"Tell me how. Much. Tell me how much." - The Cash Money Gift Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tell me how. Much. Tell me how much." - The Cash Money Gift Thread

Mrs. D and I don't argue about much, honestly. But one thing where we constantly disagree is how much to give for gifts. How much would you give for a wedding for the following individuals? (Assume for purposes of this questionnaire these are all first marriages.)

1) Close family member, i.e. niece/nephew or someone equally close. You see this person and/or their parents multiple times a year at family reunions and other family get togethers.

2) Distant family member i.e. a second cousin. You might see this person once a year in passing or maybe at an extended get together, but probably not more than that.

3) Close Ward Member i.e. the child of someone you served in a presidency with, a youth who was in a quorum or class you were over, a bishopric member's child.

4) Distant Ward Member i.e. you know the parents from being in the ward, but you were never close. Haven't ever gotten together for dinner or anything outside of church.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I think this is where we are on things right now.

1) $100
    2) $40, or maybe nothing if we blow it off. I should probably make it $50, but I'm usually pulling 20's out of my wallet.
    3) $40
    4) $40 unless we blow it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      Mrs. D and I don't argue about much, honestly. But one thing where we constantly disagree is how much to give for gifts. How much would you give for a wedding for the following individuals? (Assume for purposes of this questionnaire these are all first marriages.)

1) Close family member, i.e. niece/nephew or someone equally close. You see this person and/or their parents multiple times a year at family reunions and other family get togethers. $100 - 200

2) Distant family member i.e. a second cousin. You might see this person once a year in passing or maybe at an extended get together, but probably. $50

3) Close Ward Member i.e. the child of someone you served in a presidency with, a youth who was in a quorum or class you were over, a bishopric member's child. $100

4) Distant Ward Member i.e. you know the parents from being in the ward, but you were never close. Haven't ever gotten together for dinner or anything outside of church. $50
      wrt my answers just keep in mind i'm cheap af and won't try to argue otherwise.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

wrt my answers just keep in mind i'm cheap af and won't try to argue otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

ha. i hadn't seen your answers when i posted. sorry!
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            I think this is where we are on things right now.

1) $100
            2) $40, or maybe nothing if we blow it off. I should probably make it $50, but I'm usually pulling 20's out of my wallet.
            3) $40
            4) $40 unless we blow it off.

Comment

I send a $100 bill in each of those cases, and we’ll send something from the registry as well if it’s Category 1.
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

1. 250
                2. 100
                3. 100
                4. 50
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

1. 00000
                  2. 0000
                  3. 000
                  4. 000

I like to give gifts with lots of zeros.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

1)At least 250, and up to 500 depending on how many nieces and nephews you have. When Mrs. NWC has her way, and she usually does, it's been 500. The cycle of cheap Mormon wedding gifts has to stop.
                    2)100.
                    3)100.
                    4)If I got invited to the wedding, 50-100. If not, I'd do a Pelado.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

1) Close family member, i.e. niece/nephew or someone equally close. You see this person and/or their parents multiple times a year at family reunions and other family get togethers.

2) Distant family member i.e. a second cousin. You might see this person once a year in passing or maybe at an extended get together, but probably not more than that.

3) Close Ward Member i.e. the child of someone you served in a presidency with, a youth who was in a quorum or class you were over, a bishopric member's child.

4) Distant Ward Member i.e. you know the parents from being in the ward, but you were never close. Haven't ever gotten together for dinner or anything outside of church.
                      1. $200
                      2. $0 - I don't think I have any of those. If I do, they aren't inviting me to their weddings.
                      3. $50-$100 - $50 if I'm close with the parents. $100 if I'm close with the kid.
                      4. $ 0 - Not going either.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                      X