Under a headline of: Detmer insists he's out of the loop on becoming a BYU football coach
Q - So Ty, have you been contacted by BYU about a coaching job?
A - "I mean, who wants an 0-10 coach, anyway?"
Sounds like no, but the answer to this hypothetical is "BYU would want a 0-10 coach if if were you. Have you been contacted?"
Fran must've pressed at least a little, because he continues:
" Detmer said he's gotten inquiries from "all kinds of people," none of whom are affiliated with the BYU program. "I hate to even comment on something like that," Detmer said."
So were any of them boosters? Or people recently fired, so they're not technically curently "affiliated with the BYU program"? Why exactly would you hate to comment on it, if none of them had anything to do with BYU?
Franchuck continues:
"Would he want to go back to college?
"I don't know. That's the thing. There's a lot unknown about what the job entails; the system guys are running," Detmer said. "I haven't been close to the program at all. There's a lot that goes into it...haven't explored it. I like what I'm doing right now. Coaching kids, not much travel, a lot of free time." "
Okay. But you consider coaching at the college level? "I don't know" and a bunch of humming and hawing - with a disarming south texas drawl - isn't really an answer. There certainly isn't enough there to say that Detmer "INSISTS" on anything. Franchuck didn't get a straight answer to his questions.
Conclusions:
1) Franchuck is a shitty interviewer.
2) The headline completely and totally misstates the content of the interview.
3) I don't know if Detmer is coming or not coming, interested or not interested, but this article doesn't prove a thing one way or another (see point 1). It adds nothing to the discussion. It only proves that Franchuck somehow got Detmer's phone number. It's kind of a waste of ink &/or electrons.
An unrelated point - Cougarboarders either only read headlines, have really poor reading comprehension, or both.
Q - So Ty, have you been contacted by BYU about a coaching job?
A - "I mean, who wants an 0-10 coach, anyway?"
Sounds like no, but the answer to this hypothetical is "BYU would want a 0-10 coach if if were you. Have you been contacted?"
Fran must've pressed at least a little, because he continues:
" Detmer said he's gotten inquiries from "all kinds of people," none of whom are affiliated with the BYU program. "I hate to even comment on something like that," Detmer said."
So were any of them boosters? Or people recently fired, so they're not technically curently "affiliated with the BYU program"? Why exactly would you hate to comment on it, if none of them had anything to do with BYU?
Franchuck continues:
"Would he want to go back to college?
"I don't know. That's the thing. There's a lot unknown about what the job entails; the system guys are running," Detmer said. "I haven't been close to the program at all. There's a lot that goes into it...haven't explored it. I like what I'm doing right now. Coaching kids, not much travel, a lot of free time." "
Okay. But you consider coaching at the college level? "I don't know" and a bunch of humming and hawing - with a disarming south texas drawl - isn't really an answer. There certainly isn't enough there to say that Detmer "INSISTS" on anything. Franchuck didn't get a straight answer to his questions.
Conclusions:
1) Franchuck is a shitty interviewer.
2) The headline completely and totally misstates the content of the interview.
3) I don't know if Detmer is coming or not coming, interested or not interested, but this article doesn't prove a thing one way or another (see point 1). It adds nothing to the discussion. It only proves that Franchuck somehow got Detmer's phone number. It's kind of a waste of ink &/or electrons.
An unrelated point - Cougarboarders either only read headlines, have really poor reading comprehension, or both.
Comment