Budgeting/Financial Software

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Clark Addison
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10314

    #1

    Budgeting/Financial Software

    We used to use Quicken for our budgeting. Over the years, our income grew, online banking became more powerful, and we stopped using checks. So for the past few years, our budgeting process has been something like this:

    Step 1: Sock away a portion of each paycheck in savings
    Step 2: Spend the rest as we may throughout the month

    It's a system with a lot of advantages, and has worked well for us, but it also has some disadvantages, such as we have no clue where we are spending our money. Some months I will look at our statement and see, for example, $1,000 spent on 10 trips to Target, and I think to myself, "Well, that's odd".

    So I am looking for a new method. Are there any good, free alternatives to Quicken out there? Or non-free software that works better than Quicken? I suppose we could just use Excel (as I think some of you do), but I am under the impression that we could get more powerful budgeting, categorization, and tracking features with an out-of-the-box solution.
  • DU Ute
    RIP CUF
    • Dec 2008
    • 7393

    #2
    Mint.com is fantastic. I love their android app. All free!
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

    Comment

    • beefytee
      Board eye candy
      • Mar 2009
      • 7542

      #3
      We use mint as well.

      Comment

      Working...