If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
A couple months ago I looked into it enough to learn that it's not offered in my area. So that was the extent of my investigation.
Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss
There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock
I had never heard of it prior to this past weekend. Now I know that my sister, parents and aunt all have Uverse. They are all happy with it so far and, with the ATT bundle, feel like they save quite a bit of money. I didn't notice any problems while watching several football games on it, and my sister seemed to have as many relevant channels as DTV or Dish has.
I've had it for a while. Full disclosure - I get a company discount so I cut my TV bill in half (or more).
The good. One can DVR in any room and watch recorded programs from any room. That's not a big deal for me but might be for others.
The Bad. Can only pause on the TV set connected to the DVR unless recording the program. I miss that functionality.
Had DishNetwork before with DVRs on both sets. I really miss not being able to pause on the bedroom TV where I watch 75% of the time as the DVR is on the family room TV. Have yet to watch a TV program before midnight and not be interupted by the kids or spouse. I'm not kidding...and I don't watch a lot of TV.
Truth be told, I wouldn't have switched had it not been for the company discount. However, one might be able to save some $$$ depending on choices for DSL/Internet service and landline service because U-verse can bundle all those together for a competitive price. So I would price out landline, internet, TV service and compare separately or similarly bundled services.
Almost all people I've talked are happy with U-Verse. I didn't notice a big difference between U-Verse and Dish except for the pause functionality on secondary TV sets. The big plus for me was getting a lot of extra content (basically all channels) at a steep discount and slashing my satellite bill. Already had discounts for landline and DSL but hear from others that the whole U-Verse bundle is a good value.
“Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
"All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel
I've had it for a while. Full disclosure - I get a company discount so I cut my TV bill in half (or more).
The good. One can DVR in any room and watch recorded programs from any room. That's not a big deal for me but might be for others.
The Bad. Can only pause on the TV set connected to the DVR unless recording the program. I miss that functionality.
Had DishNetwork before with DVRs on both sets. I really miss not being able to pause on the bedroom TV where I watch 75% of the time as the DVR is on the family room TV. Have yet to watch a TV program before midnight and not be interupted by the kids or spouse. I'm not kidding...and I don't watch a lot of TV.
Truth be told, I wouldn't have switched had it not been for the company discount. However, one might be able to save some $$$ depending on choices for DSL/Internet service and landline service because U-verse can bundle all those together for a competitive price. So I would price out landline, internet, TV service and compare separately or similarly bundled services.
Almost all people I've talked are happy with U-Verse. I didn't notice a big difference between U-Verse and Dish except for the pause functionality on secondary TV sets. The big plus for me was getting a lot of extra content (basically all channels) at a steep discount and slashing my satellite bill. Already had discounts for landline and DSL but hear from others that the whole U-Verse bundle is a good value.
Thanks, gv.
Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss
There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock
I have been looking into Uverse given that I will no longer need Directv for the lousy mtn channel. I have been told that it will not support more than two HD programs at the same time to different TVs because of the bandwidth limitations of the copper pairs.
"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU. "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek. GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
I have been looking into Uverse given that I will no longer need Directv for the lousy mtn channel. I have been told that it will not support more than two HD programs at the same time to different TVs because of the bandwidth limitations of the copper pairs.
There is a limitation and think you may be correct although I don't remember for sure what it is. It may even be less than you think depending on the distance your house is from the hub. So it does have to do with the copper pairs from the neighborhood hub to the house. For this reason, Verizon Fios has the better technology as they are fiber all the way end-to-end. Not sure if there is a limitation on channels for that though - it can't be infinate but likely much more than 2 HD programs.
It depends on how many TV sets and channels you have going on at any one time. What it means is that if you are watching a HD program and are also recording a HD program and want to view a third program on a different TV, then you are screwed unless you watch the non-HD channels for both programs (while recording a 3rd in HD). Haven't run into this problem much since I have 2 TV sets and only one is HD capable. But it has happened. Recording a HD football game while watching another in HD and the wife turns on the bedroom TV to escape me. I had her convinced that her only option was to watch football with me. It lasted for about 10 minutes until she realized that her TV show came on every time I toggled over to a non-HD channel to catch a glimpse of another game. I've since lost my rights to record in HD for football games.
“Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
"All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel
There is a limitation and think you may be correct although I don't remember for sure what it is. It may even be less than you think depending on the distance your house is from the hub. So it does have to do with the copper pairs from the neighborhood hub to the house. For this reason, Verizon Fios has the better technology as they are fiber all the way end-to-end. Not sure if there is a limitation on channels for that though - it can't be infinate but likely much more than 2 HD programs.
It depends on how many TV sets and channels you have going on at any one time. What it means is that if you are watching a HD program and are also recording a HD program and want to view a third program on a different TV, then you are screwed unless you watch the non-HD channels for both programs (while recording a 3rd in HD). Haven't run into this problem much since I have 2 TV sets and only one is HD capable. But it has happened. Recording a HD football game while watching another in HD and the wife turns on the bedroom TV to escape me. I had her convinced that her only option was to watch football with me. It lasted for about 10 minutes until she realized that her TV show came on every time I toggled over to a non-HD channel to catch a glimpse of another game. I've since lost my rights to record in HD for football games.
Verizon FiOS doesn't have this limitation. They also don't broadcast their video over IPTV like Uverse does. However, it does get it's menu and various widgets via IPTV.
Comment