU defeat Utah in HD was a thing of beauty.

            FWIW, I don't think you get the best bang for the buck with any Sony, even at that price. But that's a great price for a Sony.
            I can no longer be angry with Aristides for his accidental purchase. He only bought a 42" and it is bringing him as much joy as your larger plasma. And, I think his smaller t.v. is huge. He still needs to get us set up with the HD receiver deal though. Does it really make a huge difference? I haven't really watched anything in HD.

            Comment

            • Donuthole
              Official Outgayer
              • Nov 2008
              • 25273

              #7
              Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
              I can no longer be angry with Aristides for his accidental purchase. He only bought a 42" and it is bringing him as much joy as your larger plasma. And, I think his smaller t.v. is huge. He still needs to get us set up with the HD receiver deal though. Does it really make a huge difference? I haven't really watched anything in HD.
              Not to be sexist, here, but to many women it doesn't make a difference. I don't think that has anything to do with women being incapable of visually perceiving the difference, but rather stems from the joy men derive from sports and television in general. It is more important to us, therefore the HD makes more of a difference.

              There is a notable difference in the picture quality and sound quality, but whether or not it is enough to impress you remains to be seen.

              FYI, if you boardmail me your address, I'll do a quick search and see if you are in range of Over The Air HD (OTAHD) which you may or may not be able to pick up with an indoor antenna no larger than a volleyball.

              Oh, and I've waited nearly 3 years for my turn to buy a TV. In the meantime, Mrs. Donut has received a backyard, tile in the master bath, and new sofas. I was due.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

              Comment

              • il Padrino Ute
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 19161

                #8
                Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                I can no longer be angry with Aristides for his accidental purchase. He only bought a 42" and it is bringing him as much joy as your larger plasma. And, I think his smaller t.v. is huge. He still needs to get us set up with the HD receiver deal though. Does it really make a huge difference? I haven't really watched anything in HD.
                The HD receiver is necessary with an HDTV, IMO. The difference in clarity is amazing, but you'll never know the difference until you actually see it.

                You should have local stations that are broadcasting HD over the air, most likely the network affiliates. Take a look at those channels and compare them to the non-HD channels.
                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                Comment

                • Donuthole
                  Official Outgayer
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 25273

                  #9
                  Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                  The HD receiver is necessary with an HDTV, IMO. The difference in clarity is amazing, but you'll never know the difference until you actually see it.

                  You should have local stations that are broadcasting HD over the air, most likely the network affiliates. Take a look at those channels and compare them to the non-HD channels.
                  In fact, non-hd programming on most HDTVs is worse than it would be on a regular CRT (i.e. old bulky tube) TV.

                  Fortunately for me, the TV I purchased has an HQV silicon chip, which upconverts standard definition programming. It's still not HD, but it's a lot better than standard definition on most HDTVs.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                  There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                  Comment

                  • cougjunkie
                    *Banned*
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 23223

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    In fact, non-hd programming on most HDTVs is worse than it would be on a regular CRT (i.e. old bulky tube) TV.

                    Fortunately for me, the TV I purchased has an HQV silicon chip, which upconverts standard definition programming. It's still not HD, but it's a lot better than standard definition on most HDTVs.
                    This is true, we have an old tube upstairs in our bedroom our other two TVs are HD. Non-HD channels look a lot better on the tube.
                    *Banned*

                    Comment

                    • Shaka
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 10450

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      I purchased a 50" Vizio VF505XVT plasma Saturday before last. It has been bringing me great joy ever since. Watching BYU defeat Utah in HD was a thing of beauty.

                      FWIW, I don't think you get the best bang for the buck with any Sony, even at that price. But that's a great price for a Sony.
                      If I hadn't found the deal on the Sony I would have bought the similar Vizio for $100 less. I'm actually a fan of Vizio because I like that they have brought quality to the market for a non-premium price. Without Vizio we'd probably still be paying $3k for a decent LCD or plasma.

                      You don't like Sony? I've had a Wega tube TV and it was fabulous. Most of the professional stuff I used when I was working at the multimedia house was also Sony including displays and video decks. I always thought they were overpriced but the quality was never in question.

                      Comment

                      • Donuthole
                        Official Outgayer
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 25273

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        If I hadn't found the deal on the Sony I would have bought the similar Vizio for $100 less. I'm actually a fan of Vizio because I like that they have brought quality to the market for a non-premium price. Without Vizio we'd probably still be paying $3k for a decent LCD or plasma.

                        You don't like Sony? I've had a Wega tube TV and it was fabulous. Most of the professional stuff I used when I was working at the multimedia house was also Sony including displays and video decks. I always thought they were overpriced but the quality was never in question.
                        Sony is great. They make a great product. I just think you pay for the name. Sort of like Toyota or Honda, only you don't get the resale benefit on a TV like you do with a car. Like I said, what you paid was a great price for the TV you got. The same TV was $1599 at Costco last week.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                        Comment

                        • Shaka
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 10450

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Sony is great. They make a great product. I just think you pay for the name. Sort of like Toyota or Honda, only you don't get the resale benefit on a TV like you do with a car. Like I said, what you paid was a great price for the TV you got. The same TV was $1599 at Costco last week.
                          Ahhh I misunderstood them. Seeing that it was $1599 at Costco makes me even happier with my deal.

                          Comment

                          Working...