computers suck.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Brian
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 2164

    #1

    computers suck.

    My life, which exists on a 17" MacBook Pro, just lost a systems board.
    A new board will be in tomorrow, but until then, all my email, a large number of edits to a proposal I'm working on (and hadn't quite checked-in to the svn repo) all reside on a brick sitting next to me right now. I can receive new email through the web client, but all my old email is not accessible.

    Time for a walk, and maybe a quick game of Connect 4 with friends.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright
  • pellegrino
    miserere me
    • Jan 2009
    • 12100

    #2
    you know, this same thing happened to me last night. computers do suck.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

    Comment

    • woot
      Resident Science Cop
      • Nov 2008
      • 5531

      #3
      Not sure if you're looking for advice, but I strongly recommend dropbox. It doesn't help with emails (as far as I can tell), but it stores a copy of every single save point of each file you're working on, both on the web and on any other computers set up to sync with it. It hasn't been called on to save my bacon yet, but it has been awesome to not have to worry about which computer I last saved a file on.

      Comment

      • Uncle Ted
        The Big 12 money shot.
        • Apr 2010
        • 28853

        #4
        Originally posted by Brian View Post
        My life, which exists on a 17" MacBook Pro, just lost a systems board.
        A new board will be in tomorrow, but until then, all my email, a large number of edits to a proposal I'm working on (and hadn't quite checked-in to the svn repo) all reside on a brick sitting next to me right now. I can receive new email through the web client, but all my old email is not accessible.

        Time for a walk, and maybe a quick game of Connect 4 with friends.
        Time Machine and mobleme sync are my friends. I can be back up reading all my email a few minutes (thanks to sync and imap) and accessing my files in less than a few hours (on a backup mac restoring from the time machine backup).

        BTW, if you are not already using git-svn as a front-end to svn you really should. It rocks.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Brian
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 2164

          #5
          Yes, I found someone w/ a spare macbook and time machine restored everything. Almost.
          Time machine didn't have the last few hours of editing....

          And it's a 15". Boy, I really miss the extra real estate.
          I intend to live forever.
          So far, so good.
          --Steven Wright

          Comment

          • pellegrino
            miserere me
            • Jan 2009
            • 12100

            #6
            So I'm effed. The computer won't reboot, not even in safe mode, and the hard drive is encrypted, which complicates data recovery. I hadn't backed up for about a month and there are several articles I've been working on that I really don't want to lose, especially because I have some deadlines early next month. Anyone know anything about data recovery for an encrypted drive? What does that usually run and how long does it take? Or is it something I could reasonably do by myself?
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

            pelagius

            Comment

            • Uncle Ted
              The Big 12 money shot.
              • Apr 2010
              • 28853

              #7
              Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
              So I'm effed. The computer won't reboot, not even in safe mode, and the hard drive is encrypted, which complicates data recovery. I hadn't backed up for about a month and there are several articles I've been working on that I really don't want to lose, especially because I have some deadlines early next month. Anyone know anything about data recovery for an encrypted drive? What does that usually run and how long does it take? Or is it something I could reasonably do by myself?
              What are you running for an operating system and using for the disk encryption? If is it a mac I can maybe talk you through it.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Uncle Ted
                The Big 12 money shot.
                • Apr 2010
                • 28853

                #8



                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • pellegrino
                  miserere me
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 12100

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  What are you running for an operating system and using for the disk encryption? If is it a mac I can maybe talk you through it.
                  I missed this, but I appreciate the response. What ended up happening was the techie got it to boot in safe mode on a random chance. I went in, started to get things off of it, and it crashed again. So then I decided that I'd just try to get it to reboot on my own, get the files off and give it back to let them re-image it. After trying to reboot it all afternoon I finally got it to boot and was able to get everything from it. I pick up my "new" computer tomorrow.
                  Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                  God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                  Alessandro Manzoni

                  Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                  pelagius

                  Comment

                  Working...