Getting into BYU

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69735

    #16
    Originally posted by falafel View Post
    I remember hearing that BYU divided admissions into "zones," meaning if you were from a certain zone that typically had a lot of applicants, you had to have higher scores to get in. If you came from a zone with very few applicants, you could have lower scores. For example, its easier to get into BYU if you live on the east coast than if you live in Utah/Arizona/Nevada/California/Idaho. International zones were the easiest to get in from.

    My info comes from my best friend and college roommate who applied to BYU from England. He says this is what BYU told him.
    That's not what I was told by someone close to the process, but there might be some truth to that. I have known several people who did and didn't make it from different regions in the US and the cutoffs seemed to be at about the same place.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • Babs
      Not a Lawyer
      • Nov 2008
      • 17128

      #17
      Originally posted by kccougar View Post
      Not too early? I'd think he'd have a low score just because he hasn't really even been in high school yet.
      Yeah, maybe, but sophomore at the latest. You might want to go PSAT, though, because I think BYU averages ACTs and SATs. But if it were my kid I would want absolutely want a benchmark to work off of. Just to get the kid comfortable with the test, if nothing else. You don't want to have your kid find out spring of junior year that he had a bad day and is a full deviation below the mean at his dream school.

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #18
        Originally posted by Babs View Post
        Yeah, maybe, but sophomore at the latest. You might want to go PSAT, though, because I think BYU averages ACTs and SATs. But if it were my kid I would want absolutely want a benchmark to work off of. Just to get the kid comfortable with the test, if nothing else. You don't want to have your kid find out spring of junior year that he had a bad day and is a full deviation below the mean at his dream school.
        Definitely do the PSAT...Babs is right about the averaging...most schools that I've been at do this.

        My PSAT score was a full 200 points below my SAT...scared the crap out of me and made me take studying for tests more seriously, though I never really had to work in high school outside of math. Trigonometry was like the Trinity to me.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • thesaint258
          aka Benito Hazard
          • Jan 2009
          • 3005

          #19
          Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
          I know a number of folks who have gotten in with 3.1-3.4 gpa's with 26-29 act's. they let a lot of folks in for summer school like this.
          Summer is definitely the way to go if you're worried about getting in. It is a bit annoying going straight to college after graduation, but summer term was really easy. I'd also advise using spring and summer terms to take the general classes that you don't like. Most teachers make the homework a lot easier due to the compressed time frame.
          Not that, sickos.

          Comment

          • All-American
            Right, as Usual
            • Nov 2008
            • 15673

            #20
            Originally posted by Babs View Post
            Yeah, maybe, but sophomore at the latest. You might want to go PSAT, though, because I think BYU averages ACTs and SATs. But if it were my kid I would want absolutely want a benchmark to work off of. Just to get the kid comfortable with the test, if nothing else. You don't want to have your kid find out spring of junior year that he had a bad day and is a full deviation below the mean at his dream school.
            That's what happened to me. I took the test for the first time just before the start of my senior year. I got off a plane the day before, coming home from a family vacation, and I forgot to take a calculator.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

            Comment

            • Babs
              Not a Lawyer
              • Nov 2008
              • 17128

              #21
              Originally posted by All-American View Post
              That's what happened to me. I took the test for the first time just before the start of my senior year. I got off a plane the day before, coming home from a family vacation, and I forgot to take a calculator.
              They let the kids use CALCULATORS??!

              Comment

              • Surfah
                Where's Wallace?
                • Nov 2008
                • 33726

                #22
                I took the PSAT. I scored exactly 20 points higher on the SAT. My ACT was one of the busiest days of my life. It was actually held at my HS and I had like 3 things going on including the Winter Formal which I was in charge of. I'd run from the testing center during breaks to see how decorations were going.

                To be honest the best thing for any kid I think is to participate in as many things as possible. I was in every club, played sports, student government, and even held down a job. Those things help average test scores and grades.

                That said, I have a buddy who was all everything in HS (Lettered in golf, basketball, CC, and track and was Student Body President) with fantastic grades (I think he was second in his class) and test scores. He got rejected by BYU. He went to Ricks. At Ricks started the Investment club and Fly Fishing club. He got his associates in 2 semesters and a spring term. Went on his mission and transferred to BYU. Finished a degree in finance in two years and went to work for Marriott and is wildly successful for them working his way up. He's now comptroller at their Coronado resort and flies to Berkley every weekend while finishing his MBA there.

                I guess I am saying there are lots of paths to success. Getting into BYU is a worthy goal, but it's not the end of the road if it doesn't happen.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

                Comment

                • scandell
                  Life Glitcher
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 236

                  #23
                  Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                  Several of you have had children go to BYU in recent years. What's the definitive word on what it takes to be admitted?

                  I have a very intelligent but relatively lazy 14-yr old son that started 9th grade this year. He says he wants to go to BYU, and I want him to go to BYU if he can get in. What's the best way to go in high school to maximize his chances?

                  Straight A's in regular classes?
                  Take honors classes?

                  How about IB? Right now he is on track to participate in the IB program but from what I've heard about the amount of work required, I'm not sure that IB is best for him. Are IB classes weighted more heavily?
                  Move out of the country and have him enroll as an international applicant. Shoe in.

                  Comment

                  • doctorcoug
                    To Win is to Honor Him
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 2273

                    #24
                    I'm years out from it, but back in the day, ACT was supreme, especially for scholarships.

                    SO, get a good ACT score.

                    Or, do what I did:

                    1. get a "thanks for applying to BYU, however..." letter
                    2. Call Coach Hirschi at BYU Track
                    3. Coach Hirschi walks to admissions office
                    4. get a letter saying, "congrats on your academic excellence..."

                    My scores: GPA 2.9, ACT 21 and I took as much wood shop and choir courses as my high school would let me.

                    Just to be clear, I got multiple University Scholarships from the grade inflated Dept of Social Sciences as an economics major (after I quit racing for BYU).

                    My point is this...if he is lazy and doesn't like schoolwork, get him in a sport where he can succeed. That is an easy way to get into any university, including Ivy League schools.
                    "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

                    "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

                    Comment

                    • Babs
                      Not a Lawyer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 17128

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      That said, I have a buddy who was all everything in HS (Lettered in golf, basketball, CC, and track and was Student Body President) with fantastic grades (I think he was second in his class) and test scores. He got rejected by BYU. He went to Ricks.
                      I kid you not, I saw a Ricks bumper sticker today. I found it someone disconcerting that I knew what it was referring to.

                      Comment

                      • DU Ute
                        RIP CUF
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 7393

                        #26
                        Mods, can you change the title of this thread to "Getting into BYU" please? It is driving those of us with the wisdom to choose Utah over BYU a little crazy. Thanks.
                        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

                        Comment

                        • Shaka
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 10450

                          #27
                          There's always the route I took. UVU for a year and then apply for winter semester. My nephew took a similar route.

                          Comment

                          • doctorcoug
                            To Win is to Honor Him
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 2273

                            #28
                            Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                            Mods, can you change the title of this thread to "Getting into BYU" please? It is driving those of us with the wisdom to choose Utah over BYU a little crazy. Thanks.
                            There is an English/linguistics professor at BYU that would write papers and memos with glaring grammar issues that were common in spoken word, mainly to show his belief that spoken language can/should be used in written form as well, or so says my wife.
                            "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

                            "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

                            Comment

                            • Green Monstah
                              Royal Rooter
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 13970

                              #29
                              Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                              I'm years out from it, but back in the day, ACT was supreme, especially for scholarships.

                              SO, get a good ACT score.

                              Or, do what I did:

                              1. get a "thanks for applying to BYU, however..." letter
                              2. Call Coach Hirschi at BYU Track
                              3. Coach Hirschi walks to admissions office
                              4. get a letter saying, "congrats on your academic excellence..."

                              My scores: GPA 2.9, ACT 21 and I took as much wood shop and choir courses as my high school would let me.

                              Just to be clear, I got multiple University Scholarships from the grade inflated Dept of Social Sciences as an economics major (after I quit racing for BYU).

                              My point is this...if he is lazy and doesn't like schoolwork, get him in a sport where he can succeed. That is an easy way to get into any university, including Ivy League schools.
                              I can't pinpoint it, but something about this post bugs the hell out of me.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                              "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                              Comment

                              • Babs
                                Not a Lawyer
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 17128

                                #30
                                Originally posted by RedSox View Post
                                I can't pinpoint it, but something about this post bugs the hell out of me.
                                Hard to believe this guy got into med school, ain't it?

                                Comment

                                Working...