Next time you see me, please kick me in the nads

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FMCoug
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 6825

    #1

    Next time you see me, please kick me in the nads

    Lack of sleep does interesting things to your mental acuity. I just accidentally formatted a 1TB external hard drive that has all my install source, VM templates, etc. on it.


    :igiveup:
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."
  • old_gregg
    scaly man fish
    • Nov 2009
    • 16915

    #2
    Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
    Lack of sleep does interesting things to your mental acuity. I just accidentally formatted a 1TB external hard drive that has all my install source, VM templates, etc. on it.


    :igiveup:
    is any of it recoverable? that sucks really bad.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

    Comment

    • FMCoug
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 6825

      #3
      Originally posted by camleish View Post
      is any of it recoverable? that sucks really bad.
      Nothing unrevoerable was on there. I had the install source for pretty much every piece of MS software on there ... hundreds of gigs. Which I will have to download all over again (Legally, smartasses). And of course the VM configs were just for saving time. So what I lost was a shitload of time ... that I don't have.
      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

      Comment

      • Slim
        Straight Out the Trailer
        • Jul 2009
        • 1007

        #4
        Wow that sucks.

        While I went to BYU I did computer support for much of the IT department. One day we got a call to go help a guy who couldn't get his CD burner to work. My buddy and I had both been working there for about 4 years and knew the guy was kind of an ass and known to be condescending to us so we decided to go up and check it out together.

        While we were there, he was demonstrating the problem and in doing so he quickly clicked on his secondary HD and clicked format then accepted the warning before we could say anything. After that we didn't know if he realized what he had done or not because he just went on to click on the correct drive after that as if nothing had happened. We didn't say anything because we figured he was probably just embarrassed about what he had just done.

        Anyway, we fixed his CD burner problem then got called up there a few hours later to handle the data recovery issue.

        Comment

        • Uncle Ted
          The Big 12 money shot.
          • Apr 2010
          • 28853

          #5
          Sorry to hear this, man.

          FreeNAS running ZFS and lots of drives is my friend for backups. Of course, this doesn't help you now but maybe it will help you in the future.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          Working...