Apparently several generators are powered down for maintenance during the winter, and the unusually cold weather has knocked out others.
Roving Blackouts in Texas
Collapse
X
-
Tags: None
-
Yes, our power was out this morning but is back on now."If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
"Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
-
Are they blackouts, or are they darkness?
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx-aKSu548Q"]YouTube - Chris Rock - The Darkness Chasers[/nomedia]We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Comment
-
I just got the news at my work. Looks like ERCOT is mandating the blackouts, but they are only lasting 45 minutes. Looks like we'll have to have the fireplace on standby today.Originally posted by RedSox View PostApparently several generators are powered down for maintenance during the winter, and the unusually cold weather has knocked out others."Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf
Comment
-
We had one for 15 minutes today. Screwed up all the stoplights in my area and took me another hour to get to work.Originally posted by Eddie Jones View PostI just got the news at my work. Looks like ERCOT is mandating the blackouts, but they are only lasting 45 minutes. Looks like we'll have to have the fireplace on standby today.Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.
Comment
-
What the hell is a "roving" blackout?"Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon
Comment
-
I specifically told the operations people to target your area this morningOriginally posted by nikuman View PostWe had one for 15 minutes today. Screwed up all the stoplights in my area and took me another hour to get to work.
"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf
Comment
-
-
We had our second this morning. Looks like they are shutting down power for 10-45 minutes at a time in Dallas... I am about ready to get the power generator out of the garage and fire it up. I am getting tired of the internet going down.
Extreme Weather Forcing Rolling Blackouts in Dallas
Extreme cold weather in the wake of Tuesday's massive winter storm that struck much of the nation's heartland is causing unusual power spikes in Texas, leading the state's grid manager to order rolling blackouts.
The local NBC affiliate in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area said the Electric Reliability Council of Texas issued an order for the rolling blackouts to the state's utilities, with outages expected to last from 10-45 minutes.
The controlled blackouts are aimed at relieving stress on the power grid, the affiliate said on its Web site.
"The locations and durations of the outages are determined by the local carrier. Critical need customers such as hospitals and nursing homes are generally not included," said NBCDFW."If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
"Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
Yes, they are rolling blackouts or rolling outages, however roving is a cool term as it implies that some machine is roaming around and randomly cutting people's power lines. That could be a plot for a decent movie.Originally posted by nikuman View PostEJ can correct me, but I'm pretty sure they are called that in Texas too.
Here's the press release from my company:
HOUSTON - Feb. 2, 2011 - EJ's Company has started planned, controlled rolling outages following an order from ERCOT to curtail delivery of power to end-use customers in its great[er] Houston service territory. Beginning about 5:45 a.m., EJ's Company began implementing up to 45-minute systematic outages to an average of 330,000 customers on a rotating basis.
“This is a state-wide emergency and EJ's Company is complying with direct orders from ERCOT,” said someone who makes a lot more money than EJ. “Although we realize this is an inconvenience for our customers, these controlled rolling outages are planned emergency measures designed to avoid potentially longer, and more widespread power outages. We will continue these rolling outages until we receive direction from ERCOT that the electric supply in Texas has stabilized.”
EJ's Company has pre-determined which circuits/power lines will be systematically brought off-line or curtailed across its entire service territory in order to achieve the load reduction requested by ERCOT. The company’s goal is to avoid turning off circuits to facilities vital to safety, health and welfare, such as hospitals, BBQ restaurants, water treatment plants, sports facilities and public service facilities.
ERCOT is the organization entrusted to keep electric power flowing to approximately 20 million Texas customers - representing 85 percent of the state’s electric load and about 75 percent of the Texas land area. As the Independent System Operator for Texas, ERCOT manages the scheduling of power on an electric grid."Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf
Comment
-
If I had known you owned a power company I would have been nicer to you.Originally posted by Eddie Jones View PostYes, they are rolling blackouts or rolling outages, however roving is a cool term as it implies that some machine is roaming around and randomly cutting people's power lines. That could be a plot for a decent movie.
Here's the press release from my company:PLesa excuse the tpyos.
Comment
-
541 shares of stock baby! Bow down to me!Originally posted by creekster View PostIf I had known you owned a power company I would have been nicer to you."Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf
Comment
-
Originally posted by creekster View PostIf I had known you owned a power company I would have been nicer to you.I totally whiffed on this one and Creek probably set me up. Sorry for dropping the ball. I didn't realize the implied comedy (or tragedy) of a person that lives in California (at least I think you do) being nice to the guy that works for the power company in Houston. I should have knocked this one out of the park, but as with most of my humorous posts it dribbled slow enough to 3rd base that I was able to beat out the throw.Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post541 shares of stock baby! Bow down to me!"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf
Comment
Comment