Warranties & Customer Service

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #1

    Warranties & Customer Service

    Lately I've had a good run of luck with getting companies to repair/replace their products that I've bought that have broken.

    I'm sure that some people will just try and take things back to Costco, but I created this thread for those experiences we can share about things that go well.

    Here are some of my recent success stories:

    1. I bought a 7" Calphalon Santoku knife at Linens N' Things in Harahan, Louisiana in Early 2004. About six months later, I was trying to pry some frozen collard greens apart and the tip broke off. I figured it was my fault, though it seemed a little too quick to break. In May I was splitting a butternut squash in half and it got stuck, so I took our honing stick and gently started tapping each side of it. All of a sudden, crack, the handle hit the floor and the blade stayed in the squash. I sent it off to Calphalon after checking their website for their warranty, including a letter explaining how it broke. 100% lifetime guarantee. I got a brand new knife in the mail. It's even nicer than the one I sent them (better handle, [7" Santoku] written on the handle end for easy id).

    2. I bought a pair of New Balance walking shoes at Sears in May. I wore them from mid-May until the beginning of July. One day I looked down and noticed the leather had split and was flaking off. I called them up, explained what was happening. They gave me an RMA#. I mailed them back, and yesterday I got a brand new pair of shoes in the mail with their apology.

    3. In Sept. 2005, my dad I bought matching Gerber Paraframe II knives to use in Katrina cleanup efforts. I lost mine in New Orleans. Since my dad died, I've carried his knife with me every day. When I was in Utah in June, I let my brother-in-law use it, and when he tried to unlock the blade, the catch snapped off, rendering the knife really useless because it is unsafe to try and cut with a big loose blade. I called Gerber, got an RMA# and included a letter explaining what I've said above. Today, I got TWO brand new knives in the mail from them with a note thanking me for "Contributing to the Legend."
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon
  • Lost Student
    BAND!
    • Nov 2008
    • 4324

    #2
    Once I bought some rancid chicken thighs from Wal*Mart. (Who hasn't?) I brought it back later that day and they not only refunded the entire amount, but they gave me some (non-rancid) chicken thighs for free.

    I learned that is their standard policy--refund and replace the defective meat. I also learned to never purchase meat from Wal*Mart.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

    Comment

    • doctorcoug
      To Win is to Honor Him
      • Jun 2009
      • 2273

      #3
      I got an iPhone 4 that has this really crappy reception issue, and Apple said they'd give me a piece of plastic to solve this issue...4-6 weeks from now.

      Never had such excellent service in my days.
      "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

      "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

      Comment

      • hostile
        lollygagger
        • Dec 2009
        • 5736

        #4
        4-5 years ago we bought a Yakima roof rack from REI. It has functioned well and gets pretty good use every year between vacation, camping, and skiing.

        Last summer one of the latch mechanisms broke making it impossible to secure the lid. I rigged a system with tie downs for a few trips. My wife called REI to see if the carrier could be fixed. They said if it was bought under membership they would just replace the rack or refund us the value which we could credit to purchasing whatever we wanted. We now have a brand new Yakima carrier (cost $ 500) that only cost me an additional $70. I love REI.
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

        "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37975

          #5
          Originally posted by hostile View Post
          4-5 years ago we bought a Yakima roof rack from REI. It has functioned well and gets pretty good use every year between vacation, camping, and skiing.

          Last summer one of the latch mechanisms broke making it impossible to secure the lid. I rigged a system with tie downs for a few trips. My wife called REI to see if the carrier could be fixed. They said if it was bought under membership they would just replace the rack or refund us the value which we could credit to purchasing whatever we wanted. We now have a brand new Yakima carrier (cost $ 500) that only cost me an additional $70. I love REI.
          I just joined REI as a member last month due to a promise of service like this. Glad to see that its true in practice. And to think, lifetime membership only cost me $20!
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • Pheidippides
            Liberal Feminazi
            • Nov 2008
            • 14759

            #6
            Originally posted by hostile View Post
            4-5 years ago we bought a Yakima roof rack from REI. It has functioned well and gets pretty good use every year between vacation, camping, and skiing.

            Last summer one of the latch mechanisms broke making it impossible to secure the lid. I rigged a system with tie downs for a few trips. My wife called REI to see if the carrier could be fixed. They said if it was bought under membership they would just replace the rack or refund us the value which we could credit to purchasing whatever we wanted. We now have a brand new Yakima carrier (cost $ 500) that only cost me an additional $70. I love REI.
            REI is not my favorite outdoor store (I do prefer local mom & pops when available) but I am a member and I love to go there. In fact, my wife does everything she can to keep me away simply to keep our budget under control.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37975

              #7
              Originally posted by nikuman View Post
              REI is not my favorite outdoor store (I do prefer local mom & pops when available) but I am a member and I love to go there. In fact, my wife does everything she can to keep me away simply to keep our budget under control.
              Are there mom and pop outdoor stores anymore? There used to be that place on State street in Provo/Orem (right in between, on the hill going up towards the mall). What was that place called?
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • beelzebabette
                Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
                • Nov 2008
                • 2907

                #8
                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Are there mom and pop outdoor stores anymore? There used to be that place on State street in Provo/Orem (right in between, on the hill going up towards the mall). What was that place called?
                Out N Back?

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37975

                  #9
                  Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
                  Out N Back?
                  That's probably it. Is it still there?
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Pheidippides
                    Liberal Feminazi
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14759

                    #10
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Are there mom and pop outdoor stores anymore? There used to be that place on State street in Provo/Orem (right in between, on the hill going up towards the mall). What was that place called?
                    There are in some places. I have a few favorites in Montana. When I lived in NJ, I used to go to the Campor HQ (kicks the lily ass of REI) and I still order from them online now and again.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                    Comment

                    • beelzebabette
                      Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 2907

                      #11
                      Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      That's probably it. Is it still there?
                      I haven't been by since basketball season, but I believe so.

                      Then again, I didn't realize Colosimo's had moved so I'm not too reliable.

                      Comment

                      • hostile
                        lollygagger
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 5736

                        #12
                        Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        I just joined REI as a member last month due to a promise of service like this. Glad to see that its true in practice. And to think, lifetime membership only cost me $20!
                        I've been a member since I was 13. That was 27 years ago and the cost was $10.

                        I don't buy all of my outdoor/recreation equipment from them. I've found that different stores carry varying brands of equipment. Online, however, you can order anything and have it delivered to the nearest store. REIoutlet.com occasionally has great deals on equipment.
                        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                        "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                        Comment

                        • FMCoug
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 6825

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
                          Once I bought some rancid chicken thighs from Wal*Mart. (Who hasn't?) I brought it back later that day and they not only refunded the entire amount, but they gave me some (non-rancid) chicken thighs for free.

                          I learned that is their standard policy--refund and replace the defective meat. I also learned to never purchase meat from Wal*Mart.
                          I can't tell you how much rotten meat we've gotten from Wal-Mart. They have a real problem with this.
                          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #14
                            Back in early June, my Tritton headset broke when I sat it down on the table to use the loo. I tried to brace it with chopsticks and masking tape, but it wouldn't stay on right (and it hurt). I called them up, got an RMA, mailed it off. Last week, I got a brand new headset in the mail in that crisp computer product cardboard packaging. I'm still horrible at MW2, but at least I can hear the footsteps of my assassin approach.
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37975

                              #15
                              Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                              I can't tell you how much rotten meat we've gotten from Wal-Mart. They have a real problem with this.
                              That you've had more than ONE rotten meat experience at Wal-Mart tells us as much about you as it does the store.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              Working...