Anyone want to venture a guess???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • statman
    Rabblerouser
    • Aug 2009
    • 2799

    #1

    Anyone want to venture a guess???

    Will a typical retail bar-code scanner be able to properly scan a picture of a bar-code from the screen of a typical customer's cell phone (ie - take a picture of a product's bar-code, display it on your phone, and swipe the phone to buy the item).

    I'm headed to Wal-Mart, Target and Harmons to see if they can. I'm testing four different phones at the three different stores. Store managers all know I'm going to be in their stores messing around with this experiment.

    Anyone want to guess? Anyone have a reason why they know it won't work?

    I really have no idea if it will work or not...

    I'm also thinking about making some phone calls to Europe with my co-workers' phones - just because I can...
  • Hsaru
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 1109

    #2
    Scanning coupon barcodes from Iphones work, I've seen it before.

    Comment

    • Chachi
      Junior Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 247

      #3
      It works from the droid cuz I've used it. I've had a coupon sent to my email and been able to have then scan it. My grocery cards are on an app as well that can be scanned by the cashier when checking out.

      Comment

      • Uncle Ted
        The Big 12 money shot.
        • Apr 2010
        • 28853

        #4
        It works on the iPhone as well... see the following thread:

        I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to scann an barcode off o the iphone screen. I recieved a train ticket confirmation via e-mail and need to take the printed confirmation to a kiosk at the station to print off the real ticket. the confirmation has a barcode which gets...


        There is even an app for that:

        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • ERCougar
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 10978

          #5
          I use this all the time. You can compare prices on amazon to anything you find in a store. In bigger cities, you can compare to other retailers, but pretty much everything in Cedar compares to our Walmart.
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

          Comment

          Working...