Holiday Traditions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CJF
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 8497

    #1

    Holiday Traditions

    We set up our Christmas tree today and it got me thinking. We have a young family and a multicultural family at that. We haven't developed a lot of yearly traditions yet, but I crave the stability and memories that family traditions create. What holiday family experiences to you all look forward to each year? Here is a few that we do.

    1. Family Christmas Movie Night. This was started by my older sister and her family. Turn the living room into a campground, have all sorts of snacks and fun foods, take turns picking the next Christmas movie. It has grown from her family to everyone. Last year my BIL set up 5 or 6 TV's networked together and we had about 50 people over. It was a blast. Typically we do this a couple of days before Christmas, but it has been moved to the first weekend in December this year to accommodate my family.

    2. Temple Square. When in SLC at Christmas time you have to go see the lights at Temple Square.

    3. Sub for Santa. It will be a little different here in the Philippines, but I think we'll be able to do more for less which will allow us to do even more. I'm really excited about this.

    4. The Christmas Village. I don't know why, but I love a good Christmas Village. I'm bummed that we won't have one this year.

    5. Turkey Bowl. We used to do this every year. Some times I would play in two or three different games. Now I'm old, fat and have terrible knees, but I think this is one I want to revive with my family.






    *Disclaimer: I'm sure there is another thread out there discussing this, but quite honestly I'm too lazy to search.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali
  • pellegrino
    miserere me
    • Jan 2009
    • 12100

    #2
    You set up your tree today?
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

    Comment

    • marsupial
      Mississippi Queen
      • Nov 2008
      • 3678

      #3
      Originally posted by CJF View Post
      We set up our Christmas tree today and it got me thinking. We have a young family and a multicultural family at that. We haven't developed a lot of yearly traditions yet, but I crave the stability and memories that family traditions create. What holiday family experiences to you all look forward to each year? Here is a few that we do.

      1. Family Christmas Movie Night. This was started by my older sister and her family. Turn the living room into a campground, have all sorts of snacks and fun foods, take turns picking the next Christmas movie. It has grown from her family to everyone. Last year my BIL set up 5 or 6 TV's networked together and we had about 50 people over. It was a blast. Typically we do this a couple of days before Christmas, but it has been moved to the first weekend in December this year to accommodate my family.

      2. Temple Square. When in SLC at Christmas time you have to go see the lights at Temple Square.

      3. Sub for Santa. It will be a little different here in the Philippines, but I think we'll be able to do more for less which will allow us to do even more. I'm really excited about this.

      4. The Christmas Village. I don't know why, but I love a good Christmas Village. I'm bummed that we won't have one this year.

      5. Turkey Bowl. We used to do this every year. Some times I would play in two or three different games. Now I'm old, fat and have terrible knees, but I think this is one I want to revive with my family.






      *Disclaimer: I'm sure there is another thread out there discussing this, but quite honestly I'm too lazy to search.
      NO! Thanksgiving comes first. I hate how it is always in Christmas's shadow. No Christmas anything until AFTER you eat turkey and pie. This is all wrong.

      As for us, I started making Arabic food for our Christmas Eve dinner. We usually hit the Mediterranean grocery/bakery/bar/restaurant afterwards for some baklava.

      Also, my kids get to open one present on Christmas Eve (a book) and that is the book we read to them before bed. Last year danimal and I exchanged book gifts on Christmas Eve as well.
      Last edited by marsupial; 11-01-2010, 06:20 AM.
      What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
      -Teenage Dirtbag

      Comment

      • marsupial
        Mississippi Queen
        • Nov 2008
        • 3678

        #4
        Also, we read from Luke 2 on the last FHE in November and then we talk about how we can give gifts to Christ by serving others. Then we try to come up with little service activities we can do as a family in the month of December.
        What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
        -Teenage Dirtbag

        Comment

        • CJF
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 8497

          #5
          Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
          You set up your tree today?
          Yes. My office building has had the tree and decorations up since the first week of September. It is Christmas season in the Philippines as of the 1st of September. We're late. I held off until Nov. 1st. Plus, we're leaving to the States in a couple of weeks, so we have a lot of things we need to do before going. We won't be back until mid December. We will be pretty busy as soon as we get back.
          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

          Comment

          • CJF
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 8497

            #6
            Originally posted by marsupial View Post
            NO! Thanksgiving comes first. I hate how it is always in Christmas's shadow. No Christmas anything until AFTER you eat turkey and pie. This is all wrong.

            As for us, I started making Arabic food for our Christmas Eve dinner. We usually hit the Mediterranean grocery/bakery/bar/restaurant afterwards for some baklava.

            Also, my kids get to open one present on Christmas Eve (a book) and that is the book we read to them before bed. Last year danimal and I exchanged book gifts on Christmas Eve as well.
            Keep in mind, not everyone in the world celebrates Thanksgiving. I also said holiday's, not just Christmas. I want to hear about Thanksgiving traditions also. I'm trying to help my family appreciate this holiday also.

            I really like the FHE idea. I think that is great.
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

            Comment

            • marsupial
              Mississippi Queen
              • Nov 2008
              • 3678

              #7
              Originally posted by CJF View Post
              Keep in mind, not everyone in the world celebrates Thanksgiving. I also said holiday's, not just Christmas. I want to hear about Thanksgiving traditions also. I'm trying to help my family appreciate this holiday also.

              I really like the FHE idea. I think that is great.
              The NO was referring to the fact that you had already put up your tree. Show some restraint. It's barely November. We can talk about Christmas, but it's too early to make everything look like Christmas.
              What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
              -Teenage Dirtbag

              Comment

              • Uncle Ted
                The Big 12 money shot.
                • Apr 2010
                • 28853

                #8
                Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                You set up your tree today?
                I was thinking the same thing. We usually don't get around to getting the tree out until around the first or second week of December and take it down usually before new years eve.

                We are not big into traditions but we do:

                - Tex mex on christmas eve. I always look forward to this because we go all out. Fajitas, chile rellenos, charro beans, and an egg on everything.

                - Watch a christmas story. We usually pull out the dvd every year even though it is on TBS or TNT about a 100 times in December.

                - Go to a bowl game. We usually always go to at least one bowl game. This year we have four bowls just in DFW to choose from: cotton, armed forces, dallas classic, and, of course, the superbowl. I doubt we will go to the superbowl but I was hoping for byu vs. army in the armed forces and michigan vs. texas in the dallas classic. I don't think it is going to happen.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • CJF
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8497

                  #9
                  Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                  The NO was referring to the fact that you had already put up your tree. Show some restraint. It's barely November. We can talk about Christmas, but it's too early to make everything look like Christmas.
                  Again, I live in the Philippines. They begin celebrating Christmas September 1st. Christmas season here is the "ber months" and they take it seriously. I held out 2 months, but that was as long as I could hold off my Filipino wife. Plus, what's wrong with celebrating Christmas early? Doesn't take away from Thanksgiving.
                  A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69716

                    #10
                    Memo to self: Never live in the Philippines.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • marsupial
                      Mississippi Queen
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 3678

                      #11
                      Originally posted by CJF View Post
                      Again, I live in the Philippines. They begin celebrating Christmas September 1st. Christmas season here is the "ber months" and they take it seriously. I held out 2 months, but that was as long as I could hold off my Filipino wife. Plus, what's wrong with celebrating Christmas early? Doesn't take away from Thanksgiving.
                      I really enjoy Christmas for about 3-4 weeks. But that is my limit. I enjoy taking my Christmas tree down and returning to regular life just as much (and maybe more) as I do putting it up and starting the holidays. Everything in moderation.
                      What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                      -Teenage Dirtbag

                      Comment

                      • CJF
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8497

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Memo to self: Never live in the Philippines.
                        I probably have painted the wrong picture here. It isn't nearly the commercial holiday that it is in the US. They take celebration seriously. Lights up through out the city. Trees in office lobbies. The one thing I do not like is the Christmas music playing every where you go. They also take Easter much more seriously than we do in the US. I find it refreshing. It's not all about making money and moving product. It's about the spirit of the holiday. The mood seems to change here during this season. And if it wasn't for wanting to preserve my love of Thanksgiving, I would be totally into it.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                        Comment

                        • Soccermom
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 4063

                          #13
                          Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. This post is pretty much our Thanksgiving traditions: http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showpo...9&postcount=36

                          The day after Thanksgiving, we get out the Christmas decorations, go see a movie, eat leftovers, and sometimes go shopping. I'm not a huge Black Friday person because I just don't like crowds, but we have found that heading to Macy's at 5 AM can be a fun experience because not many people stop there first on Black Friday and they have great deals too, especially for shoe lovers like me. This day is also the first day I play Christmas music.

                          Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, so for my family, we don't do Christmas music at home until after the holiday. But, I don't have issues with people play it sooner. Whatever floats your boat I guess. Having said that, I do agree with marsupial that those of us who are not Filipino and live in the states should not let Thanksgiving get swallowed up and forgotten about. There are a lot of Filipino families in my community though, CJF, so I see Christmas stuff come out soon too, even in violation of the city ordinances about holiday lights.

                          Comment

                          • happyone
                            Board Bookworm
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 5398

                            #14
                            Some of the traditions we have really wouldn't be available in the Phillipines, but here goes anyway

                            Here are some of our major ones

                            - go to the Festival of Trees - held the first weekend in December
                            - go to a major Christmas Concert, ie Mannheim Steamroller, TSO, Kurt Bestor, UT symponphy's Messiah etc Whoever is in town
                            - We still do a "real" tree, so the first monday of December we take all of the family, including my parents, an go to the local tree lot and purchase it. We save pocket change all year to pay for it.
                            - in addition to the Bible story, I alway read "The Littlest Angel", "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", "How Mrs Clause Saved Christmas" and the poem "Jest Before Christmas ..." on Christmas Eve
                            - our major dinner is Christmas Eve: Bone in Ham and Christmas Potatos( I posted the recipe last year if anyone is interested) along with trimmings

                            I may be small, but I'm slow.

                            A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                            Comment

                            • Surfah
                              Where's Wallace?
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 33726

                              #15
                              Thanksgiving is usually your typical fare. We usually go around the room and say something we're thankful for. We stuff ourselves and watch football.

                              I like Christmas. My mom goes nuts for Christmas. Decorations everywhere. They usually go up the weekend after Thanksgiving. Christmas Eve is a big dinner with all the trimmings. Usually ham or prime rib since we do turkey for Thanksgiving. Some years we have done a gift for Jesus type thing. One present under the tree is for Jesus and in it we put something we're going to do for Him. We read Luke 2 before doing presents. After opening presents we usually have a big breakfast. It's followed by playing all day, napping, and watching the Lakers.

                              New Year's isn't anything special except a few years ago my dad told us a story about my grandfather. He was fresh out of the military, newly married and not a buck in his pocket. All they had in the cupboards and fridge were some potatoes, milk, and canned corn. So he made a humble corn chowder for dinner. He promised himself and my grandma that they would never eat like that again. He made himself into a successful rancher, farmer, police officer and businessman. And though he never needed to again, he continued to fix himself some corn chowder on New Year's to remind himself of that promise. So now we do corn chowder on New Year's. I think it's pretty cool. New Year's eve we've been doing Chinese food lately.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...