Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On a lighter note:

"How the wet-dog shake gets mammals dry in no time flat"

There’s a certain expression a wet dog wears as it trots up to you, a kind of gleam in the eye that says, “I’m about to shake so vigorously that in a mere 4 seconds, 70 percent of the water in my fur will fly off of my coat and on to you.”

But the wet-dog shake, though it’s an annoyance to us, may be a survival technique to dogs. The water that sticks to a mammal’s fur can lower its body temperature, causing hypothermia, so it behooves wild animals to get rid of all that water as quickly and efficiently as possible.

To find out just how efficient the wet-dog method is, researchers from the Hu lab at Georgia Tech filmed 33 different wet zoo mammals from rats to kangaroos to lions and tigers and bears (oh yes) with high-speed cameras and analyzed the motion of their bodies, skin, and fur. Their research was first published back in 2010, but their latest study, published in the Journal of the Royal Society Interface, improves their mathematical model of the wet-dog shake and reveals how much force the furballs can generate. (The paper is not yet online; we will provide a link when it becomes available.)

Dogs shake with a characteristic oscillation, twisting their bodies from side to side at a set frequency to generate so much centripetal force that water droplets go flying. The shaking animals observed in this study generated forces 10 to 70 times greater than gravity, a feat that was easier for the larger mammals.
    [YOUTUBE]AFzWJ6P2iyY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-18-2012, 11:24 AM.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
      Our family dog, Tucker, an almost 10 year old Golden Retriever is dying.

His appetite has crashed the past week, eating very little.
      Our Golden is really starting to show her age, too. She's hardly eating and looks awful. I hate to take her to the doctor because I don't want to know what's wrong.

Comment

• From across the street, I watched a mom last night set her kid down next to her car while she got her dog and put it on a leash. The kid ran out into traffic and the mom didn't drop the leash and lunge after her child. The cars stopped and the child was safe, but, man.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
          Our Golden is really starting to show her age, too. She's hardly eating and looks awful. I hate to take her to the doctor because I don't want to know what's wrong.
          That's tough. I know the feeling. What I learned this last time around is that it's better to know because there are very good, inexpensive palliative medications that can help the dog feel better at least.

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          From across the street, I watched a mom last night set her kid down next to her car while she got her dog and put it on a leash. The kid ran out into traffic and the mom didn't drop the leash and lunge after her child. The cars stopped and the child was safe, but, man.
          Yep. Some people have difficulty making important distinctions.
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

• Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
            Another thought that you probably will not like, but what about a Standard Poodle. Just don't groom it like the ones on the dog shows. High energy. Large. Can be protective/guardian like. Tolerant of kids and guests. Don't shed. Get a black one.
            We just got a standard poodle puppy. Personally, I think poodles are ugly. But this pup is growing on me. She loves our kids. She follows them around and wants to be wherever they are. Apparently, standard poodles really bond with the whole family, not just one person like their yappy, purse-sized counterparts.

We had a greyhound for 7 months. He bit my 4-year-old in the face, so we returned him to the rescue organization. Maybe someday when the kids are older, I'll get another greyhound. Until then, I am loving how playful this little puffball.

Also, I have a friend who runs with their standard poodle and the dog really loves it. When our dog is full grown, I'll probably start running with her, too.
            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
            -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

• Originally posted by marsupial View Post
              We just got a standard poodle puppy. Personally, I think poodles are ugly. But this pup is growing on me. She loves our kids. She follows them around and wants to be wherever they are. Apparently, standard poodles really bond with the whole family, not just one person like their yappy, purse-sized counterparts.

We had a greyhound for 7 months. He bit my 4-year-old in the face, so we returned him to the rescue organization. Maybe someday when the kids are older, I'll get another greyhound. Until then, I am loving how playful this little puffball.

Also, I have a friend who runs with their standard poodle and the dog really loves it. When our dog is full grown, I'll probably start running with her, too.
              Everyone I've ever known who had a standard poodle loved the dog and the breed. They're quite smart, too, I understand. Have fun.
              ― W.H. Auden

Comment

• We couldn't get this pit bull:

So we got this one:

Hard to get a good picture of this little guy. He is a little more camera shy than his namesake. Actually, we named him "Oso".

The kids love him, my wife tolerates him (he already made a deposit on the laundry room floor). Funny thing is, he loves my wife, he's been sitting on her lap all afternoon.
                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• pit bull

That is a no-go for me. Every pit bull that ever killed a baby started out looking like that. Same with rottweilers.

It does look like a cool puppy though
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    pit bull

That is a no-go for me. Every pit bull that ever killed a baby started out looking like that. Same with rottweilers.

We spent a fair amount of time looking at the mother (very nice temperament), and the litter as a whole. He was the mellow one.

While I don't think anyone should get a dog like this (PB, Rottie, Doberman, German Shepherd, Akita, etc.) cavalierly, if raised properly you can obviously modulate for good behavior. And he's not a full PB, which is supposed to help avoid undue aggressiveness. At least these are the things I tell myself.
                    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                      We spent a fair amount of time looking at the mother (very nice temperament), and the litter as a whole. He was the mellow one.

While I don't think anyone should get a dog like this (PB, Rottie, Doberman, German Shepherd, Akita, etc.) cavalierly, if raised properly you can obviously modulate for good behavior. And he's not a full PB, which is supposed to help avoid undue aggressiveness. At least these are the things I tell myself.
                      hopefully you aren't as tasty in real life as you seem to be online. Especially after smoking delicious meats on the Yoder.

Sleep with one eye open...gripping your pillow tight!
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        pit bull

I honestly thought SJ must be trolling. I wonder how much pit bull damage ERCoug has seen.

Comment

I honestly thought SJ must be trolling. I wonder how much pit bull damage ERCoug has seen.

I'm not sure why you think I'm trolling.

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post

I'm not sure why you think I'm trolling.
                            I don't know. I guess "I bought my kids a pit bull" just seems like something somebody would post on CB to get a reaction.

Comment

I don't know. I guess "I bought my kids a pit bull" just seems like something somebody would post on CB to get a reaction.
                              That's a good idea.

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• The dog "will maul, slash and kill things to death!" That was the reaction that I got when I tried to get a pit bull pup. I have always wanted one. I love the breed. Very loyal and loving animals, when raised correctly.

Did you fall in love with the breed when you were in Motown?
                                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Working...
                                X