Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Don’t listen to him, PAC. I have both.
    Listen to me PAC. If this is for your wife, get the Macbook Pro. I told my wife to get the Air, but she ended up getting the most pimped out Pro available, even though I told her she didn't need it. She got the Pro because she's a woman and she wanted the most expensive thing available, just on the off chance that one of her tennis friends might own something more expensive. JL thinks this a conversation about technology, but it's really a conversation about women (apologies in advance to any women I may have offended).
    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
      And PAC, I'd advise the MacBook Pro instead of the Air, just for the larger display, especially since you're transitioning from a desktop. Plus, the Pro has a little more cachet, if you're into that sort of thing.

Don’t listen to him, PAC. I have both.
      Gentlemen, gentlemen... I was incomplete in describing her needs and existing assets (Oh, knock it off, not THOSE needs and assets). Anyway, she already had a MacBook and takes it on trips. But when she's home and putting together her outstanding travel books, she likes having a large desktop and an extra monitor to move things around. Thus, we'll likely go with a new iMac, although she says she wants to try running the operating system through an external drive, which she already has. She can fool around with that, but I expect we'll be heading to the Apple Store for a new one after we return next week from Costa Rica. Thanks, as always, for the helpful info.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        Gentlemen, gentlemen... I was incomplete in describing her needs and existing assets (Oh, knock it off, not THOSE needs and assets). Anyway, she already had a MacBook and takes it on trips. But when she's home and putting together her outstanding travel books, she likes having a large desktop and an extra monitor to move things around. Thus, we'll likely go with a new iMac, although she says she wants to try running the operating system through an external drive, which she already has. She can fool around with that, but I expect we'll be heading to the Apple Store for a new one after we return next week from Costa Rica. Thanks, as always, for the helpful info.
        Never understood the appeal of the iMac. Get the Air with an external keyboard/mouse and ultra-wide monitor. Best of both worlds, especially with all the travel you two do.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Listen to me PAC. If this is for your wife, get the Macbook Pro. I told my wife to get the Air, but she ended up getting the most pimped out Pro available, even though I told her she didn't need it. She got the Pro because she's a woman and she wanted the most expensive thing available, just on the off chance that one of her tennis friends might own something more expensive. JL thinks this a conversation about technology, but it's really a conversation about women (apologies in advance to any women I may have offended).
          Your wife is weird. That sounds like something a guy would do.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Never understood the appeal of the iMac. Get the Air with an external keyboard/mouse and ultra-wide monitor. Best of both worlds, especially with all the travel you two do women.
            fify
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Your wife is weird. That sounds like something a guy would do.
              On this we can agree. Fortunately, I don't care how much my wife spends on her computer, because we signed a prenup and we handle our finances separately.

"The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

On this we can agree. Fortunately, I don't care how much my wife spends on her computer, because we signed a prenup and we handle our finances separately.
                Haha. Touche'

Comment

I don't have a lot of recent experience with Macs, but the one thing I would agree with is moving her on to a new device with the M1 chipset.

Comment

I got the new MacBook Pro a couple months ago. I love it but it was costly. I also got a widescreen monitor, which I love. So now I can use it in my study, which is where it sits 95% of the time. Then when I need it somewhere else I just pull out the USB-C cable and take it.

Oh, and if you decide to get a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, let me know and I’ll make you a cool docking station like this

image_11018.jpg image_10684.jpg
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I knew it was an honest mistake. I was just busting your balls. On another note, unless you're referring to Gig Young, don't ever say gig. Use GB.
                      Remember when we had to write papers by hand - I still have a box of old stuff from BYU - and the work was childish. Having a computer back in the day would have made school so much easier to learn and turn in work. I remember first hearing when students could submit work via email. That was a game changer. A lot of things have changed since you, me and Danny Ainge set foot on campus in the fall of 1977 for the first time.

I thing that I'd like to see in future models - are four cameras at the corner of the screen. That way the camera can look at you like you are looking at the center of the screen. My single camera is on top - and all people see is the top of my head - my buddy with a laptop makes us look up his nose. Scary stuff in there on Fridays.
                      Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-03-2022, 09:50 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

I’ll speak up here about using a desktop instead of a laptop. Since Mrs PAC already has a laptop, a desktop might be the better option. I was using a Machook Pro primarily as a desktop, and the battery went bad within a couple of years. It cost $200 to replace, as well as having to ship it to Apple support for a week. I have had this happen to work PC laptops as well. Batteries don’t do great when they are constantly charged, they are designed to be discharged and charged.

We went with the Mac Mini with M1 chip and 512 GB hard drive. It comes with 8 GB of RAM, but you can upgrade to 16 GB for a couple hundred dollars. It’s worked out well for us.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                          I’ll speak up here about using a desktop instead of a laptop. Since Mrs PAC already has a laptop, a desktop might be the better option. I was using a Machook Pro primarily as a desktop, and the battery went bad within a couple of years. It cost $200 to replace, as well as having to ship it to Apple support for a week. I have had this happen to work PC laptops as well. Batteries don’t do great when they are constantly charged, they are designed to be discharged and charged.

We went with the Mac Mini with M1 chip and 512 GB hard drive. It comes with 8 GB of RAM, but you can upgrade to 16 GB for a couple hundred dollars. It’s worked out well for us.
                          I would get a Mac Mini with a nice monitor way before I would get an iMac. That is my setup at home. Well, that and my MB Air.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

In this day and age, I don't get the desktop computer. Who wants to be incarcerated by their computer?

Comment

I would get a Mac Mini with a nice monitor way before I would get an iMac. That is my setup at home. Well, that and my MB Air.
                              Why do you say that? I’m ignorant to the mini, but from what I can tell you can configure the iMac and mini similarly?
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Why do you say that? I’m ignorant to the mini, but from what I can tell you can configure the iMac and mini similarly?
                                The iMac is a CPU/Display combo and if one part goes out, the whole system is toast. Also, the mac keyboard is a carpal tunnel machine and the single button mac mouse is dumb. For the same price you can get a Mac Mini with a nicer monitor and get your own keyboard/mouse. I am a huge fan of the Dell 34-inch ultrawide monitors, for example.

Comment

Working...
                                X