Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Tacoma = Jimmer. My mini-van = Gonzaga

Because it just got wrecked today.

The rear door only stays shut if I lean on it as it locks closed (it's an auto-door). The right sliding door doesn't really fit in its frame quite right--the gap between door and right rear quarter is now miniscule:

Does this mean that the damage is worse than it looks, as in the frame is bent? (Not like it looks great with the rear door caved in.)

Here is the left sliding door gap-- it is much wider.

On a humorous note, the first thing my 4-year-old says after we get hit (with a VERY worried look on her face): "Do we have to go to jail now?"
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Not good. Glad you guys are okay and it wasn't worse.

Comment

minivans dont have frames, unfortunately. They are unibodies, as are almost all cars now. There is a reasonable chance it is torqued and that si not good. But it could just be the doors that are mis-aligned. Either way, its only stuff and you are ok, so thats the most important thing.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Sorry. Not nearly enough damage to your van to be a good analogy. Glad that's the case, though.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
          minivans dont have frames, unfortunately. They are unibodies, as are almost all cars now. There is a reasonable chance it is torqued and that si not good. But it could just be the doors that are mis-aligned. Either way, its only stuff and you are ok, so thats the most important thing.
          "Frame" was not the correct word I suppose because you are correct, there is no actual chassis. I don't know what the word would be--monocoque? Anyway, I agree with you and YO that the car itself is much less important than my fam. We had the whole family in the car at the time (including my daughters ages 4, 3, and 1/2). Luckily, despite my oldest's fears, we did not have to go to jail.

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Sorry. Not nearly enough damage to your van to be a good analogy. Glad that's the case, though.
          Based on the amount of apparent damage, I should have compared it to a closer win such as our last game against CSU, but I thought this analogy was more timely.
          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug

Comment

So my van is still in the shop but repairs are being completed. They just need to paint the new parts and do alignment. They had to replace the rear gate, both bumpers, the floor well in the cargo area, and a couple quarter panels. Total estimate after they tore it apart was around nine grand. Luckily my deductible was waived because the insurance of the guy who rear-ended me said at the outset they would cover everything.

Does anybody have any experience with filing a diminished value claim? People have told me that "Idaho doesn't recognize" claims for diminished value but after some brief legal research I found no cases either way. The other guy's insurance company told me I would have to submit proof of the diminished value of my car. Right now, the only evidence I have is the fact that damage was so extensive that it required over $9,000 to fix. Any ideas about what sort of documents I could submit?

I am sure that when I eventually sell the van, I will get much less than it would have been worth had the accident not occured. On principle, I think I am owed for the value my car lost but I have doubts whether I will get even partially compensated for my loss.

Comment

Working...
            X