My Monthly Guitar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
    OK, that makes sense. Is it the amps electronics keeping the volume at level?

Maybe an EQ pedal would help me? I could set it to let more mids through?
    While that's technically a modeling amp and should react the same oftentimes they do not. An EQ pedal might work but adding all of those mids may make you punch through better but sound crappy.

I wish I had more experience with that amp so I could try some workarounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      While that's technically a modeling amp and should react the same oftentimes they do not. An EQ pedal might work but adding all of those mids may make you punch through better but sound crappy.

I wish I had more experience with that amp so I could try some workarounds.
      My holidays will be spent messing with my rig. There are worse ways to avoid the in-laws.
      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

My holidays will be spent messing with my rig. There are worse ways to avoid the in-laws.
        I recommend you gift yourself a Matchless DC30 for Christmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          so, i played a nashville at gc and it was indeed awesome. but you know what was crazy? i played a classic vibe squier and was really impressed. it might be the best guitar at that price point i've ever played. i would probably even pick it up over a mim. but at the end of the day, it says squier on the headstock and i don't think i can get over that. kind of lame, i guess.
          got a classic vibe 50s tele used a little bit ago and it rips. i might sand the squier decal off and put a fender one on though. i do wish the body was nitro, my poly guitars that look new despite a lot of play bum me out.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            got a classic vibe 50s tele used a little bit ago and it rips. i might sand the squier decal off and put a fender one on though. i do wish the body was nitro, my poly guitars that look new despite a lot of play bum me out.
            It will not look good unless you refinish the whole neck. My advice is to either leave it alone or buy a similar replacement neck from USA Custom Guitars which you can then apply the Fender logo and finish yourself.

Comment

• I finally pulled the trigger on an acoustic.

I joined the teeming masses who play a Taylor 114ce.

I figure some acoustic work will be good for my technique. At the very least, I'll learn how to play chords at the same fret to reduce string noise.

Comment

I finally pulled the trigger on an acoustic.

I joined the teeming masses who play a Taylor 114ce.

I figure some acoustic work will be good for my technique. At the very least, I'll learn how to play chords at the same fret to reduce string noise.
                It will clean your technique up. I recommend buying this and learning to play a bunch of the tunes. David Wilcox is a master of alternate tunings and capo tricks as well as being incredible at both fingerpicking and flatpicking. I especially recommend learning Eye of the Hurricane and Rusty Old American Dream for right hand accuracy and Language of the Heart for fingerpicking. Leave It Like It Is is also a great little ditty with some cool licks.

Comment

It will clean your technique up. I recommend buying this and learning to play a bunch of the tunes. David Wilcox is a master of alternate tunings and capo tricks as well as being incredible at both fingerpicking and flatpicking. I especially recommend learning Eye of the Hurricane and Rusty Old American Dream for right hand accuracy and Language of the Heart for fingerpicking. Leave It Like It Is is also a great little ditty with some cool licks.
                  Thanks. I'll check it out. I've been working on fingerpicking, but am need songs that will stretch me.

Comment

• If anybody knows of a good campfire song book for guitar, I'm in the market. All I've found so far are books written for piano that include some computer-generated BS chords.

Comment

• I've been using the blue tortex picks for years, as I've found they contribute a little to a warm tone and they don't slip out of sweaty hands.

But at rehearsal a guitar player handed me one of the heavy Fender celluloids, and I could tell that it improved my accuracy a little. It also had a lighter touch on the strings and didn't scrape as strongly.

What I need are hands that won't sweat during a performance!

Comment

• I use the the gray Dunlop picks with the knurled gripping surface.

Comment

• Fender celluloid tortoise shells is all I ever use. Different thickness depending on how much slapped string sound I want.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I use the the gray Dunlop picks with the knurled gripping surface.
                            I use the same. I always have a set of lighter gray ones.

My hands never sweat. Even if I'm drenched with sweat everywhere else. In one of my bands the bassist and I would swap guitars for a song. His hands were super sweaty and my guitar would come back soaked. Made my strings stink. I hated it. I eventually told him he had to borrow someone else's guitar. What a dick I was but my Strat deserved better than that.

Comment

• OK--stylistic/technical problem:

I'm playing the lead in Springsteen's "Lonesome Day." I'm in standard tuning, and during the verses I'm chugging between E flat and B flat.

The problem is that part of the solo is slide guitar, and capoed up. Live, The Boss has a guy play that slide part and that's all he plays for the song.

That's not an option for me, and the solo is too plain to just play it note-for-note without the slide. I'm considering wah pedal, chorus, some effect or something.

What would you do? Maybe I should hand off the solo to a saxophone? Or double with a sax? We have a sax player, but we don't bring him in until about two days before the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Id8mvbZd8
                              Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-12-2016, 06:14 AM.

Comment

OK--stylistic/technical problem:

I'm playing the lead in Springsteen's "Lonesome Day." I'm in standard tuning, and during the verses I'm chugging between E flat and B flat.

The problem is that part of the solo is slide guitar, and capoed up. Live, The Boss has a guy play that slide part and that's all he plays for the song.

That's not an option for me, and the solo is too plain to just play it note-for-note without the slide. I'm considering wah pedal, chorus, some effect or something.

What would you do? Maybe I should hand off the solo to a saxophone? Or double with a sax? We have a sax player, but we don't bring him in until about two days before the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Id8mvbZd8
                                Handing off a solo to a sax would be great in this instance. Also you can bag the slide solo (which was probably played in an open tuning) and just make up your own solo that hits the melodic points of the slide solo. I did this with the slide parts on REM's Man On the Moon.

Comment

Working...
                                X